marrying in tunisia

Rachel ambrose

I had 4 days before my wedding, just you need to be prepared as much as possible and complete your papers when you arrive, generally pretty straightforward
What was the longest period you stayed/ visited in tunisia for before you declared you wanted to get married there?

What paperwork did you need?

sass

I only had 1 or weeks at a time on holiday, really there is no minimum to stay there before marriage, as long as you complete as much as the paperwork as possible before arriving there.
The biggest hassle is timing of your birth certificate, both you and your fiance should have this less than 21 days old, this is why I arrived just before my wedding. You also need a Certificate of No Impediment ( CONI), this needs to be less than 3 months old and can be done through your local registry office, it takes 28 days. If you have been married before, you need your divorce certificate, obviously your passport. You will need all these translated which my husband and I managed to complete in 3 days. If you look on the British Embassy website for Tunisia they will list exactly what you need, I contacted them several times and found them very helpful. Good luck!!

scotty_bambam

Sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by banns?
You have to phone your local registry office and make appointment they take your details and display them for 3 weeks,so if anyone had objection they'll come forward.then you are given a certificate of non impediment..CONI which you take to embassy in Tunis to get translated .you need a birth certificate no older than 3 weeks when you marry.decree absolute if you've been married before,and you have to get everything translated when you get there.you need a blood test..there are lots of posts about it.have a read.

Rachel ambrose

I only had 1 or weeks at a time on holiday, really there is no minimum to stay there before marriage, as long as you complete as much as the paperwork as possible before arriving there.
The biggest hassle is timing of your birth certificate, both you and your fiance should have this less than 21 days old, this is why I arrived just before my wedding. You also need a Certificate of No Impediment ( CONI), this needs to be less than 3 months old and can be done through your local registry office, it takes 28 days. If you have been married before, you need your divorce certificate, obviously your passport. You will need all these translated which my husband and I managed to complete in 3 days. If you look on the British Embassy website for Tunisia they will list exactly what you need, I contacted them several times and found them very helpful. Good luck!!
Thank you for all the information.

You got the documents translated at the british embassy un Tunis 3 days before your wedding? Just to make sure i understand.

This has been very helpful!

Rachel ambrose

You have to phone your local registry office and make appointment they take your details and display them for 3 weeks,so if anyone had objection they'll come forward.then you are given a certificate of non impediment..CONI which you take to embassy in Tunis to get translated .you need a birth certificate no older than 3 weeks when you marry.decree absolute if you've been married before,and you have to get everything translated when you get there.you need a blood test..there are lots of posts about it.have a read.
Thank you for your help!

I have had a read through but im not finding much information on the blood tests. Did you have these done in Tunisia and how long did it take for the results?

scotty_bambam

Thank you for your help!

I have had a read through but im not finding much information on the blood tests. Did you have these done in Tunisia and how long did it take for the results?
You go to a local doctor and can get results next day

scotty_bambam

Thank you for your help!

You only get the CONI translated at the embassy.you have to find s certified translator for the other papers.

sass

hmmm, my husband had a friendly doctor, I never actually went myself, he explained the situation and got my certificate, don't actually advise doing this, we were short of time, but there's not strict laws placed on it. Regarding the registry office, I had to wait 28 days, provide all my information and that of my husbands, his address, work, etc. The CONI is translated into French at the Embassy, you need an appointment to do this which you make online, my husband made alot of preparations with the notaire beforehand, I sent copies by email a couple of months before with the information I had, we had a lovely translator too, her English was excellent. Depends where your fiance lives, my husband lives in Tunis so everything is easily accessible, email the Embassy if you are unsure of details, they take a few days to reply sometimes but are very helpful

Rachel ambrose

hmmm, my husband had a friendly doctor, I never actually went myself, he explained the situation and got my certificate, don't actually advise doing this, we were short of time, but there's not strict laws placed on it. Regarding the registry office, I had to wait 28 days, provide all my information and that of my husbands, his address, work, etc. The CONI is translated into French at the Embassy, you need an appointment to do this which you make online, my husband made alot of preparations with the notaire beforehand, I sent copies by email a couple of months before with the information I had, we had a lovely translator too, her English was excellent. Depends where your fiance lives, my husband lives in Tunis so everything is easily accessible, email the Embassy if you are unsure of details, they take a few days to reply sometimes but are very helpful
Sounds more difficult than I thought. Where did you get your birth certificate translated?

sass

I ordered a copy of my b c a few months before for timing etc
I emailed this to him, just so he had my name for the notaire. when I had another one done, I took it with me, I then had it translated in Tunisia, no translations here, really it seems difficult, but it isn't, just step by step, if your fiance contacts where you intend to get married, they too can help. the only thing you do here in the UK is your birth certificate and your CONI, everything else in Tunisia, just make sure your timings are right

sass

There are many translators, just make sure they are certified

scotty_bambam

Thank you for your help.

What did your husband have to do to marry you?
Not run away.lol.sorry.I don't think he had to do anything apart from show birth certificate and give parents details and address.certainly nothing you need to worry about.

Rachel ambrose

Not run away.lol.sorry.I don't think he had to do anything apart from show birth certificate and give parents details and address.certainly nothing you need to worry about.
Lol yeah that always helps!

How long did you plan your wedding for?

scotty_bambam

Lol yeah that always helps!

How long did you plan your wedding for?
We agreed to marry December 2013 and I just left everything to my husband.he found a venue,my input was to suggest registrar come to hall and do the actual legal stuff there rather than a separate visit to municipality.

Rachel ambrose

We agreed to marry December 2013 and I just left everything to my husband.he found a venue,my input was to suggest registrar come to hall and do the actual legal stuff there rather than a separate visit to municipality.
So it was only the town hall that needed to see your birth cert, medical cert? You just go to the embassy to translate the CONI?

Also how did you confirm the marriage in the UK?

Just to make sure i have that right :)

scotty_bambam

So it was only the town hall that needed to see your birth cert, medical cert? You just go to the embassy to translate the CONI?

Just to make sure i have that right :)
Well apparently you don't even need to go te the embassy to translate CONI anymore.we did.it was a hassle. We stayed 2 nights in Tunis.but you need to find a translator who is a notaire to translate everything then take to municipality I stayed in the car oh and your blood test

Rachel ambrose

The embassy have told me to go to them for the CONI to be translated and it would be translated there and then?

Im assuming the blood tests will be in arabic or french anyway if there are done by a Tunisian doctor.