Medinat Alzahra Parc - Kalaa Kebira

kellyc

Hi All,

I have just arrived home from the Medinat Alzahra Parc in Sousse.

I would definately recommend this to anyone visiting or even living here, it was the most amazing experience.

This is their website Medinat Alzahra Parc | Tunisie

We arrived at the Parc at around 6.30 pm where there was a small show going on, we then went for a little stroll around the massive castle! at about 7 we were led for dinner which was a 4 course meal and we were entertained by dancers and a fakir show during dinner. The dinner was actually reasonable based on the number they were catering for.

Then the most spectacular show followed at 9.30 pm, the Sound and Light Show - wow I cant even explain how amazing this was and the effects they have created is just jaw dropping, its a story explaining over 3000 years of civilisation, it includes the history, dancing, fighting absolutely everything with fantastic animators to perform this show.

I would truly recommend this to anyone - we paid 30 dinar for the whole evening which is nothing for what you get. However the drawbacks are it is very hard to get there without a tour guide, taxi's are not allowed to drive you direct to the parc but you can get a taxi to kalaa kebira and then a louage which is allowed to take you! You will also find that from Sousse if you ask the taxi's hardly anyone knows how to get there. However you can go with the tour reps in the hotel and the price is approximately £25 for the evening.

Anyway just a quick update on the Parc if you want more info then feel free to ask or check out their website which shows you what the Parc entails.

This is one big thumbs up!

flstate1989

do you have any pictures? I kind of wanna see what that looked like.

kellyc

Hi

Hi

If you visit the website, link provided on my original post, you will see pictures and also find more information, we did take pictures on my friends camera that came with us as soon as she has them, I can post them :)

flstate1989

that looks pretty neat. I don't think they have any actual pictures though that's why i was asking. thanks.

kellyc

Hi

Hi

It is definately a fantastic show, the website does show a slideshow presentation of the show and you will see? but anyhow as soon as i get the pictures i will upload them.

RachaelLahmar

Kelly

Hiya,

I would like to go to this if i come in december. Do you know if it is just for teh summer or when it ends? How long does it take to get there and how do you organise a tour guide person??

Sorry 4 all the questions!!!

kellyc

Hi

Hi ya,

No its there permanently actually built there and i believe its open all year round, though i would contact them by email when you arrive as we had the light and sound show outside, but the way these storms are going i wouldnt fancy it, but i think they have an indoor arrangement for that problem.

To get there, i would say to anyone go with a tour guide or at least have a tunisian speaker with you, if it wasnt for Hosny we wouldnt have found it and even he found it mission impossible to get any sense from anyone!

If you want to go with the tour guide you can pop into any hotel as all hotels are catering for the trip now, personally i would say go with a tour guide, we went seperately and it was a little unorganised, but 100% worth a fab night out.

Heres the email I recieved from them:

The park alzahra works on

Thursday : French , English and German

Friday : French , italian and English

Saturday : French , german and Russian

The Dinner starts at 06h30 till 09pm

The show from 09h30 till 10h45 pm

Welcome

Hedi 20 782 701

(The show is translated in all languages so make sure to go on a Thursday or Friday if you want it in English)

I would say give them an email to confirm everything before - the email address is
resa medinat -alzahra.com

RachaelLahmar

Kelly!

Thanks for that ! Ireally wait to be a tourist when i come over there, it makes a difference fromliving there 3years and acting and being treated like a tunisia!:rolleyes:

samwella

i really wanted go last week but due to the 'rain' kinda put a stop to that!!

oh well will have something else to look forward to next time

RachaelLahmar

Kelly

Forgot to ask! How long does ittake to get there?:p

Thanks

kellyc

Umm

ummm well on the way there it took about 20 - 30 minutes, on the way back it took about 15 minutes, but this is because on the way back the louage we had to get took us straight home as opposed to the taxi on the way there that took us to kalaa kebira who had no idea where he was going ;)

Essem

Staff member
Address -Route de Kondar - Kalaa Kebira, Sousse, Tunisie. Infoline: (+216) 73 309 422

The park is built on 30 hectares. It offers extraordinary folklore shows that gives you an insight into Tunisian history.

The decor, the sound and the lights redrawing the history of the Tunisia make you eager to know more about that Country.

Admission cost 35 TD (TC currently charging 70TD) - doors open 6.30pm

parc.jpgparc1.jpg

Aslemma

I went to this a few years ago with a friend and her Tunisian fiance and it was fantastic. I can't remember the price now but know it included a meal and entertainment before we went outside for the main event. The only problem is, unless things have changed since then, it is very difficult to get to unless you drive or go with an hotel group. My friends having booked on the phone we tried two taxis from Sousse, neither of which had heard of it apparently. The third taxi took us part way there where we changed to a louage. This driver was fantastic as not only did he give us his phone number to pick us up afterwards but dropped me right back to my hotel and my friends to their apartment in Hammam Sousse. Since it was advertised on the side of all the 'noddy trains' in Sousse I was surprised at the lack of transport.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Aslemma,

Yes it's the other side of Kalaa Kebira on the road to Kondar - out in the sticks. (And the Folklore Baloum is even further out!)

It seems to be a very popular event though.

Aslemma

It deserves to be popular but it does need to be easier to get to, both for independent travellers who don't have a hotel rep (or don't want to pay their prices) and for locals who don't drive.. What and where is the Folklore Baloum you mention?

Essem

Staff member
It deserves to be popular but it does need to be easier to get to, both for independent travellers who don't have a hotel rep (or don't want to pay their prices) and for locals who don't drive.. What and where is the Folklore Baloum you mention?
Hi Aslemma

I agree - more and more of these places are opening up in remote spots which are difficult to get too if you don't have a car.

FB is more as and when you want to book an event there with the odd festival from time to tome.

It is even further out than MAP - continue on the same road to Kondar and it's on the right hand side.

Aslemma

I very much doubt I'll have occasion to go to Folklore Baloum but I'd really like to go to Medinat Alzahra again, though not in November if I'm back in Sousse then.