Meeting with the British Embassy in Sousse March 2016

Lorie

Hello, everyone, the British Embassy Outreach team is trying to arrange a meeting in March with any expats in Sousse who would like to discuss any concerns or ask any questions about the current situation. For security reasons, they do not wish to publicly advise when and where the meeting will take place. They will contact anyone interested directly for an invitation.

If there is anyone who is interested in attending the meeting could you inbox me as soon as possible with your name and a contact number/email address and I will forward it to the consul for them to contact you.

Many thanks

Essem

Staff member
Thank you so much for the information Lorie and I hope that as many expats as possible will make the effort to come to the meeting as the more information people have, under the circumstances, the better.

Lorie

Thanks Essem - I am really surprised and a little disappointed at how few people have responded - this is everyone in Sousse's chance to find out what is going on and what the Embassy has to say about it -they are not looking to make a record of who is in Sousse they just want to pass on information whilst having a drink and some nibbles.

Scottochott

I have tried to summon up interest, very disappointed at the lack of response, disturbing how little people care or understand the situation. There also seems to be a common theme of hiding under the radar of the authorities, makes you wonder what they are hiding or running from!

gem15

Or maybe some of us have heard it's a pointless exercise from those that have attended the Hammamet meeting. Also some of us have been told by a Thomas cook manager its not going to tell us anything different than we don't already know.

Aslemma

Also some of us have been told by a Thomas cook manager its not going to tell us anything different than we don't already know.
Since when did anyone trust anything they hear from Thomas Cook?

gem15

Since when did anyone trust anything they hear from Thomas Cook?
Since the big manager here has her regular meetings with the embassy
and the security forces
working along side the Tunisian authorities. She attended the meeting in Hammamet and said the embassy won't tell us anything of use. All people want to know is when flights will be operating again.

It's not like they did a great job contacting the ex pats here during the revolution either. Plenty of people were meant to be on the "list" but none were ever contacted at all.

pbf

Have been in Yasmine Hammamet/Hammamet 3 times now since the Sousse attack You see plenty of police /security but what you also see is them on their mobile or texting while on duty How can that make people feel safe when cars and people are passing them and they don't even notice coz they are busy with phones

June

Have been in Yasmine Hammamet/Hammamet 3 times now since the Sousse attack You see plenty of police /security but what you also see is them on their mobile or texting while on duty How can that make people feel safe when cars and people are passing them and they don't even notice coz they are busy with phones
Please! They've stopped numerous things from happening since last attack, did u want them to stop every car? They know exactly who their looking out for, was it every roundabout u seen them on their phones? Their also risking their lives for us

Mrs K

I've just been to hammamet last week for our honeymoon, the police were very active and stopping lots of people all the time, I felt very safe there, however the place was almost deserted, very sad to see! People were still amazingly warm and friendly though, we had a lovely time :) x

Selmi

I've just been to hammamet last week for our honeymoon, the police were very active and stopping lots of people all the time, I felt very safe there, however the place was almost deserted, very sad to see! People were still amazingly warm and friendly though, we had a lovely time :) x
Yeah we got back on Saturday have to agree with you Susan x

Essem

Staff member
Or maybe some of us have heard it's a pointless exercise from those that have attended the Hammamet meeting. Also some of us have been told by a Thomas cook manager its not going to tell us anything different than we don't already know.
But you might have different questions from everyone else that you'd want to ask. I prefer to have first hand information than depend on others to keep me informed.

Essem

Staff member
Since the big manager here has her regular meetings with the embassy
and the security forces
working along side the Tunisian authorities. She attended the meeting in Hammamet and said the embassy won't tell us anything of use. All people want to know is when flights will be operating again.

It's not like they did a great job contacting the ex pats here during the revolution either. Plenty of people were meant to be on the "list" but none were ever contacted at all.

And this is something you could bring up with them at the meeting.

gem15

And this is something you could bring up with them at the meeting.
It was already mentioned to them after everything died down after revolution via an email to the ambassador but no change unfortunately. My friend works very closely with the embassy and if I need info she'll give it to me even if it's off the record.
Plus I don't think they would appreciate a newborn at the meeting with me but if I change my mind I know where and when it's being held.

Essem

Staff member
Again if no change it could be queried why not? Put them on the spot.

I prefer face to face rather than dealing with someone hiding behind a keyboard.

Unfortunately, I'm not in such a privileged position to have insider knowledge and information so will go along even if it's just for the tipple and the nibbles

Scottochott

It was already mentioned to them after everything died down after revolution via an email to the ambassador but no change unfortunately. My friend works very closely with the embassy and if I need info she'll give it to me even if it's off the record.
Plus I don't think they would appreciate a newborn at the meeting with me but if I change my mind I know where and when it's being held.
Could you share where and when it's being held please

gem15

Could you share where and when it's being held please
Did u not see Lorie's message where they want to keep it secret for security reasons and posting in an open forum wouldn't be wise would it!!!! If you want to know and attend maybe sign up and they will contact you direct or if u just want to be nosey ask an ex pat friend of yours to attend.

Scottochott

Well it's obviously not much of a secret, perhaps you could send either myself or Essem a pm with the time and venue. I know several people who wish to attend and they all have far more important questions than when flights restart.

Lorie

Hi everyone I now have the time and place so will email all those who have shown an interest so far. Gemma it would be lovely to see you there and your ne born. There are various subjects the outreach team want to discuss but they really would like the input of the local expats - this is everyone's chance to ask them questions. If anyone is interested please inbox me by Monday at the latest to ensure your name will be on the list.

gem15

Well it's obviously not much of a secret, perhaps you could send either myself or Essem a pm with the time and venue. I know several people who wish to attend and they all have far more important questions than when flights restart.
Then those people can obviously email Lorie then.

@Lorie I will see if I can make it, if you like you can put my name on the list.