Military discharge form ...how do we get one ??

montasbaby

Can anyone advise how to get a military discharge form from Tunisia, my fiance needs it for his visa application, I have heard different stories and wondered if anyone had any experience with this ,
thanks in advance

Jane BM

Can anyone advise how to get a military discharge form from Tunisia, my fiance needs it for his visa application, I have heard different stories and wondered if anyone had any experience with this ,
thanks in advance
What type of visa is he applying for? What country are you living in Montasbaby? Has he done the military? If he has, then he'll have his discharge form....

montasbaby

What type of visa is he applying for? What country are you living in Montasbaby? Has he done the military? If he has, then he'll have his discharge form....
Hi Jane, he has applied for Pmv subclass 300 I am in Australia he is in Tunisia . he has never done any military service but they have asked for a discharge form, it seems in Tunisia you have to pay to get one :/ I just wondered if anyone had any advice

Trulymadlydeeply

Is he exempt from having to do the military service? All Tunisian men "should" complete their service. Of course many don't for a number of reasons.

Jane BM

Hi Jane, he has applied for Pmv subclass 300 I am in Australia he is in Tunisia . he has never done any military service but they have asked for a discharge form, it seems in Tunisia you have to pay to get one :/ I just wondered if anyone had any advice
Oh I'm not sure, it's not a requirement from the UK for them to have either done the military or for them to have discharge papers.

As Truly says, are there any reasons that would perhaps make him exempt from doing it? Buying your way out now without having done any kind of service doesn't really happen anymore. They generally do have to do an initial period, however negotiating a fee UP FRONT to get out early.

My husband didn't do the military, but as it wasn't a requirement for his visa to the UK I guess we were lucky....he's now exempt anyway because of his age and his residential status here in the UK.

The best thing I can think of for him to do is to tentatively make enquiries over there as to how long he would need to serve/pay before he could get them.

Is it DEFINITELY a requirement for a visa for Australia?

montasbaby

Oh I'm not sure, it's not a requirement from the UK for them to have either done the military or for them to have discharge papers.

As Truly says, are there any reasons that would perhaps make him exempt from doing it? Buying your way out now without having done any kind of service doesn't really happen anymore. They generally do have to do an initial period, however negotiating a fee UP FRONT to get out early.

My husband didn't do the military, but as it wasn't a requirement for his visa to the UK I guess we were lucky....he's now exempt anyway because of his age and his residential status here in the UK.

The best thing I can think of for him to do is to tentatively make enquiries over there as to how long he would need to serve/pay before he could get them.

Is it DEFINITELY a requirement for a visa for Australia?
Thanks Jane , the request came from Cairo who are processing his visa application , so i guess they really do want it. I didn't know it was needed until a few days ago :/

Jane BM

Thanks Jane , the request came from Cairo who are processing his visa application , so i guess they really do want it. I didn't know it was needed until a few days ago :/
Have you checked first with the Australian embassy website. If it's like here, they have an absolute specific list of requirements for each visa, if it's not on there Montasbaby then you could question as to why they're asking for it...because if it's not a requirement, then it's not grounds for a refusal.

montasbaby

Have you checked first with the Australian embassy website. If it's like here, they have an absolute specific list of requirements for each visa, if it's not on there Montasbaby then you could question as to why they're asking for it...because if it's not a requirement, then it's not grounds for a refusal.
oh ok yes i will do that and see what it says thanks

Mezoo

VIP Member
be careful when he asks you to "pay" for this paper. a quite common scam this is.

montasbaby

be careful when he asks you to "pay" for this paper. a quite common scam this is.
Hi Mezoo I did look on the internet before i saw your comment and i found that if they have a job and don't want to do their military service they can pay the difference from what they earn and what the military wants them to pay...so they do have to pay ... this was passed in 1975 National Service Law...how much i do not know . I am sure some people do get scammed by people who are out to just get money :/ I just wondered if anyone had any experience in getting this paper.

Mezoo

VIP Member
i found that if they have a job and don't want to do their military service they can pay the difference from what they earn and what the military wants them to pay...so they do have to pay ... this was passed in 1975 National Service Law...
never heard the "pay the difference" story before. the law's out there for sure, but I couldn't tell you where to find Tunisian law online. it's exact though with deferments and such(1 child family for example).....seen it before in French. as well there is the usual corruption to get out of the military, so when reading online anecdotal stories I'd take it with the proverbial grain of salt...

montasbaby

never heard the "pay the difference" story before. the law's out there for sure, but I couldn't tell you where to find Tunisian law online. it's exact though with deferments and such(1 child family for example).....seen it before in French. as well there is the usual corruption to get out of the military, so when reading online anecdotal stories I'd take it with the proverbial grain of salt...
Tunisian Miltary Service

Hello dear friends,

I was reading few threads in the forum and I saw a pervious one about military conscription in Tunisia, and read some posts that you cab "bribe" to pay your man out. This process is called "Individual Assignment"

Well this is NOT TRUE and it's wrong to mis-understand what is really going on.

Maybe, your bfs don not speak English very well, may they gave you a wrong idea about the country, and maybe they want you to think that.

Well it's not the issue, I want to explain that the military service is obligatory in Tunisia.

The Tunisian constitution stipulates in article 15 that:

“Every citizen has the duty to protect the country, to safeguard its independence, its sovereignty, and the integrity of the national territory. The defense of the homeland is a holy duty for every citizen"

The Census

From the age of 18, every Tunisian citizen is requested to the military census.

The military training:

At the end of the basic military training, the young recruits will be transferred to military units and could follow a professional training in various specialties at Professional Training Centers belonging to the three Armies and the central corps.

Individual assignments :

Every 20-year-old citizen is able to carry out his national service within the framework of the individual assignments and so for:
Citizens who exercise a liberal profession.
Citizens who have private industrial projects.
Civilian servants belonging to the State, or local collectivities or public institutions.
Those called up for the military service could choose one of the two next ways of a basic military training:

A non-stop 21-day training.
An open training period: military training in the nearest military installation, Sundays by fortnight from 09am to 5pm for a 21-day period.
The rate of monthly financial participation in the charge of the conscripts, who are called up for the accomplishment of the national service within the framework of individual assignments, is set up as follows:

Category
From 0ne to Twice the minimum guaranteed wage 30%

From Two to Four times the minimum guaranteed wage 40%

Over Four Times the minimum guaranteed wage 50%

Minimun Wage in Tunisia is 170 dinars

The assigned individual commits himself to monthly pay a contribution rate to the Funds of the National Service

In case of non-payment of the mentioned contribution, within the agreed timeframe, the Minister in charge of the National Defense would set an end to the posting of the concerned individual and authorize his transfer to one of the Armed Forces' units for the remaining period.

Category
Wage of the affected individual

The deferment from the national service accomplishment

The deferment from the national service accomplishment could be spared for a renewable year, to each 20-year-old citizen as far as he comes under the following cases:

Having a brother serving in the military.

Be in charge of one of the following persons that because of the
conscription, could be left without living resources:
o A father temporarily unable to work for health reasons.

o A widowed or divorced mother.

o At least a non married sister.

o At least a brother of less than 20 years, still studying on a regular base.

o One or several children under judicial tutelage in which the elder is under 20.

Carrying out his studies in Tunisia or abroad in higher or secondary public teaching establishment or in public training centers belonging to the public sector.

Carrying out his studies in Tunisia or abroad in private high or secondary teaching establishments or in private training centers, which are acknowledged by the official authorities.
NB:
The deferment from the national service accomplishment is not attributed to the citizens who:

Have interrupted their studies.

Following evening courses.

A citizen temporarily in support of his family and has in charge at least a sister who is not yet married.

A citizen following his study in Tunisia or abroad in the public establishment of high or secondary education or in training centers belonging to the public sector

A citizen following his studies in Tunisia or abroad in the private establishment of high or secondary education or in training centers acknowledged by the Ministry in charge.

A citizen working and staying abroad under the age of twenty-eight.

Exemption from national service accomplishment.

Every citizen is exempted from the national service if he is:

Acknowledged as medically unfit to the military service by the medical service related to the regional centers of conscription and mobilization.

Acknowledged as indispensable for family support because he is in charge of one of the following persons, who, from the fact of his conscription, would be deprived of sufficient resources to live :
One or several legitimate children.

° A wife whose marriage has been consumed since over two year.
° A father at least 65 years old or disabled to 60 per cent or over.
° A disabled sister or brother.

° being over 28 years and proves that he continues to work and legally live abroad.
° Being over 35 years old.

DUAL NATIONALITY:

If you have dual nationality Tunisian-French or Tunisian-Algerian or Tunisian-Turkish and you live in one of the above, you are under the age of 20 years, so you have to Service in the country of your residence unless you want to accomplish it in another state.
forwarded to the competent authorities.

SO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS SO YOUR MEN DO NOT FOOL YOU FOR MILITARY MONEY OR ANY "BRIBE" STORIES

For more info you can visit the defence department website Defense - Welcome

montasbaby

maybe he explained it that way but it is what the above posts says ...21 days and pay some money depending on earnings

Jane BM

maybe he explained it that way but it is what the above posts says ...21 days and pay some money depending on earnings
The problem is it isn't quite a clearcut....wish it was!!

There are so many conflicting stories and it seems the rules are everchanging and like everything in Tunisia, it is open to bribery....however I know that the exemptions have stayed pretty much the same. As for paying their way out, it did used to be 21 days, however I know of a few people who in recent months have had to do 3/6 months regardless of paying their way out.

montasbaby

The problem is it isn't quite a clearcut....wish it was!!

There are so many conflicting stories and it seems the rules are everchanging and like everything in Tunisia, it is open to bribery....however I know that the exemptions have stayed pretty much the same. As for paying their way out, it did used to be 21 days, however I know of a few people who in recent months have had to do 3/6 months regardless of paying their way out.
yes so many different stories ..i have read the most of the thread about the military requests and the lies :/ and the different time people can do it for, he is looking into it but i think he has to do the minimum time and pay his way out to get the form so he can get the visa...time will tell

Jane BM

yes so many different stories ..i have read the most of the thread about the military requests and the lies :/ and the different time people can do it for, he is looking into it but i think he has to do the minimum time and pay his way out to get the form so he can get the visa...time will tell
So you checked with the Australian embassy and it's definitely a requirement?

montasbaby

So you checked with the Australian embassy and it's definitely a requirement?
I just had an email from them and they say an exemption letter will be accepted ...so it is up to him to go and see what he can do now ...will probably need to ask for more time as they gave us 28 days to get what they ask for :/