Moving to Tunisia-advice needed

alison

Hi, Can anyone advise me please, we are moving in September and will be driving with our 2 dogs, I thought that was stressful enough but I am trying to sort out a container and agent in Tunis to help with the customs. The Tunisian embassy in London are not very helpful with anything, I was told that as a return resident (my husband is from Tunisia) I was able to move any household goods duty free. So we have being been buying items for the house over in Sousse. I have just read that any item less than six months old will be liable for duty, does anyone know if this is the case or if there is a way around it?

Scottochott

If your husband has an FCR he can return to Tunisia with goods to furnish a house duty free. As with nothing in Tunisia, advice varies according to whom you speak to, but these are the rules as I understand them. The best way if possible is to speak to Tunisian customs directly before you travel, preferably with a visit to Tunisia and an agreement before you do your move

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
If your husband has an FCR he can return to Tunisia with goods to furnish a house duty free. As with nothing in Tunisia, advice varies according to whom you speak to, but these are the rules as I understand them. The best way if possible is to speak to Tunisian customs directly before you travel, preferably with a visit to Tunisia and an agreement before you do your move

+1

Expect the unexpected.

If I move back i will just sell the stuff in the Uk and buy stuff over there and bring things like photos etc. Just the hassle of customs.

alison

Do you have any contact numbers for customs, I have tried the embassy on numerous occasions and have been trying to call a number in Tunisia, but no-one answers, we are not able to go over before the move. I think I will unpack everything out of original packaging and repack in our own to try and avoid problems, many thanks

alison

+1

Expect the unexpected.

If I move back i will just sell the stuff in the Uk and buy stuff over there and bring things like photos etc. Just the hassle of customs.
As ever nothing is ever simple over there, we must be mad lol

alison

I saw this post from a while ago and through I would give you an update, we did it!!!
We moved here just over a year ago and yes you were right the customs were a nightmare! We hired a container and moved everything over and then we drove with our dogs in the car. It took many days to clear the items through customs and you had to cross many palms with silver in every office. It seemed that for the first 6 months all my husband did was go from one office to another everyone wanting a 'thank you' payment for just doing the job they were paid to do. I foolishly thought that as we were very organised and had everything and more that they required things would go smoothly, I learned very quickly that this is Tunisia..... well let's see what the next year brings!

Donna Said

Do you have any contact numbers for customs, I have tried the embassy on numerous occasions and have been trying to call a number in Tunisia, but no-one answers, we are not able to go over before the move. I think I will unpack everything out of original packaging and repack in our own to try and avoid problems, many tUOTE]
we moved to Tunisia last year taking our household stuff overland with one dog and a left hand drive UK registered car it's best to unpack all new items and state all items are over six months old on paperwork customs seem particular interested in tv and all electric items. it was very stressful at customs took nearly all day to clear customs, we had to pay duty tax, not sure how much will check with hubby and get back to u, we had all the paperwork for the dog but still had to pay something extra to vet for the right form to be signed

alison

Hi Donna, I found that anyone I called would not answer my questions and often didn't answer at all. I got as much information as I could on the internet. I have had a look this morning and found this website https://www.gov.uk/living-in-tunisia, it is new so we didn't use it but maybe it will help.

As for out household goods. You are not allowed to bring new items into the country, and most of our things were brought for our house here, so to save a little money on packaging we unpacked each box, removed the bar code and turned the box inside out then repacked it. It is really time consuming especially as we had a fitted kitchen from Ikea so we had loads of boxes, but I felt better as I didn't know what to expect when the container arrived.

They do take everything out of the container and you will have to choose 2 workers from the port who remove the boxes and then open them, just keep your eye on they as they use a knife to open the boxes, watch they don't damage any thing. They then put it back, anyway they can get it in, so I did get cross with them, as we had packed everything with such care.

I had my own copy of inventory in French and English, which helped when they were asking what was in each box. Also don't mix items, for example all kitchen item's in one box, all ornaments in another box, it just makes life easier.

It is a long process and won't be done in a day, you need lot's of stamps and extra money to help things move along as quickly as you can, there is a cafe outside the port but I suggest you take some water and snacks with you as it is not easy to enter and return back through the customs office, they didn't want me in at all, again I had to get a little cross to be allowed in.

Scottochott

Hi Donna, I found that anyone I called would not answer my questions and often didn't answer at all. I got as much information as I could on the internet. I have had a look this morning and found this website https://www.gov.uk/living-in-tunisia, it is new so we didn't use it but maybe it will help.

As for out household goods. You are not allowed to bring new items into the country, and most of our things were brought for our house here, so to save a little money on packaging we unpacked each box, removed the bar code and turned the box inside out then repacked it. It is really time consuming especially as we had a fitted kitchen from Ikea so we had loads of boxes, but I felt better as I didn't know what to expect when the container arrived.

They do take everything out of the container and you will have to choose 2 workers from the port who remove the boxes and then open them, just keep your eye on they as they use a knife to open the boxes, watch they don't damage any thing. They then put it back, anyway they can get it in, so I did get cross with them, as we had packed everything with such care.

I had my own copy of inventory in French and English, which helped when they were asking what was in each box. Also don't mix items, for example all kitchen item's in one box, all ornaments in another box, it just makes life easier.

It is a long process and won't be done in a day, you need lot's of stamps and extra money to help things move along as quickly as you can, there is a cafe outside the port but I suggest you take some water and snacks with you as it is not easy to enter and return back through the customs office, they didn't want me in at all, again I had to get a little cross to be allowed in.
Thanks Alison, very informative. I have always advised people to do the opposite, ie bring only essential personal items and buy everything here. You can get everything you need in Tunisia these days, and given the current exchange rate most things are cheaper. Given your experience, would you do the same again?

alison

Good question, I am not sure is the honest answer. You certainly can get a lot more here than I thought and the exchange rate is great. It was very stressful, I honestly though I would collect my things and be on my way but it took about 2 weeks and 4 trips to Tunis, so if you are looking for an easier life my advice would be fly over and buy here.