Moving to Tunisia - salary & accommodation questions

Elly

Hello everybody,

my name is Elly and I am a new member. I would appreciate any info on the following:
I have been offered a teaching position (salary: 1800 TND). Would I be able to support myself and my 2-year-old son? I am a single mother with no other source of income.
How much does accommodation cost? I am looking for a single 2-bedroom flat/house.
Thanks so much for your help!

Trulymadlydeeply

Hi Elly and welcome to the forum. What part of Tunisia will you be staying in? Is that a monthly salary? What will you do for child care? Sorry for all the questions but will help to know with your budget for a flat.

Elly

Hi Elly and welcome to the forum. What part of Tunisia will you be staying in? Is that a monthly salary? What will you do for child care? Sorry for all the questions but will help to know with your budget for a flat.
Thank you sooo much for your reply! Actually the monthly salary is 2800 TND (wrong calculation! I feel so stupid!) and I would like to stay in La Marsa. It would be great to be able to find a nanny for my son. Thanks so much!

Essem

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Elly and happy posting!

Jane BM

Hello everybody,

my name is Elly and I am a new member. I would appreciate any info on the following:
I have been offered a teaching position (salary: 1800 TND). Would I be able to support myself and my 2-year-old son? I am a single mother with no other source of income.
How much does accommodation cost? I am looking for a single 2-bedroom flat/house.
Hi Elly and welcome to the forum.

2800 TND is quite a decent wage for Tunisia. What exactly will you be teaching? Have you been to Tunisia before? Aware of the culture etc? How did you come across this job offer?

If I was in your shoes I'd take a trip over there first to ensure I could live there and more importantly that there was the resources available to look after my son. Rental prices can vary quite a lot, I think La Marsa is a more affluent area so rental prices may be quite high, however the cost of living is minimal in comparison.

Is it a permanent contract or are you just looking to move for a short while? Is it a definite contract? Watertight?

Sorry for so many questions again...lol

ROULLA

Hello everybody,

Hi Elly and welcome to the forum!
You say that you will be earning around 2,800 tnd and if so then yes that will be more than enough for you to survive on.
La marsa can be quite expensive because it is not far from Sidi bou said which is also a very beautiful place but the thing to remember is to try and find accommodation from here if you can.
Do you know anyone who lives in La marsa that you trust and is able to help you find accommodation ?
We have a member on here called Mossy and if I am not mistaken I think that he lives in this area so it might be worth having a chat with him as he may know some people who may find you a nice place for a great price.
It will be cheaper if the owner knows that you would like this long term and it will be cheaper but make sure that you find a place close to the train station,hospitals,doctors, shops and nursery for your child as you don't want to be getting yourself tired running around after work .

I found this nursery in La marsa but it is for you to check out

Cité Jinène Eddounya - La Marsa (Derrière Carrefour)
Tél: +216.26.26.21.22
E-mail: [email protected]
Here it is for you to see
http://www.kidzy.tn/

Here are a few agencies that you could look at for accomadation
http://www.mondinion.com/Real_Estate/country/Tunisia/region/Tunis/city/La_Marsa/
http://www.homelidays.co.uk/la-marsa/apartment-flat-327619en1.htm
http://www.only-apartments.com/apartments-la-marsa.html
You may also try this and see what they have on this thread http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/renting.1349/page-10

Good luck anyway:)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I will be honest.

2800 sounds good but....
  • Your a single mother and want a very safe and secure place to stay without a reduction in lifestyle. I would expect your employer to find you a place to live to be honest as it will be a pain for you to find. Also if your not careful to find a lovely apartment/house may be near 1000 dinars +. Minimum must be guarded as even in la Marsa I have had friends robbed.
  • Will you be walking or driving? if so you will need a car which costs £££££
  • Your child I take it you will want them to have a UK standard education and be taught English so if you go home they will transition well. For me this came in around 10,000 dinars a year as my wife is Tunisian for you it will be more as the ISC and american school are now more expensive.
Its not that easy really and requires a lot of help which your employer should provide.

Elly

You are all wonderful...thank you sooooo much for your help. I will let you know about what happens asap and I will answer your questions too. I am having a difficult day - my son is teething!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I visit a lot of hotels in the UK and they have in the main a few foreign workers these days.

They expect to be given the option of accommodation either on site or near work otherwise they just cannot get started.

I would expect you new employers to rent a place for you near the other teachers and also get the school driver to come get you in the mornings.

The other issue is that your getting paid just over £1250 per month which is good for Tunisia but you wont being buying a mansion on your return so any job for this amount is more of an adventure than a money making venture.

And dont forget the NHS also you will need medical insurance etc etc

Trulymadlydeeply

Good points there Kris especially with such a young child, no just nipping off to the GP and getting free prescriptions...

Scottochott

Kris has made some very valid points, on the surface the offer seems ok, but there is a lot to be taken into consideration. I think we are all concerned that you do not know enough about what you are walking into. Do you have friends/contacts over there? What made you choose Tunisia? It is not the easiest country for a single lady on her own with no previous knowledge of it, you will need support, and the more I think about it, with a 2 year old son I'm not sure the salary is sufficient unless the job is also offering a support network for you both. Think very carefully. Perhaps if you can feel able to share more info we may be able to offer more tailored advice. Do not rush this decision, it sounds like a very big step!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same issue I was doing ok in Tunisia and I thought the kids are now near school age where do i want to be long term so....
  • House to rent/buy near best place to work Tunis Lac area vs Golden Triangle Norwich (rent 1500/2000 dinars vs 800/900£ about the same. To buy 800,000/1,000,000 dinars vs £300,000-£400,000). problem was to have "as nice" it was more expensive in Tunis.
  • Job if things did not work out Tunis = 0-2000 dinars per month (would realistically have to start a company) Norwich 2000-3000£ per month + all the benefits if loose money/job.
  • School for the kids Tunis 3 x 6000 dinars ISC = Norwich outstanding school covered by tax.
  • Medical well assuming no serious illness i spent about 100-150 dinars a month on doctors visits with each visit costing 40 dinars odd or more with 3 kids you find yourself going a few times a month.
  • Car expensive in Tunisia but cheap to run UK wins as can go to the auction and buy a BMW 5 series for about 15k or cars of that ilk. I have a ford Galaxy at the moment lovely car 10-15k Tunisia = 50,000 dinars +
  • Safety either on the road most likely place of death > assault its no comparison Norwich is safer unless you walk down prince of wales road when everyone is drunk.
So basically I summarised that when your on your own Tunisia is fantastic especially if your in Bizerte or Sousse etc. However if you want to move where the jobs are it quickly becomes as expensive as living in Europe as I have said before the savings are all sucked up buy the expensive Tunis property market and education/medical costs.
I loved living in Tunisia the people and the weather are fantastic and my social life was better. However you find me a house in Tunis for £300,000 in an area where there the average salary is 20,000£, you can walk to the shops and shopping malls/cinemas, where there is a university and a 1 billion $ hospital within 10 minutes.......you can't.

Hi guys I've had a read through this can anyone tell me if you have moved from the UK to Tunisia have you taken children with you? If so what ages and how did they transition to such changes?
Is work difficult to get for a non tunisian citizen? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys :)

Scottochott

Work is very difficult, unless you have French and Arabic language skills and could fill a post that a Tunisian can't then options are very limited. You may possibly find work for a foreign company, some of whom are allowed to employ foreigners but your best bet is to set up your own business of some kind

Thanks Scott
What about schooling I know they have private schooling however which would be better? My boy is 8 in November the language barrier is the biggest fear and him not adapting is worrying thanks for the advice

Scottochott

Thanks Scott
What about schooling I know they have private schooling however which would be better? My boy is 8 in November the language barrier is the biggest fear and him not adapting is worrying thanks for the advice
Others can answer better than me, I know there was something on another thread recently, can anyone point Lindsey to it? It would be a huge change for him but kids are very adaptable and quick to learn at that age, I'm sure he'd integrate quickly, possibly easier than yourself, lol!

Ok thanks il try and have a look thank you

Lorie

My children are both in private school in Sousse and my husband is tunisian but it is still difficult. I spend all day driving back and forth from school, my children also have extra study lessons because, although they speak Arabic well they lack the grammar cos we always speak English at home. Children do adapt but Tunisian children can be very mean to foreign children, and despite all the promises they won't, teachers do hit the children esp the boys. Mine get a lot of homework and there is very little I can help them with (my Arabic writing is too basic) my husband has to help them so it is difficult if you do not have someone who reads and writes arabic and French well. I don't want to put anyone off who wants to come and live here, but if you are bringing young children and your husband isn't Tunisian, please think very carefully. It is a huge commitment and will be very stressful for you. You won't find any notices about events, holidays or exam dates written in English - you will be expected to find out everything for yourself! The benefit is your child will speak 3 languages at the end of it, but schooling here is very pressurised and competitive.

Trulymadlydeeply

Very good honest information Lorie what ages are your children?

Yes my partner is tunisian... How old are your children? Have you been there since they were very young? My boy will be 8 in November and also he has ADHD so I'm obviously very apprehensive about the situation and what it would entail.... Do they enjoy school? Thanks again for your replies