New English language requirement for partners

bosshoss

NEWs!! attention plz !! the English Language Test a necessity for the settlement visa

New English language requirement for partners its a necessity for the settlement visa

14 June 2010

From autumn 2010, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English.

You will need to meet the requirement if:

■you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and
■you are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled here; and
■you want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person's husband, wife, civil partner, fiance(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-*** partner.
The new requirement was announced on 9 June 2010 in a news story on this website.

When will the requirement be introduced?
We will introduce the requirement by way of changes to the Immigration Rules in autumn 2010. A firm date will be confirmed on this website in due course.

What will you need to do?
If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country (see below), you will need to pass an acceptable English language test with one of the UK Border Agency's approved test providers.

In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills.

When you make your application to us, you will need to provide evidence that you have passed the test.

We will publish details of acceptable tests and approved test providers on this website in due course.

You will need to pay for your own English language test. The cost of a test will vary according to your test provider and country.

What is a majority English-speaking country?
If you are a national of a majority English-speaking country, you will meet the English language requirement automatically. You will not need to take a test.

We consider that the following countries are majority English-speaking countries:

■Antigua and Barbuda
■Australia
■the Bahamas
■Barbados
■Belize
■Canada
■Dominica
■Grenada
■Guyana
■Jamaica
■New Zealand
■St Kitts and Nevis
■St Lucia
■St Vincent and the Grenadines
■Trinidad and Tobago
■the United States of America

bosshoss

http://www.britishcouncil.org/tunisia-exams1-adults-2.htm

this is the test thay ur partner need to pass, it cost 195 dinars its the only test that is recognized by the british embassy in tunisia, so if ur partner english level isn't that good he need to have lessons there at least 40 hours so he can have an A1 level,
i m booking my test for 17 july cause i belive my english level is fine but who knows if im good enought so maybe ill meet one of ur husbands or wifes there ;) cheers

Hbrown1

Banned
Hi bosshoss,

Guess who's going to school, yep my hubby theres free english lessons up here in Inverness.

You know this is soooo bloody cheeky, i went shopping last week and went up and asked a guy where something was and he muttered something in polish to me which i didn't understand.

He then looked right through me, i don't mean any dissrespect to anyone who is polish, but do you understand where i'm coming from xx xx

Hbrown1

Banned
http://www.britishcouncil.org/tunisia-exams1-adults-2.htm

this is the test thay ur partner need to pass, it cost 195 dinars its the only test that is recognized by the british embassy in tunisia, so if ur partner english level isn't that good he need to have lessons there at least 40 hours so he can have an A1 level,
i m booking my test for 17 july cause i belive my english level is fine but who knows if im good enought so maybe ill meet one of ur husbands or wifes there ;) cheers
Good luck to you hun xx xx

Soltef

Hi bosshoss,

Guess who's going to school, yep my hubby theres free english lessons up here in Inverness.

You know this is soooo bloody cheeky, i went shopping last week and went up and asked a guy where something was and he muttered something in polish to me which i didn't understand.

He then looked right through me, i don't mean any dissrespect to anyone who is polish, but do you understand where i'm coming from xx xx
Yesssss!lol-I think we all need to learn Polish soon.

bobby g

Best of luck Bosshoss...But I'm sure you won't need it :) as your English seems fine.:)

bosshoss

you are completly right !! Sian too she get so ungry when she have to deal with somebody that can't speak english at her job and teh surprising is that they work and live in the uk for years they just comunicate with there language between them and expect english people to understand them, its not right is it !!! :mad:
but i wonder why they are puting this new rule now it should be there since the begining of the times haha, you can't let somebody in when he can't even say a word in english, its enought that they can abuse you and swear at you with there foreign language and you will never know :D !!
ill do my best for the test thx i want to have an academic level maybe ill do some university there if i find the chance ;)

Hbrown1

Banned
We will all be waiting to hear how you do, but your english is very good hun.

You will pass the test no problem xx xx

Soltef

Good luck with your test,Bosshoss!Let us know how you got on.

Kitten

does it apply for eea family members also? i mean, my hubby has an appointment 8july for eea permit.will they require smthin from him to prove his english skills already now in july?

L

Lissy

does it apply for eea family members also? i mean, my hubby has an appointment 8july for eea permit.will they require smthin from him to prove his english skills already now in july?
I am pretty sure they don't because spouses of eea family members have to be treated the same way as the eea member and they are not allowed to have a language test.

skele

I am pretty sure they don't because spouses of eea family members have to be treated the same way as the eea member and they are not allowed to have a language test.
Hi Lissy, miss bitter here again! :p

Treated the same? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry can't help myself. x.

aljaye

I thought that the border agency was setting its own test not using one in existence ( as they have stipulated that there will be no test of reading and writing skills which IELTS contains) and that the paper would be part of the visa application?
Thanks for the link tho Hoss, seems that yet again its all about money in Tunisia!

bosshoss

I thought that the border agency was setting its own test not using one in existence ( as they have stipulated that there will be no test of reading and writing skills which IELTS contains) and that the paper would be part of the visa application?
Thanks for the link tho Hoss, seems that yet again its all about money in Tunisia!
hi, ur thoughts are right thew if you read the rules you find that they said its a basic english test the IELTS GENERAL TRAINING TEST is quite simple too and its shows ur abilities on a scale of levels from non user to expert user and there is an acadimic test too ist up to the candidate to chose, anyway the point is that the ukba says that the rule is gone be used in autumn 2010 but as you know there is some people who got a NO !! cause they didn't show sufficient evidence of ther english level, deeply thinking i can't see the British embassy in tunisia bothring and puting on a whole crew to take care of the new testing system, they will just transfer the duty to the british council wish is the only holder of the rights to introduce the IELTS exam in tunisia, so i thought its better to take the exam before they will put the price higher who know !! or a surbooking on the dates, i can't say that this test that i m taking is the one that the ukba talk abt, but this test is well recognised by any english speaking country and its on the norms of cambridge university ESOL, this test will be a great help if you put it on the visa application or on ur cv when you are trying to get a job in england so why not go thew it.
cheers hope i clarified the issue ;)

tunisianguy

Im just goin to have the level test at the British council as when i found out about this test it was to late to register for saturday the 26 of june and the next test will be in 17 of july and that date it will be so so late for appealing my visa and im pretty sure they just refused everyone with any small mistake they does in the application if i knew about this before applying my visa i could have the ITELS and show them my skills anyway i hope i have good test and good result to make my wife proud of me :)
Good luck to everyone xxx

aljaye

Thanks Hoss.:)
As a word of caution to all Tunisians reading this, dont think that having passed this test will mean you will get the Visa whatever, all the other requirements have to be met anyway, so being a fluent English speaker doesnt mean you can get a visa to be with someone you have met twice and known five months. Im not rushing into the Visa process as it was never on our list anyway, yes we want to be together but I know how difficult it will be for him to adjust to life over here, it is NOTHING like life in Tunisia at all and no one should think that it is. Better to take time have everything in place and show that your marriage/relationship is going to last and that you have tried it the hard way. There are several people on here who have done that and have had good results.
If i was an immigration officer I would think carefully about anyone who applied for a visa the week after they got married, however good the supporting evidence,unless they had known each other a long time beforehand. So its just something to bear in mind for those thinking of applying. Maybe thats just me, but a bit of common sense can go a long way in this kind of thing I reckon.

bosshoss

Thanks Hoss.:)
As a word of caution to all Tunisians reading this, dont think that having passed this test will mean you will get the Visa whatever, all the other requirements have to be met anyway, so being a fluent English speaker doesnt mean you can get a visa to be with someone you have met twice and known five months. Im not rushing into the Visa process as it was never on our list anyway, yes we want to be together but I know how difficult it will be for him to adjust to life over here, it is NOTHING like life in Tunisia at all and no one should think that it is. Better to take time have everything in place and show that your marriage/relationship is going to last and that you have tried it the hard way. There are several people on here who have done that and have had good results.
If i was an immigration officer I would think carefully about anyone who applied for a visa the week after they got married, however good the supporting evidence,unless they had known each other a long time beforehand. So its just something to bear in mind for those thinking of applying. Maybe thats just me, but a bit of common sense can go a long way in this kind of thing I reckon.
i think its personal to judge how long or how short a relation ship should be to decide to marry somebody, many people go into a short relation ship get married get the visa and have a baby within a year and they live happy now, but other people needs to wait and see how things are going on to decide for them selves cause i think marriage is something that need a deep thinking and alot of responsabilty from both sides, anyway getting a good level of english dont garanti the visa it just helps and as we all know nothing that you can put in ur folder can garanti you that you gone have a big Yess !!.
Good luck wit ur relation i m sure that you will take the right decision in the end.
cheers

L

Lissy

Hi Lissy, miss bitter here again! :p

Treated the same? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry can't help myself. x.
Skele my dear bitter friend, the UK is probably one of the best countries to apply for your spouse to join you if you are a non British EEA/EU member because the UK always adheres to ALL EU laws unlike other member countries - remember I studied EU law and have read the cases!!!!!! The theory is there but we know that CERTAIN countries totally disregard the ECJ rulings.

Yours very truely
Miss very cynical!!! :D

skele

Yes the UK will treat everyone else fairly but not it's own citizens. They do seem to have the best record with the family permits though, everyone else pretends they don't exist.