Orient Palace Hotel, Sousse

Gordy

Hi All

My partner booked me and our daughters into the Orient Palace Hotel in Sousse and I'm a little worried as I've read a lot of bad reviews on Tripadvisor.

Now I'm not too bothered about it being a little dated and more like a European 3 star than an actual 5 star hotel but some of the reports are horrendous to say the least whilst others are full of praise.

What is it actually like as the reviews are so contradictive of each other on that site!

As long as it's clean and the food is edible, I'm fine as we can always eat out too.

Thanks

Gordy

Saule

Hi All

My partner booked me and our daughters into the Orient Palace Hotel in Sousse and I'm a little worried as I've read a lot of bad reviews on Tripadvisor.

Now I'm not too bothered about it being a little dated and more like a European 3 star than an actual 5 star hotel but some of the reports are horrendous to say the least whilst others are full of praise.

What is it actually like as the reviews are so contradictive of each other on that site!

As long as it's clean and the food is edible, I'm fine as we can always eat out too.

Thanks

Gordy

Good Morning Gordy,

I stayed in this hotel about 6months ago, I wouldn't say it is 5* more like 3*. What I really hated was that there were too many arab man staying in the hotel, and their were a nightmare! Look out for your women!As every day and all day they would not leave you alone, I got tired after my holiday! There is an underground nightclub working every night, a little bit of noise in the middle of the night but not for long as the security shooo them off!

Great location!Outside is a very nice cafe for the family. If you go on the main road turn left and few minutes away is a shopping mall for essentials. If you turn right, you would be heading to Port El Kantoui (harbour) take a taxi though and it will only cost you few dinars!Be carefull as the taxi drivers will want to fix the price for you, grab the passing taxis on the road and not the one's that are parked outside the hotel!
Food is not bad but it repeats every night and not a lot of choice. The room's are clean, towels are changed every day (leave few dinars for tips and it will go a long way!) Don't really like the beach, you will see what I mean, better stay by the pool in the hotel grounds.

Apart from that, enjoy your holiday!:)

Scottochott

Hi Gordy,

I stayed here a couple of months ago, and it is ok. I think you are realistic to expect it to be more like a 3*, it's clean and food ok, but yes repetitive after a while as Saule said. Service not great, but tips help, as everywhere. It is a good central location to get out and explore from.

Aslemma

I stayed there a couple of years ago, having been 'upgraded' when the hotel I'd actually booked had closed down. I have just dug out my report and would imagine not a lot has changed in the meantime. It was actually the location which I wasn't too keen on, as I prefer to be nearer the centre of Sousse within easy walking distance to the Medina, trains and metro.

"The rooms are a good size with plenty of cupboard and drawer space, a table and comfortable chair and a bathroom with separate toilet. A hairdryer is provided, as are the usual toiletries and shower cap. I had a problem with the shower in the first room I was given but was moved and had no further trouble. There is even a trouser press in the room, together with a fridge/mini bar (unstocked). Although the info provided in the room says you can hire a safe, my room was complete with a safety deposit box which you could lock digitally. The balcony had a wooden table and two chairs.

The food is quite good and you'll never go hungry and even the toaster at breakfast usually works. For those on H/B the cost of drinks is quite expensive, 3 dinar for a coffee and 14 dinar for a gin or vodka and tonic (local brands) or more for imported. Much to my surprise they didn't have fresh orange juice and the 'squash' was 3 dinar, though you could get freshly squeezed orange almost anywhere for between 2.5/3.5 dinars.

You do not have a dedicated table in the restaurant which means you don't have your own waiter, so unless you are having drinks with your meal there is no need to tip. Staff are pleasant but not particularly friendly though my little chamber maid was lovely.

Smoking is only allowed in the 2 bars, one of which is only open in the evenings and the other invariably has the TV on full blast with either football or pop, which appears to be more for the locals than the paying guests. There was no actual entertainment but on a few evenings there was music in one of the bars. With few guests the hotel lacked atmosphere.

The whole hotel is in dire need of refurbishment but is kept clean, as are the grounds, which go right down to the beach. The toilets always smelled fresh and had adequate supplies of toilet paper, soap and paper towels as well as the usual air hand-dryer"