Papers needed for marriage contract

Hello everyone,
My name is Nesrin and i'm from Tunisia. My fiancé is american and we decided to get married in 2 months which means december :)
I want to know what are the papers that both of us need to prepare so we can get married. i learned from this forum that my fiancé needs a certificate of non impediment.. i was wondering from where he can have it ? is it possible for him to get it in the US?
Also, as he is going to come here to conclude the marriage contract and then fly back to the US ( our honey moon will be in the next few months) how long should he stay here ? i mean is there any appointments in the US embassy that we need to take into consideration? I m kind of lost lol i really dont know what to do or how to start since everything is too close
thank you in advance :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Ok !! so no answer !!
Your going to have to get your fiance to do this and or visit the US embassy and ask them what they need. Rules can and do change all the time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ly-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

So in essence..

I want to know what are the papers that both of us need to prepare so we can get married.

Ask the US embassy

i learned from this forum that my fiancé needs a certificate of non impediment.. i was wondering from where he can have it ? is it possible for him to get it in the US?

1) ask the embassy as they may be able to issue one 2) Its a notice placed in a registry office in the UK so maybe the USAhas the same equivalent which may or not be called "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry".

Also, as he is going to come here to conclude the marriage contract and then fly back to the US ( our honeymoon will be in the next few months) how long should he stay here ?

Ask the registry office where you are going to be married as they will add some fun asking for certain papers. I had all my wedding planned and then changed everything because the Bizerte reg office wanted a under 2 week old certificate of no impediment.

You also need to have a health test from the doctor (or you used to).

i mean is there any appointments in the US embassy that we need to take into consideration?

Ask them they could change the rules this afternoon so be nice to them (they are nice ) better still get your fiancee to move his arse as its his country. Why are you doing everything?

You have to understand the stress is because you are doing two processes one is a visa application (annoying) and the other is a Tunisian contract in the administration to a foreigner (annoying). When i got married i did my bit and my wife did her bit.

I m kind of lost lol i really dont know what to do or how to start since everything is too close

1 Speak to embassy and get the forms and what you need (as of october 2018) and the processing times

2 Speak to registry office and find out what you need in Tunisia and how old the documents (get the man/womans name and what they said as they may change it later)

3 tell your fiance to get his papers in order and fill in everything

4 Dont book any holidays or flights until you have managed to do everything you may end up like me booking a flight as soon as I get my certificate flying in getting married and then going back again in a week and then coming back for the party etc.

I really hope your not expected to do everything? Is your fiance a muslim? you may also have the fun issue that if he was born in the USA they will need a conversion to islam certificate even if he is already one.

When i got married spouses from non muslim countries needed a certificate from the ministry of religion in Tunisia and see the mufti.

IMHO opinion your fiancee is going to need money and effort to help you get this done I would hire a translator experienced in foreign marriages like Ramzi D (or your local equivalent in Tunisia)who can court certify your papers and speak to the registry office for you.

In the UK you get the papers and hand them over....In Tunisia you negotiate with the registrar and given them what they want

Your going to have to get your fiance to do this and or visit the US embassy and ask them what they need. Rules can and do change all the time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ly-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

So in essence..

I want to know what are the papers that both of us need to prepare so we can get married.

Ask the US embassy

i learned from this forum that my fiancé needs a certificate of non impediment.. i was wondering from where he can have it ? is it possible for him to get it in the US?

1) ask the embassy as they may be able to issue one 2) Its a notice placed in a registry office in the UK so maybe the USAhas the same equivalent which may or not be called "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry".

Also, as he is going to come here to conclude the marriage contract and then fly back to the US ( our honeymoon will be in the next few months) how long should he stay here ?

Ask the registry office where you are going to be married as they will add some fun asking for certain papers. I had all my wedding planned and then changed everything because the Bizerte reg office wanted a under 2 week old certificate of no impediment.

You also need to have a health test from the doctor (or you used to).

i mean is there any appointments in the US embassy that we need to take into consideration?

Ask them they could change the rules this afternoon so be nice to them (they are nice ) better still get your fiancee to move his arse as its his country. Why are you doing everything?

You have to understand the stress is because you are doing two processes one is a visa application (annoying) and the other is a Tunisian contract in the administration to a foreigner (annoying). When i got married i did my bit and my wife did her bit.

I m kind of lost lol i really dont know what to do or how to start since everything is too close

1 Speak to embassy and get the forms and what you need (as of october 2018) and the processing times

2 Speak to registry office and find out what you need in Tunisia and how old the documents (get the man/womans name and what they said as they may change it later)

3 tell your fiance to get his papers in order and fill in everything

4 Dont book any holidays or flights until you have managed to do everything you may end up like me booking a flight as soon as I get my certificate flying in getting married and then going back again in a week and then coming back for the party etc.

I really hope your not expected to do everything? Is your fiance a muslim? you may also have the fun issue that if he was born in the USA they will need a conversion to islam certificate even if he is already one.

When i got married spouses from non muslim countries needed a certificate from the ministry of religion in Tunisia and see the mufti.

IMHO opinion your fiancee is going to need money and effort to help you get this done I would hire a translator experienced in foreign marriages like Ramzi D (or your local equivalent in Tunisia)who can court certify your papers and speak to the registry office for you.

In the UK you get the papers and hand them over....In Tunisia you negotiate with the registrar and given them what they want

Thank you so much for your response.
i will forward your message to my Fiancé.
And by the way he's not a muslim.
Also i'll take an appointment in the embassy and prepare all my questions before i go there.
I think we are not going to be able to get married in 2 months. things seems to be a bit complicated.
Again thank you. that helps :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much for your response.
i will forward your message to my Fiancé.
And by the way he's not a muslim.
Also i'll take an appointment in the embassy and prepare all my questions before i go there.
I think we are not going to be able to get married in 2 months. things seems to be a bit complicated.
Again thank you. that helps :)
Depending on his point of view maybe you can get a fiancee visa and then go and get married in the USA.

Maybe that would be easier and if you have not been there you can have a check out of things for a few months.

Last edited:
Depending on his point of view maybe you can get a fiancee visa and then go and get married in the USA.

Maybe that would be easier and if you have not been there you can have a check out of things for a few months.

I will discuss this with him. as you said i feel it's easier for us to get married in the US
I ll let you updated :)

Hello everyone,
My name is Nesrin and i'm from Tunisia. My fiancé is american and we decided to get married in 2 months which means december :)
I want to know what are the papers that both of us need to prepare so we can get married. i learned from this forum that my fiancé needs a certificate of non impediment.. i was wondering from where he can have it ? is it possible for him to get it in the US?
Also, as he is going to come here to conclude the marriage contract and then fly back to the US ( our honey moon will be in the next few months) how long should he stay here ? i mean is there any appointments in the US embassy that we need to take into consideration? I m kind of lost lol i really dont know what to do or how to start since everything is too close
He will need to get a paper from Embassy that needs to be completed by you and him. It will state you are both free to marry

My husband is Tunisian and Im American. My husband prepared everything in 1 week so it is possible on short notice. Good luck to you both!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
My husband is Tunisian and Im American. My husband prepared everything in 1 week so it is possible on short notice. Good luck to you both!
Not quite the same/easy as Tunisian men can marry anyone they like. A Tunisian woman has to marry a muslim man (unless the law changes which it may do) so if a conversion is required that needs to be done prior.

If you marry in Tunisia he will have to go the U.S. embassy website that's in Tunisia. To make an appointment to go, and take you with him, to file an eligibility to marry document $50.00 US dollars for this document. If he's been married before he will need any and all divorce decrees and they will need to be translated into Arabic. He will need a new birth certificate from USA that is under 21 days from issuing (this is debatable because some require it be under 21 days at time of marriage and some under 3 months.) This needs to be translated as well. Then you need to find a marriage man and set the date for the wedding.. after wedding Go back to marriage man and get your contract.. ask him the stamps you need to buy and where .. it will be stamps...I know one of ministry of foreign affairs.. get two original marriage contracts one for you and one for him to take back to states so he can file for immigration. His needs to be translated into English..
You realize if you marry in Tunisia you will not be able to leave directly with him... he would have to file for you to come to America if he intends to bring you... after marriage you have to stay in your country through the whole immigration process.. which could take 6 months to a year.. before marriage if you are able to get visa to come to the United States you can marry with him there and apply with immigration for a change of status. There you would need your birth certificate and any divorce decrees and they need be translated into English before you go to USA. And of course your passport..
Blessings

im azza live in tunisia
i have 2 questions
what papers do my american fiancee need to get the certificate of non impediment (need to get an appointment from the embassy but what does he needs to bring with him ) ??
can we finalize everything about the marriage in 2 weeks ??
cause hes only going to spend 2 weeks in tunisia then get back to the us

that law has changed
now a Tunisian woman can marry anyone (none Muslim )