Photos and travel experiences

Scottochott

We all know Essem does a great job putting up photos, was wondering if anyone else has any they could put up to share with other members. It's always great to see new places and ideas for the next trip.

What about stories of places you've been or people you've met, experiences of the real Tunisia, especially in off the beaten track places outside the normal tourist towns.

gabriel612

SDC11264 copy.jpg

I will post these here then. The story was read on a previous post. I was supposed to show the flower pics from my visit to Thurborbo Majus, Dougga.

SDC11265 copy.jpg

The next one is badly blurrred as I cropped it to home in on the little purple blue flowers in the top left corner for Cas to see . Sorry Cas that is the best I can do with that flower, there were so many I should have took close ups of them.

SDC11274.jpg

gabriel612

A ruins pic from Dougga.SDC11302 copy.jpg

A close up of one of the flowers

SDC11268.jpg

I have posted these pics as they were apart from downsizing them. But as I am an unemployed but practising photograper/artist I usually edit them and make them arty farty by adding texture overlays and playing with the colours etc.

Jane BM

Beautiful....:)

gabriel612

An example of what I like to do with pics. The Ribat Monastir, taken from the rocky outcrop.P1110645 copy copy.jpg

And these nesting storks were taken somwhere on route from Zaghouan back to Sousse last year. I love how hese dishes are purposely built for them to nest. I have edited them obviously.

storks 2 copy.jpg

storks copy.jpg
This was in someones back garden, but it was walled so could onlyget the shot this way. What a sight to see each day in your garden.

C

Cas

View attachment 3941

I will post these here then. The story was read on a previous post. I was supposed to show the flower pics from my visit to Thurborbo Majus, Dougga.

View attachment 3942

The next one is badly blurrred as I cropped it to home in on the little purple blue flowers in the top left corner for Cas to see . Sorry Cas that is the best I can do with that flower, there were so many I should have took close ups of them.

View attachment 3943
Thanks Gabriel, I can`t quite make out shape of leaves, think it`s mountain sorrel. Shall check out further. Great pics I have some of same places so beautiful.

KheeKhee

An example of what I like to do with pics. The Ribat Monastir, taken from the rocky outcrop.View attachment 3946

love your 'arty pics':)

And these nesting storks were taken somwhere on route from Zaghouan back to Sousse last year. I love how hese dishes are purposely built for them to nest. I have edited them obviously.

View attachment 3947

View attachment 3948
This was in someones back garden, but it was walled so could onlyget the shot this way. What a sight to see each day in your garden.

Scottochott

Gabriel, these are fabulous, you've got a great eye. Just shows what' Tunisia has to offer. Glad you enjoyed your trip, I'm back in a couple of days and you've whet my appetite to go exploring.

Come on folks, more pics please, maybe we should launch a competition for the best?

Essem

Staff member
Love your pix Gabriel. Thanks for sharing.

daffodil

Thanks for sharing your photos Gab, they really are beautiful.

lainie

absolutely stunning pics, gab!
we've been in edinburgh last 2 days but our pics are not so fancy, lol

gabriel612

absolutely stunning pics, gab!
we've been in edinburgh last 2 days but our pics are not so fancy, lol
Aww hope you both had/having a great time. I have only ever been to Aberdeenshire, that was very beautiful, I did the whiskey trail and visited Edna Baxters and stayed in a beautiful remote farmhouse. Oops off topic.

Its amazing what you can do with photoshop. Art & photography are my obsession, I have always drawn and painted from being a child and I always have a camera with me. I photograph anything.

I have a few (hundreds lol) more none touristic pics from Tunisia. I love these more than the usual sights that tourists always see. They are quite random and happened by chance whilst travelling around, but they to me depict the culture of Tunisia. When I get time I will post more of them with a little story, if no one minds, don't want to bore anyone to death.

If you are ever off the beaten track stop and ask for directions, they always (mostly) jump in the car for a lift and to show you the way. We have met some characters. We once met a darling old man, we asked him the way, the next thing his younger friend pushed him to get in the car and they were both sat in the back seat:eek: I was crying from laughing and trying to hide it, hubby couldn't drive for trying to control his laughter and he couldn't look at me as I was bent double in choking with hysterics. The younger of the two men got out and he stayed in, he was telling his life story from when the French ruled, reciting poetry and he spoke perfect French. What an interesting man who had seen a lot in his life time. He was a sweetheart, I asked if I could take his pic and he obliged, we shook hands, I thanked him, in Arabic of course. He must have been 90 maybe more, he was sooooo cute. But I have also had sticks shaken at me and someone shout at me and tell us to clear off. I have had some excellent times exploring. We have a detailed map of Tunisia and we circle all the places we have been. When we are fed up with Sousse one of us says ok lets go have an adventure and we just take off. Those times are better than any plans we make. We never end up going where we are supposed to be.

All the lovely comments have set my juices flowing now...... Now you all know why my name is Gab:D

Will pm you soon lainie, I need some info if you have the time. Love to you both, take care of each other. xxxxxxx

gabriel612

Whoooooopeeeee, I have just become a well known member:D

Scottochott

Aww hope you both had/having a great time. I have only ever been to Aberdeenshire, that was very beautiful, I did the whiskey trail and visited Edna Baxters and stayed in a beautiful remote farmhouse. Oops off topic.

Its amazing what you can do with photoshop. Art & photography are my obsession, I have always drawn and painted from being a child and I always have a camera with me. I photograph anything.

I have a few (hundreds lol) more none touristic pics from Tunisia. I love these more than the usual sights that tourists always see. They are quite random and happened by chance whilst travelling around, but they to me depict the culture of Tunisia. When I get time I will post more of them with a little story, if no one minds, don't want to bore anyone to death.

If you are ever off the beaten track stop and ask for directions, they always (mostly) jump in the car for a lift and to show you the way. We have met some characters. We once met a darling old man, we asked him the way, the next thing his younger friend pushed him to get in the car and they were both sat in the back seat:eek: I was crying from laughing and trying to hide it, hubby couldn't drive for trying to control his laughter and he couldn't look at me as I was bent double in choking with hysterics. The younger of the two men got out and he stayed in, he was telling his life story from when the French ruled, reciting poetry and he spoke perfect French. What an interesting man who had seen a lot in his life time. He was a sweetheart, I asked if I could take his pic and he obliged, we shook hands, I thanked him, in Arabic of course. He must have been 90 maybe more, he was sooooo cute. But I have also had sticks shaken at me and someone shout at me and tell us to clear off. I have had some excellent times exploring. We have a detailed map of Tunisia and we circle all the places we have been. When we are fed up with Sousse one of us says ok lets go have an adventure and we just take off. Those times are better than any plans we make. We never end up going where we are supposed to be.

All the lovely comments have set my juices flowing now...... Now you all know why my name is Gab:D

Gab, there is no chance of you boring us, more photos and stories would be great. Those random unplanned meetings with locals are nearly always fun and definitely the most memorable. Keep the juices flowing!

Essem

Staff member

Me too Gab - camera always at the ready - drive Scottochot mad sometimes with it! And just about to do an online photography course too as it's something that really interests me.

Not boring at all - I mostly post our pix on the tunisia.com facebook pages so feel free to post there too - hopefully once our system is changed when we post on one site it'll automatically be transferred to the other.

Will pm you soon lainie, I need some info if you have the time. Love to you both, take care of each other. xxxxxxx
We need more of Tunisia and things Tunisian on here as opposed to always visas, ILR's etc so look forward to seeing more of your pix.

ROULLA

What about stories of places you've been or people you've met, experiences of the real Tunisia, especially in off the beaten track places outside the normal tourist towns.
Hi Scottochott hope that you are well! Not too sure if this is the right thread but I do have a story for you. Whilst in Tunisia a friend or should I say an acquaintance of my husband came to the coffee shop where we was having a coffee anyway he sat down and had a coffee with us and when it was time for us to go he asked my husband where we was going and my husband said that we was going home, his reply to this was can I come as I have 2 hours to waste before going to Tunis airport as this is where he works, my husband said of course you can come. We went home and he walked straight in the house putting my husbands slippers on straight away, I put the kettle on and made him a cuppa and gave him a slice of cake and that was gone in a jiffy :p then after 5 minutes he went to his bag and took a shaver out and said where is the soap so that I can shave so we gave him a towel and some soap, he came out of the toilet and must of done a number 2 as the place stunk by this time my son was nearly in tears and I just kept laughing as this was very comical. Anyway he then asked for some after shave, cream , after shave and cotton buds which he placed in his pockets maybe to recycle them:DHe then asked me do I have a spare coat as it was cold and his new women who works in a court is poor:( anyway I looked in the suitcase where I knew that I had some new jackets that I never wore and gave him 2, guess what he asked me.....He then said don't you have a bag to match:( I then told him with my arms waving about the air "What do you want my knickers":mad: he then said I am only asking you because YOU ARE MY SISTER:rolleyes: you don't even want to know what I replied back ;) but it was not very nice:oops: I would help anyone out as this is the type of person that I am but I am not too keen on mosquito's:D

Scottochott

Don't you just love 'em, they never fail to surprise us our Tunisian friends!

In my experience Tunisians fall into two categories, those who see a European and think kerchink, kerchink, we are all so loaded that we can spare anything (never enough), and those (unfortunately a minority) who willingly share friendship, hospitality, and culture even though they have comparatively little. Thinking about it this is pretty much the same the world over!

Great story, more please.

ROULLA

In my experience Tunisians fall into two categories, those who see a European and think kerchink, kerchink, we are all so loaded that we can spare anything (never enough), and those (unfortunately a minority) who willingly share friendship, hospitality, and culture even though they have comparatively little. Thinking about it this is pretty much the same the world over!

Oh I must admit I have been going to Tunisia now for years and some things have started to rub on me;) so I got him back, when we went to the airport with all our luggage weighing over 100 kg I told him to sort it out as he works there and that it would be worth his while, his eyes lit up and he had a great big traintrack smile on his face, he sorted everything out within 10 minutes and we did not have to pay a penny... He was pleased with himself but so was I when he said what do I get,,,,,Took him to the coffee shop bought him a sandwich and drink and he was still smiling thinking that he was getting more, I then said YOU REMEMBER THE COAT AND JACKET THAT I GAVE YOU , he replied " Yes" Well that was for doing this for me:p You should have seen his face it was a picture;) Well if you can't beat them join them:D

Jane BM

In my experiences of going to Tunisia in the last 3 years or so since i met my husband i have found that away from the beaten track the locals expectations of you (as a foreigner) are very very different...or rather, once they know who you are, and that you arent a 'tourist' but in fact a relative they just treat you exactly the same as they would a neighbour....my husband comes from Menzel Bourguiba, which has very little going for it as far as sights to see...fortunately not far from Bizerte though!!..it is more an industrial town that just happens to be coastal...although you would never use the beaches there..BUT BUT, sometimes it overwhelms me when i see people who have so so little WILLINGLY parting with their last dinar to help someone else out...I remember our wedding last year and literally half the town contributed in some way to the festivities....they didnt really know me from Adam...but they did my husband and his family. If ever someone in the town is 'down on their luck', the town just rallies round to help...for example my husbands young cousin was born blind...she is a beautiful young teenager now with a very loving family..and the town all put together to buy her a new laptop that blind people can use so that she could keep up with her friends and not be left behind....:)