Police in Tunisia

Catty8

Hello. I wonder if somebody can help me. Is it possible to report to the tunisian policie the case of a tunisian man that lies in order to obtein money from women? Does the Police take notice of these situations? What a woman can do? Does she has to write a form and put her name and the name of the crook? Anything will help. Thank you.

Marie1959

I hope someone can advice you on this hun so many get duped but dont report it just hope its because they choose not to not because the police do nothing. Good luck

MellieC

Hi Catty8,

In "theory" you can report this man to the police, I can tell you that i know FACT in Hammamet, if the police station is still there lol they DID have a huge folder of "mug shots" of tunes who had in some way obtained money by deception from foreigners.

Fred and I met a woman, she had been pretty silly to be honest, but this guy's pic WAS in the book, and the woman had got an advocate involved too, and although it seems it was going to be a long process, she was making headway.

So YES, you can report it, you will need to be able to prove it with documents, and an advocate would be a good idea.

i don't have any more info on the process, but an advocate can advise you.

good luck

Catty8

Is it possible to see police files with these tunisians crooks names? To see if the man on question is in it? Thanks

MellieC

you can look at the mug shots, if you can pick him out, they will probably tell you a bit about him, there isn't much in the way of data protection in tunisia!

I have no idea what area of tunisia the events you refer to occured, or even if the police there have a similar or same system as the one i KNOW did exist in hammamet.

you would have to ask there.

good luck with it

MellieC

Catty8,

without going into detail, much will depend on the circumstances, which you do not have to state here.

this guy may have lied, but you or whoever handed over money, on one hand yes there was a deception, his, but did you or the person not check out what he said?

was there a reason to trust this guy?

I am not saying "its your own fault" I AM saying, people DO have to think about their actions too?

and unless its documented, for a specific purpose, he can say it was a gift and that you are just a trouble maker?

talk to an advocate in tunisia, see what they advise.

olliebaby

Trust me im no way sticking up for these guys but if these ladies werent forced to hand the money over, or it wasnt taken without their knowledge then at the end of the day, it was their choice to hand the money over and their responsibility to investigate first where their money is going. Yes he lied and its horrible and annoying but lying about yourself is not against the law here so unless it is there, and they can prove it other than their word against his, then im guessing they wouldnt have much luck :( If this was a business / investment situation and there are signed documents involved then a different story, if its a case of im poor and need to go to hospital bla bla, like Mel said would be a hard case to prove or get help with.

FoxyRoxie89

Hubby made me and fam go to police about a man in medina (Hammamet) he had to sign a thing saying he will not cause trouble for tourists etc and police told him he had to give us all a gift from his shops, soufian told them we do NOT want the gifts, and that was that. but if he was pulled up for the same thing again it would already be on record and he would be in big trouble! he only got let off lightly because all we wanted to do was scare him. also somebody sent his children to the police station to make us feel sorry for him.

ROULLA

Hi Catty8,

In "theory" you can report this man to the police, I can tell you that i know FACT in Hammamet, if the police station is still there lol they DID have a huge folder of "mug shots" of tunes who had in some way obtained money by deception from foreigners.

Fred and I met a woman, she had been pretty silly to be honest, but this guy's pic WAS in the book, and the woman had got an advocate involved too, and although it seems it was going to be a long process, she was making headway.

So YES, you can report it, you will need to be able to prove it with documents, and an advocate would be a good idea.

i don't have any more info on the process, but an advocate can advise you.

good luck
I had to go to Hammamet police station a few years ago and i can also tell you that the top man there is very tough guy and he deals with things very quickly, this was the day when i wrote about the Algerians in Carthage land sparking up their own home made fireworks abit like Buni buni which i do not like, anyway do you believe that these guys had run away but within half an hour they had caught them and i saw with my own two eyes how this top guy had spoken to them..Put it like this i would not have liked to have been in the Algerians shoes. Also the police had rang me up everyday for a whole week to see if i was alright and when i had asked them what happened to the Algerians they said that they placed them in Jail and then sent them home back to Algeria but they really did cause a massive fight with Algerians v Tunisians it was awful to be honest with you and my son could not sleep for weeks as he was so scared as to what he had seen ..
If you have a complaint then Hammamet police station is the place to go because from what i have seen they really do or did help at the time..

Catty8

Thank you for your help. I have some documents that can prove that the crook received money but I am not sure if that will be enough (of course they can say it wa a gift). But knowing what they do to get money not many can believe them. In the UK police take seriously an oral statement as you cannot lie but I am not sure if that is the same in Tunisia. Anyway, yes the person who gave money to these tunisians can be stupid but it is important to remember that not all tunisians are the same and there's always the benefit of doubt and i still believe in good human nature. Thank you

MellieC

well it seems that if the problem is in hammamet there is a good chance huh?

about every 3 or 4 months a new chief arrives in hammamet, and i suspect this is the same elsewhere, so as each "new" chief arrives they want to make THEIR mark, show that THEY are the boss, that whatever has been allowed to go on isn't going on now!
which is generally good for tourists and foreigners who do have problems.

Essem

Staff member
Hello. I wonder if somebody can help me. Is it possible to report to the tunisian policie the case of a tunisian man that lies in order to obtein money from women? Does the Police take notice of these situations? What a woman can do? Does she has to write a form and put her name and the name of the crook? Anything will help. Thank you.

It;'s probably worth speaking to someone in the poilice station to see if they have a system but if the money was given ' in good faith; and then later it was discovered that he was really a bezness boy and working tourists, not sure that there's anything that can be done about it.

From what I've heard, the police just seem to wash their hands of it or anything similar esp if there's an age difference - 'you should have known' / 'what did you expect' 'you gave the money/things willingly' and 'you chose him, it's your fault' - Ouch!

It might, however, be worth writing to your Embassy and naming him especially if he has a history and you have evidence of him having done it to others (and any other Embassies involved) - they might just have a black list. He might be working many and appear to be affluent in the hope of getting a visa one day!

We don't name and shame on here but you can print yours or your friend's story and we'll edit the bits we have to. And, of course, we'll help and support also.

Catty8

Thank you. I think you have helped me a lot. Not age difference!