port el kantoui first timer

W

wuntunhun

Hi were due to go to port el kantoui at the beginning of may and would appreciate a little advice. I have never been to Tunisia before and wondered how much money to take. We are half board at our hotel but do like to do the trips and eat out at other places, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if there is anything bad to look out for, and also what sort of temperatures to expect.

Essem

Staff member
Hi wuntunhun and welcome to the forum.

Which hotel are you booked into?

When you have a minute, have a look through our travel section where you'll find lots of detailed information on the towns and resorts, trips, things to do, must see attractions and restaurants.

Also we have more than 320 albums on Tunisia.com Facebook featuring hotels, restaurants, and things to do in PEK and surrounding areas.

PEK is ideal for a first holiday in Tunisia IMO - beautiful marina with everything nearby.

Jane BM

And eating out is a must.....very reasonably priced. Weather should be lovely that time of year, before it reaches the searing hot temperatures in the summer.

Where will you be staying?

Trulymadlydeeply

Love the name, welcome to the forum... :)

W

wuntunhun

We are staying at the hotel golf residence, so excited. I don't want to be disrespectful of the culture when im out there are there any rules i should be aware of i.e covering up when i go out(im not planning to streak through the resort when im there)

Scottochott

We are staying at the hotel golf residence, so excited. I don't want to be disrespectful of the culture when im out there are there any rules i should be aware of i.e covering up when i go out(im not planning to streak through the resort when im there)
Don't worry too much, Tunisia is generally one of the most tolerant Muslim countries, and as a tourist you will granted some leeway! You will see Tunisian women in the full niqab and burka, but also many dress in a western style. In the hotel and beach feel free to wear bikinis etc (although topless is viewed as a step too far), though when out and about in town if you dress more modestly you will generally get more respect and less hassle. No doubt the ladies on the forum will give you their own personal experience and views!

caveatemptor

If you turn right when you come out of your hotel and the first turning on the left you will see the El Kouchia bakery where they do some of the best cream cakes in Sousse, plus nice savoury snacks.
If you turn left out of your hotel then left at the roundabout a 10 minute walk will take you to the Golf Club where all are welcome to the Clubhouse overlooking the golf course, good for coffee, a beer, or lunch. Carry on another 5 minutes and you will find a newish restaurant, The Capri, not the cheapest place but good food and service. Another 15 minute walk in the same direction is the Hawaii Centre, good for hassle-free souvenir hunting and next door to an aviation themed cafe, New Fly with decommissioned airplanes and aircraft type seating inside.

annibee

If you turn right when you come out of your hotel and the first turning on the left you will see the El Kouchia bakery where they do some of the best cream cakes in Sousse, plus nice savoury snacks.
If you turn left out of your hotel then left at the roundabout a 10 minute walk will take you to the Golf Club where all are welcome to the Clubhouse overlooking the golf course, good for coffee, a beer, or lunch. Carry on another 5 minutes and you will find a newish restaurant, The Capri, not the cheapest place but good food and service. Another 15 minute walk in the same direction is the Hawaii Centre, good for hassle-free souvenir hunting and next door to an aviation themed cafe, New Fly with decommissioned airplanes and aircraft type seating inside.
oh dont mention that bakery lol my mouth watering already and 3 weeks to wait yet lol :D