Religion

RachaelLahmar

Hi Guys, I was just wondering if any men/women after marrying a Tunisian have converted to Islam. I would love to but i dont know where to start as i dont want to disrespect "allah".

I have been told that if i convert to Islam then i will be in the front of the que in paradise before a person who was born into the Islamic religion. :rolleyes:

Could someone advise me on how i would get started on converting as i have tried to read The Qu'ran but am unable to make sence of a lot of it.

Thanks

pej

Well if you have thoughts on converting, do talk to religious people around you. There is also a lot of information to be found online, if you want to know more about Islam. You might want to try these links: http://islam.tc/ask-imam/index.php , http://www.islam-guide.com/ , http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln=eng , http://oum_abdulaziz.tripod.com/islam.htm . Kris who runs this site has also converted, or reverted, to Islam. When it comes to men marrying Muslim women by the way, they have to be Muslim according to Islamic law so converting is necessary.

RachaelLahmar

Thanks! Thats really cool. I will have a look tomorrow as i am leaving work now.

Cheers

Rachael

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rachel,

You should have a islamic centre near you and try and find one with new muslims to hear their experiences.

Remember take things at you own speed Islam is a beautiful religion and you can learn at your own pace.

SageMother

It should be no problem to find a mosque nearby. If there is a college or university in your city they could probably point you toward a community group.

pej

When I read my post again I see that what I just meant to be a general comment about how a man wishing to marry a Muslim woman must also be Muslim might look as if I meant that this was why Kris converted. Of course I do not mean any such thing and will not speak for others. Those two sentences were not connected!

RachaelLahmar

Thanks alot guys! There are alot of mosques where i live in England and there is Tunisian Community. Where i live is called "Arab Central" as there are so many Arabis people where i live. There are also many mens cafes, shisha bars. All men sitting on the streets for hours drinking tea and coffee. Also all the writing for signs and stuff is also in Arabic so i dont miss Tunisia so much as its like i am there.

abouhedi

Muslims do not usually reflect Islam

Salam Rachel,

I am very pleased to see that you are making such a decision and welcome as a sister in our religion. I just wanted you to be carfeful not take islam from muslims because unfortunately they do not usually reflect islam, you mentioned men sitting in the cofe for hours and hours, these are really bad examples of muslims, a muslim should know how to use wisely his time, and spenidng hours smoking shisha every day is not a good thing (many of teh family prbms is Tunisia is because of the time men are spending far from their families). Many european and american converts are thanking Allah that they knew Islam before knowing muslims, because the laters are not usually educated to genuine islam but to tradition, which creates a lot of confusion.

You should find answers to all your questions on the internet, islam-online.net is a good source of information. I recommend as well http://islamyesterday.com and particularly its science page, which could convince any one in the world that Islam is the genuine religion, it contains the stories of scientists who converted to Islam.

All the best

RachaelLahmar

Thanks alot. I wasnt saying about the men drinking coffe etc in relation to muslim. I was just saying about where i live. Thanks i will have a look at the website.

SageMother

Thanks alot. I wasnt saying about the men drinking coffe etc in relation to muslim. I was just saying about where i live. Thanks i will have a look at the website.
Now this is interesting. Shisha bars are not illegal where you live? I thought they were illegal everywhere but places in the Middle East and Africa.

RachaelLahmar

Nope! They are legal. You can buy a shisha pipe and smoke it outside as the smoking ban come in on the 1st July. But i have seen a few sneeky Arab's smoking it inside the cafe, in Edgeware road where i live!

georgisoff1

relegion of Allah (SAW)

Assalamu Alaykum .
I read your messege about convert to Islam.
I will intro myself here first, I was 52 years christian and convert to Islam 2 years ago Al Hamdulillah.
I married to tunisian men from Kairouan but i convert before our marriage my convert has nothing to do with my marriage as a marriage alone can not be a reason or ground to convertion Allah alone can say when and where He will open the heart of someone to enter Islam Subhana Allah. I know that a male has to convert if he get married to Muslim women this is the Law of Islam.

I like you to take care on reading some website on Islam there is good and there is bad on the internet, and i am part of a website called
www.cislamonline.com
i belong to the revert section this is my work on that website but please check out the site. If you like it would you give me your revert story if you dont mind and i will add it to my section. you can find my revert story on there under.....revert community....revert stories......My Journy my journy
Khadijah

SageMother

I have heard that Muslim women have no right to self determination, just as they do in other orthodox forms of the worship of the God of Abraham, like fundamentalist Jews and Christians.

Are there variations of Islam that allow women self determination?

pej

How do you mean self determination? A woman in Islam has many rights that were denid to other women for a long time. In Islam a woman has full right of ownership of whatever goods, land or money she had before she married or what she has acquired after, no man may touch that. In Tunisia the law also ensures equailty in pay, and women have the right to work and so on. Also there are women in Islam that have studied their religion just as well as men have, and help other women out with religious questions.

SageMother

How do you mean self determination? A woman in Islam has many rights that were denid to other women for a long time. In Islam a woman has full right of ownership of whatever goods, land or money she had before she married or what she has acquired after, no man may touch that. In Tunisia the law also ensures equailty in pay, and women have the right to work and so on. Also there are women in Islam that have studied their religion just as well as men have, and help other women out with religious questions.
I see. Many of the writings in the bible indicate a woman is to be the subservient in a marital relationship, which in effect removes her rights of self determination because, regardless of what civil law allows, the religion dictates that she obey her husband.

I was curious about this as it relates to those rights that women can exercise without suffering at the hands of her religion, just as I am curious about Christians and Jews who are worshipping the same god, are female, and adult.

pej

I see what you mean. Well, this is not a question that has a simple yes and no answer - and even if a religion prescribes that a man is head of a family, that does of course not mean that he should not take advice from his wife. May I suggest you use some of the links previously suggested and ask advice on those sites? That will give you replies from several practising Muslims in different countries and belonging to different schools of islam.

SageMother

I see what you mean. Well, this is not a question that has a simple yes and no answer - and even if a religion prescribes that a man is head of a family, that does of course not mean that he should not take advice from his wife. May I suggest you use some of the links previously suggested and ask advice on those sites? That will give you replies from several practising Muslims in different countries and belonging to different schools of islam.
I think the links would be very helpful for anyone who is interested.

I am interested because I believe that nature intends something very different from what religions dicate to their followers, so I would like to read things from those who see no conflict.