schengen visa

janette b

Hi all, sorry not been on for a few weeks, we went to london to the TLS offices a couple of weeks ago to submit makrems schengen visa app. we handed it in on the friday paid £8 for passport etc to be returned by secure post, and it was delivered back wed - took 4 days in total and it was a yes. So pleased to say we are off to paris in 2 weeks for a short break for his birthday......

MellieC

did you pay for the visa or was it issued free ~ it "should" have been issued free.

sensible to use secure post!

have a great time in paris, 50 miles east of me, and a couple of miles north of Skele lol

Essem

Staff member
Have a wonderful time in Paris Janette.

janette b

Thanks, Hi Mel, it was free but they charge an admin fee think it was £23 as you deal with TLS for france not the embassy.. but hey ho worth it, paris in 2 weeks spain in october for my birthday and sousse november for Eid......
Makrems 2 years are up in Feb so we will probably apply in december or should we wait until january as i am sure i have read dont apply too early.... when is too early ?
when are you coming back to UK ?

MellieC

hi JB,

I think most embassies are now outsourcing the visa's, trying to recoup some of hte lost income from them!!

i remember the last time Makrem was thinking about going spain, it seems like only yesterday huh?

NOV would seem a good idea maybe for ILR FEB? im thinking Xmas and new year, 3 days holiday that grinds the UK to a halt for a month because of the "backlog" yeah whatever!!
BUT, and this has always been the case, but is now very tight ~ if leave to enter ends, and ILR has not been granted, and if there is any problem and the HO want any more paperwork etc, that time is "no leave to enter, no ILR = ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT" now obviously its a "technicality", but in the grand scheme of things, and the seeking illegals to deport them, the ones who are at a confirmed address are the easiest to get?

and saying you sent the application off etc ~ will fall on deaf ears, they are not interested in WHY a person doens't have their ILR ~ only that they don't have it, and their visa has expired, so its goodnight sweetheart!!

MellieC

as for coming back to the UK ~

hopefully before the end of the month?

still so much flaffing about with the french!!

never known such retarded ways!!

Jenny

Hi all, sorry not been on for a few weeks, we went to london to the TLS offices a couple of weeks ago to submit makrems schengen visa app. we handed it in on the friday paid £8 for passport etc to be returned by secure post, and it was delivered back wed - took 4 days in total and it was a yes. So pleased to say we are off to paris in 2 weeks for a short break for his birthday......
Hope you will have a wonderful time in Paris! I've just been there once and I loved it. Something I thought of when I was there was that I really could see how influenced Tunis was from France...or since I've been to Tunis more times and before Paris I was thinking, oh Paris looks just like Tunis LOL

MellieC

Jenny, that has been my learning curve, Obviously I knew there was huge french influence in tune town, but until i "lived" it here, I never really knew just how much was "french" ~ some things that I actually took as being "tune" are actually french!!

The further tune town moves away from "french influence" the better it will be for tune town and for tunisians!!

FoxyRoxie89

the driving in tunis and paris is the same!

enjoy your hols janette x

janette b

Thanks for the info re ILR, he can submit all his stuff in Liverpool when we come back as only half hr from my family so another weekend away... liking it. Its a long time since i have been to France let alone paris - 31 years ago since Paris, ha ha before hubby was born.
I can see the french influences in Tunisia at times especially the mad driving, honking of horns which i am sure is compulsary etc. The fresh bread....... fortunately not the euro. The exchange rate is really bad at the moment.

C

Cas

Paris, lovely, the Tour Eiffel twinkling on the half hour viewed from Sacre Coeur, sooooo Romantic.

janette b

12 more sleeps......, flights with air france cheapest at 88 return sat - wed cant complain

C

Cas

Janette from where? Bmi baby etc expensive ? I haven`t checked for a while. There is a fantastic "fast food" shop on Rue Lepic just up from Moulin Rouge it`s on first lefthand corner next door to a tiny shop selling roses also oriental foods by the 100grm place with tables and a street market on Sats, if you are in the area anyway. The take away food shop is just amazing.....lots of little wine bars very much neighbourhood style for even a coffee.Metro stop is Abbess and a good stop for Montmartre.

MellieC

mental note to self:
avoid paris in 12 sleeps, J&M B wll be ripping the town up lol

have a great time hun!!!

janette b

mental note to self:
avoid paris in 12 sleeps, J&M B wll be ripping the town up lol

have a great time hun!!!
Ha ha love it...we will certainly be trying, dont think it will be too hard...read some bad comments about the hotel but thats life so as we will just be sleeping there and showering etc not letting it worry me, we have so much to see. Any more tips anyone for sigthseeing or food places.

lainie

go on the bateau-mouche down the seine.

its worth the money as you get to see loads of landmarks without plodding about in the dog poo - paris is littered!

the town of beauvais is very cute too.

janette b

Janette from where? Bmi baby etc expensive ? I haven`t checked for a while. There is a fantastic "fast food" shop on Rue Lepic just up from Moulin Rouge it`s on first lefthand corner next door to a tiny shop selling roses also oriental foods by the 100grm place with tables and a street market on Sats, if you are in the area anyway. The take away food shop is just amazing.....lots of little wine bars very much neighbourhood style for even a coffee.Metro stop is Abbess and a good stop for Montmartre.
we fly from birmingham each way was £44 includes luggage and taxes best we could get from anywhere, i tried bmi but expensive. Air France.

C

Cas

I like the Carnavalet Museum and Place des Vosges in the Marais then walk up to Louvre. Lots of bagel/ falafel places around. Like Tati at bottom of Sacre Coeur. Love Galleries Lafayette. amazing ceilings and staircases, food hall.

skele

Paris is quite small really, you can walk to all the major landmarks if you want to and it's a good way to explore. If not get one of the sightseeing bus tours, you get a ticket for two days and you can hop on and off, the same as the London ones, it's really worthwhile. Also good are the river tours like Lainie said.

The Eiffel tower twinkles on the hour, lovely at night, best place to see the Eiffel tower from is the Trocadero, fantastic views, then you can walk down to the tower itself.

What area are you staying in?

The best advice about Paris, with regards to restaurants and what to see etc, is to explore it for yourself. There are the obvious places that really do need to be seen but there are millions of cafes/bars/restaurants/brasseries, every street is full of them. You will get a better meal and better prices if you wander down back streets outside of the main tourist areas. The best thing about Paris is that there is so much to explore. It's a great place to get lost in, you come accross fantastic little galleries or stores or cafes or random exhibitions, beautiful architecture. You can hire 'velibs', bicycles really cheap and get around that way too, I love cycling around Paris, there really is so much to see.

The weather has been fantastic since April and you will find lots of people sit by the river with friends and food and wine in the evenings instead of going to expensive restaurants. Paris is very expensive but you can find affordable places outside of the really touristy areas.

If you go to Notre Dame, have a good wander around the area of St Michel that it is in. The Jardins du Luxembourg are near there, beautiful gardens to wander around in, the other side of that is St Germain, another lovely area to stroll around in.
Also not far from there is the Pantheon and Rue Mouffetard, which has a great market every day.

If you let me know what you like and what sort of things you like to do I can advise you better. You will have a great time regardless I'm sure, it is such a beautiful city and of course the most romantic city in the world! Enjoy.