Seat belts soon to be compulsory

Scottochott

As from next month seat belts will be compulsory for front seat passengers, and for all passengers from next year.

About time, this is basic common sense and should reduce deaths significantly.

gem15

They also need to enforce compulsory car seats for children.

feefad

Yay, no longer will I get funny looks from his family for belting up or for insisting on a car seat when next baby comes along. Great news when driving is sooo crazy at times!

Scottochott

They also need to enforce compulsory car seats for children.
Totally, though it's a shame it needs enforcement, how often do you see kids clambering around the car and hanging out of windows/sitting on knees unbelted, etc. as with so many other things education is needed.

Has anyone noticed any public placards/TV advertising to promote this? I hope it doesn't get ignored like the no smoking signs do! Will probably end up as a win for the police as they put unofficial fines in their pocket!

gem15

I've not noticed a thing and neither has my husband. He actually said how are they going to implement it. Let's see how it turns out.

I did think its a quick way for the police to earn some extra dinar.

Jane BM

And doesn't apply to taxis either apparently, who are possibly some of the worst and reckless drivers there!

Scottochott

And doesn't apply to taxis either apparently, who are possibly some of the worst and reckless drivers there!
Doesn't apply to taxi drivers/bus drivers, not sure about the front seat passenger, but surely common sense would tell people to put their belts on as we would do back home. People need to take some responsibility for themselves, especially when you see how badly people drive there!

Essem

Staff member

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its obviously the right thing to do but you have to admit the overpacking of cars/people in the back pickups etc etc is a way for many to get about as cars are small.

Its not going to be popular because Tunisians don't like being told what to do.

cinders

most of the time the taxis dont have seat belts in the back never mind the front ....:rolleyes: