Sending/ Transferring Money to Tunisia! xx

Hi

Is it possible to change tunisiar in UK? if yes up to how much?
Thanks

Essem

Staff member
Hi Abdullah, It is not possible to change Tunisian Dinar in the UK. In fact it is illegal to take it out of Tunisia. The dinar is a closed or soft currency - the government set the rate daily -and it cannot be bought outside of Tunisia.

not true

you can buy the tunisien dinar ouside tunisia in france where the tunisian dinar is available for change in the bureau de change in to euro or from euro in to tunisian dinar but is not available in the uk

Essem

Staff member
Hi Issam, I didn't know that you could buy dinars in France - sorry - I suppose it makes sense with the France/Tunisia connection. I've never heard this before. Is it still illegal to take dinars into France from Tunisia?

Hi
Today i was in Baker street and asked in the bureau de change if they change TND, the man chacked computer and said "yes we do", then i asked up to how much they can change, he asked "how much you have?", i said 2000.00 TND, he said "no problem, we can change it", the rate was 2,656. so we can change TND in UK, Thanks to all for help

Hi, everyone

I need some information about bank transfers from the UK to Tunisia, how long does it take, the costs, etc

I would appreciate if someone tells me what is the most reliable bank for opening a currency account in Sousse?

Many thanks.

Hi - we have an account with Banque de l'Habitat in Sousse Corniche, and have had no problems, so far. Transfers from Barclays cost £20 for any amount - they say it can take up to 8 working days, but usually takes 3 or 4. There are no charges at the Tunisian end. I understand that a currency convertible account is the only type of account available to a foreigner, unless you have a 'carte de sejour'.

Dave.

sparkle

you can do a tranfer from the post office and it can be collect straight away. my mum used to send me money and i would collect from sousse that same day....

Trulymadlydeeply

How about the other way round is it possible to transfer money from Tunisia to England? Just curious for a good reason.

sparkle

yes im sure wherever you see the moneygram sign you can send money from those banks xxxx

sparkle

really that is outrageous, fine for people to send it in though. stupid rules grrr

Trulymadlydeeply

Had money left to my son by a relative was put into my ex hubbys account in Tunis he says it cannot be sent here. Also if you tried to bring it out and got stopped at customs they would confiscate it?? Sorry more questions.

ilovebdt

Does anyone know the address for the main post office in Sousse? I need my mum to send me some money. I had a look at the Western Union site, but there are just so many I don't know which one it is.

Thanks

ilovebdt

feefad

With western union can they not pick it up anywhere? i used to just put down sousse when we were paying for the wedding and my hubby would go to any western union place.

Essem

Staff member
Does anyone know the address for the main post office in Sousse? I need my mum to send me some money. I had a look at the Western Union site, but there are just so many I don't know which one it is.

Thanks

ilovebdt
Hi there, As Feefad said you don't need an address just the town and you can pick it up from any bank/post office who deals with Western Union. It's such a quick service - you can pick up your money in about an hour from it being sent.

The problem is that with Western Union there is enormous charge for the bank transfer, and in the bank for an amount of £25,000 and over is just £20 - £35, although it takes a few days.

R.Karim

Essem

Staff member
I agree WU is expensive but I suppose you are paying for the speed and convenience. When I transferred large amounts through the banking system to buy my apartment, although I was charged a fee in the UK the Tunisian bank gave me a better rate when it was converted - at that time it took 10 working days to transfer, I think now it's inside 7 days.

You guys are getting better deals now. Western Union is very high for transfers. I never use them. It sounds like you did better with the Tunisian banks for the money transfer. My forrmer employer used German banks for their money.

feefad

Guys, didnt want to go off track with any of the existing threads so thought I'd start a new one. I have just ordered my travellers cheques for collection tomoro and thought I'd share it with you all as sooooo excited!!! This time in 3 days I will be leaving for the airport!!!
haven't taken travellers cheques with me in a long time but thought best to clear out my holiday cash from the bank account so that I don't spend any bill money while I'm away :D Roll on Sunday :D