Setting up a company as a foreigner

world_explorer

Does anyone know someone who's just created an advertising agency and who would need a passionate senior graphic designer who's got experience in concept, layout & finished art and who speaks french fluently? Thanks a lot. Have a very nice day.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I know some online agencies in Tunisia you design websites/emails also?

world_explorer

HI Kris

Thanks for your answer. I'm more a 'print' designer. But I do create concepts, layouts for web but I'm more advertising, brochures, magazines, design for packaging etc. I do copywriting in french and english as well as copy checking. I'm planning to move to Tunisia. I'm looking for agencies or recruiting agencies. I will be in Tunisia 10th to 20th January 2007

Kind Regards

nichol

Hi there everyone..
I am wondering if anyone out there has any information on starting a business in tunisia ??? Me and my friend (also english) are wanting to open a cafe business. Firstly, is this possible for 2 foreigners to open a business ? How would we stand visa wise, if we are only allowed 3months on our passport? What are the tax implications , if any ? i have sent faxes to the embassy in London, but am still awaiting any kind of response, despite numerous efforts... Please, please, please can any body help, I am only in england for another 6wks and i want to get things moving.

pej

Hi, good luck! I can't give you any advice, but you can always start by checking under Business on the main page!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member

kellyc

Hi

Hi Nichol,

I dont know too much about opening a business, but a few of my friend here that have opened business are having real difficulties with it, you need to have a tunisian partnership in on the business, as well as obviously residency and work permit. I know that an english woman here in Sousse who opened a business selling english clothes has just had a call from the authority and have stopped her working until she gets a tunisian partner involved in the business. Unfortunately i do not know much more than this, maybe others can help you.

Kelly

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Call the local admin office and they will explain it is the case with many sectors information is on the fipa website.

flyingcat

Hi

In Europe it is normal for a company to be able to reclaim the sales tax (VAT/TVA) when purchasing goods and services. Does the same principle apply in Tunisia? This would mean that it would be smart to creat a company before you buy a property and/or goods.

However, making a company in Tunisia maybe a big and drawn out deal.

Would appreciate any comments on this.

Cheers,
Antony

pej

I do not know the answer to this question, but have you read all the info on our main page under "business"? Maybe you can get some help there.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its actually easy and and not that expensive.

I will put more details down tomorrowbut basically the most annoying thing is the barriers to protect TUnisian businesses.

For example some businesses (including property) are subject to tunisians having 50% share in the company (may not be the case in tourist zones) whist other businesses for example exporting are tax free ( for 10 years) ad you get a load of help.

Have look at the Fipa website and they have all the details.

SageMother

Its actually easy and and not that expensive.

I will put more details down tomorrowbut basically the most annoying thing is the barriers to protect TUnisian businesses.

For example some businesses (including property) are subject to tunisians having 50% share in the company (may not be the case in tourist zones) whist other businesses for example exporting are tax free ( for 10 years) ad you get a load of help.

Have look at the Fipa website and they have all the details.
50% ownership requirement wouldn't be too bad. I have thought about starting businesses in other countries with women being partners. Having the internet available makes it easier to do business!

Now all I need to to find some seed money!

pej

Good luck with that!

jukcoder

Is it easy to set up a company to import fashion clothes from the UK?

Thanks

issam

Banned
hi,you should get advice from a local accountant ,you should have a look at the website of the british embassy in tunisia there is useful information and you need to get advise on the import tax and you should ask about the free trading zone between tunisia and the EU which one of the rare agreement has been made with countries outside the EU

kellyc

Hi

Hi Issam,

I did hear that they are opening the border for import and export in 2008 which will make the experience so much easier.

Definately enquire about it and get all the right information, we were going to open a shop here with a company and friend based in Jordan but it was quite involved, not sure if you visit the nomarmite website but there was a big discussion about the complications and what was involved on their forum.

ROULLA

Hi Issam,

I did hear that they are opening the border for import and export in 2008 which will make the experience so much easier.

Definately enquire about it and get all the right information, we were going to open a shop here with a company and friend based in Jordan but it was quite involved, not sure if you visit the nomarmite website but there was a big discussion about the complications and what was involved on their forum.
Hi Kelly,
how are you hope that you and your family are in good health!,
Whilst in Tunisia quite a few shop owners that i know had there things taken out of there shop as they were not supposed to sell suits as well as jumpers so the police confiscated , so its most imperative to have all invoices at hand.

tater03

Can I ask why they were not suppoused to sell jumpers and suits? Just curious as to why they were not allowed? Thanks

issam

Banned
for tarter

hi the reason some shop owners get their garment confiscated because either the garment has been smuggled in to the country and it has not been paid the import duty on a proper reciept or he is selling non original garments while the other peaple paid for a licence to sell big designer brand from majer companis based in europe,it like some one went to geant which is one of the biggest chopping malls in tunisia and open a store selling fake zara clothing while the official zara store next door paid so much duty for opening their branch there, so automaticly they shut the fake zara store down,it's like what's happening with the mobile phones now,nokia foreign investors invested in opening their officiall retail points in tunisia which they pay a lot of taxs to keep things going and a tunisian going back home with a suitcase full of nokia mobile phones trying to flog them in to the market automaticly the custom in tunisia seizes them at the check point in to the country

issam

Banned
for tarter

hi, the reason some shop owners get their garment confiscated because either the garment has been smuggled in to the country and it has not been paid the import duty on a proper reciept or he is selling non original garments while the other peaple paid for a licence to sell big designer brand from majer companies based in europe,it's like some one went to geant which is one of the biggest shopping malls in tunisia and open a store selling fake zara clothing while the official zara store next door paid so much duty for opening their branch there, so automaticly they shut the fake zara store down,it's like what's happening with the mobile phones now,nokia foreign investors invested in opening their officiall retail points in tunisia which they pay a lot of taxs to keep things going and a tunisian going back home with a suitcase full of nokia mobile phones trying to flog them in to the market automaticly the custom in tunisia seizes them at the check point in to the country