Setting up a company as a foreigner

Jane BM

Hi Torsten, depending what your planned business is you may be able to avoid it, eg a business in the tourism sector is exempt. What were you thinking of doing?

As previously mentioned do your research well and get professional (accountant/solicito) advice before you invest any money.
Thats interesting...so a 'foreigner' can set up a business in Tunisia and NOT require a Tunisian partner with a 51% stake if the business is in the tourism industry? have i got that right? or am i totally missing the point?

Scottochott

That's right, there are a couple of other exceptions but I can't remember offhand. The API will provide further information for anyone interested

caveatemptor

You can open an offshore company for the purposes of importing/exporting provided you have sterling/euro/dollar or other hard currency equivalent of 150,000 dinar in a Tunisian bank

D

David Lister

My wife and I and two friends are thinking of moving to Tunisia in the near future. Our friend is a of dual nationality (British/Tunisian) married to a English lady. Would it be difficult to set up a small business which is associated with the tourist industry (wont say what it is yet). Can it be set up on a 50/50 basis, also looking for small office type premises or empty shop on street level in Port el Kantaoui or Yasmine Hammamet or any other busy turist area , any info would be appreciated,
David

Scottochott

Hi David welcome to the forum. Without knowing more details it is difficult to give advice, however it is certainly possible to set up a business, most need to be 51/49 in favour of a Tunisian but there are some exceptions for the tourist industry and foreigners may be able to own 100%. Again depending what you are thinking of various authorisations may be required, usually simple in theory but may involve a tortuous bureaucratic route! As for possible locations, it again depends what you are planning, but I would suggest an all year round resort, Hammamet for instance is a ghost town in winter. You need to spend some time here researching well, as with any business, as there are plenty of potential pitfalls. Good luck with the project and feel free to message me if you want to know more.

ROULLA

My wife and I and two friends are thinking of moving to Tunisia in the near future. Our friend is a of dual nationality (British/Tunisian) married to a English lady. Would it be difficult to set up a small business which is associated with the tourist industry (wont say what it is yet). Can it be set up on a 50/50 basis, also looking for small office type premises or empty shop on street level in Port el Kantaoui or Yasmine Hammamet or any other busy turist area , any info would be appreciated,
David
Hi David and welcome to the forum. David unfortunately nothing in Tunisia is 50/50 and the person that has the 51% has the last say. I would think long and hard about this because you also have to bare in mind that if you are Tunisian things can be slightly different than those that are not Tunisian. Sorry if I sound a little negative but I am only saying what I have seen in Tunisia. Oh and by the way you don't have to say what it is that you will be doing but if you are thinking about opening a travel agency then think long and hard that is all I have to say.. Good luck in whatever you do anyway.:)

janette

David
David, very very wise words from Roulla -- the best advice that you will get. I reiterate every word she says, so please take heed! x

caveatemptor

David, very very wise words from Roulla -- the best advice that you will get. I reiterate every word she says, so please take heed! x
On the other hand if you do your research and get good, reliable help there is still money to be made in the right business.

Scottochott

On the other hand if you do your research and get good, reliable help there is still money to be made in the right business.
Absolutely, I think it is important to spend time here yourself to research, do not depend on other's opinions. Good professional (lawyer/accountant) is also essential.