Sidi bou said cafe

feefad

This is not so much a recommendation as a one to watch. I know that sidi bou said is a favourite for a lot of people, especially the cafe overlooking the sea but we were left very disappointed with it this week. When the waiter came to take our order he told us there was no gazeuse and they only had fruit juice. Which at 7 dinar each was double the price of a can of cola. The waiter also brought some tunisian cake and a croissant which we told him we didn't want but he left the cake. 15 minutes later I noticed 5 cans of coke sitting in front to people at other tables, this is only when I noticed not when it was served. When z challenged the waiter he said that it had only been delivered and that it was only available with food. All lies as no one else was eating, not had they ordered food as left after their drinks. He also hadn't told us when we ordered that we could have it with food. Went to pay and the man with the money asked had we eaten the cake to charge for it but thankfully we hadn't as it's given with the implication that it's free and would have left a bitter taste in my mouth. What used to be a nice friendly cafe is turning more into a money making scheme where they don't care and I'm quite sad to say I won't be going back. 7dinar for juice is bad enough to swallow without knowing the waiter lied to make us pay the higher price!!!

Essem

Staff member
Unfortunately, a sign of the times here Fee. Money grabbing at every chance.

Will you be coming down my way this time? Be good to catch up. Xxx

Jane BM

This is not so much a recommendation as a one to watch. I know that sidi bou said is a favourite for a lot of people, especially the cafe overlooking the sea but we were left very disappointed with it this week. When the waiter came to take our order he told us there was no gazeuse and they only had fruit juice. Which at 7 dinar each was double the price of a can of cola. The waiter also brought some tunisian cake and a croissant which we told him we didn't want but he left the cake. 15 minutes later I noticed 5 cans of coke sitting in front to people at other tables, this is only when I noticed not when it was served. When z challenged the waiter he said that it had only been delivered and that it was only available with food. All lies as no one else was eating, not had they ordered food as left after their drinks. He also hadn't told us when we ordered that we could have it with food. Went to pay and the man with the money asked had we eaten the cake to charge for it but thankfully we hadn't as it's given with the implication that it's free and would have left a bitter taste in my mouth. What used to be a nice friendly cafe is turning more into a money making scheme where they don't care and I'm quite sad to say I won't be going back. 7dinar for juice is bad enough to swallow without knowing the waiter lied to make us pay the higher price!!!
Totally agree, think I put a post on here somewhere about this place a few months ago. We went there in October last year and yes, you can't deny the view, but the prices and the service and the overcharging are pretty steep prices to pay for it. I wouldn't be in a rush either.....

Having spoken to a few different people who've been in the last 12 months, seems to be a familiar story. Such a shame.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its a tourist trap but that view.......

feefad

Unfortunately, a sign of the times here Fee. Money grabbing at every chance.

Will you be coming down my way this time? Be good to catch up. Xxx
Essem we were down last weekend and I hadn't realised you were over. Was last minute booking for the hotel and internet was hit or miss. I only realised you were here when we were back in mornag and I seen your sky pictures as I'd been looking at the very same sky. Don't go back until 1st June so if we head down that way I'll give you a shout. We're trying to sort out some land here so not sure if we'll get the chance xx

Last edited:

ROULLA

Hi Everyone hope that you are all well!
Silly really because at the end of the day it's them that lose out because people won't go back again.
The view is breath taking and to be honest even though they do take the biscuit I love going there.
I think that I would have asked the waiter if the croissant was for the birds, I would have insisted that the waiter takes it away.

Essem

Staff member
All over the place now it's a case of take as much as you can and what you can while you can get it with no thought of tomorrow or if people will return. Don't think the majority give a sh*t TBH as there are always other tourists (hopefully).

Slightly off topic but on similar vein, last week I went to get a taxi from PEK to my home. Taxis wanted 7 dinars, told them I didn't want to buy their taxis and picked on up on the road, cost 3 dinars inc tip. Usual taxi fare between 2.500 and 3 dinars.

Friends got taxi from Tantana to Hotel Caruso and it was 4.500 dinars. Return journey just after 9pm - 17 dinars , and they paid it!!!! Couldn't believe they didn't argue the point.

feefad

I think that I would have asked the waiter if the croissant was for the birds, I would have insisted that the waiter takes it away.
Hey roulla, we got him to take the croissant away but he insisted on leaving the little cakes that we didn't touch and therefore didn't pay for. If only they were losing out but as long as your groups continue arriving they'll continue with the profit. I do love the view too and once the hubby gets over his annoyance perhaps it'll be a bottle of water to share just to annoy them :)

feefad

Essem I can't believe they didn't argue that either. Chancers get away with it. We got stopped by the national guard in the car the other day and the minute he asked z to get outside I figured he was gonna ask for money as they don't seem to like to do it in front of me. Can't imagine why. Z just stood his ground and told him he wasn't getting any and we were on our way. I told him next time to hit out with the sarcasm about how good a job they are doing keeping the corruption at bay :)