Some marriage questions :)

HollyLynn

Hi everyone! Long time, no talk :D Anyhow, on my way to tunisia in 23 days!!! (He was denied a second time for the visitor's visa. 1st time they said he wasn't mature enough, the second time they more or less told him he needed to be married and have kids :mad:) anyhow..I can NOT wait!! I miss him more than belief!! <3 I can't believe that we've been together for 1 1/2 years!!! :O Where has the time gone? He's just absolutely amazing and I'm so incredibly blessed to have him in my life.

Anyhow, E and I have been talking marriage more and more lately..I'm in the process of getting a higher paying job and moving and he's finishing up his school and working too..We've been making some short term as well as long term goals for us. We just had some questions regarding marriage. It's going to be a while yet but we want to get this information down so we aren't so confused when the time DOES come! Hopefully someone here can answer us(I'm American btw)

1. What exactly IS a CONI and is it required if you live in the US? What do I need to do with it?

2. Would it be simpler to marry in Tunisia first or in the US first? As of right now, I don't meet income requirements but was told there was a waiver :confused:

3. Would there be a problem with my passport having my last name different than what is on my birth certificate? For example, my birth certificate contains my maiden name but my passport contains my maiden name AND my previous married name. (it's hyphenated) I DO have a divorce decree and the passport DOES contain my maiden name..was wondering if that would cause problems if I had my divorce papers from my previous marriage?? I would have to get my passport changed if that was the case. My bank accounts and everything still has my hyphenated name..I know, I know..I'm such a procrastinator with getting things changed *sighhhhh*

4. What paperwork do I need? I know I need a birth certificate not older than 20 days (correct if I'm wrong please!) and in my case, my divorce decree...my passport..what else?

Obviously, laws and requirements can change over time but this will, at least, give us a generalized idea of what to expect!! Thanks so much for all your help! :D

pbf

.CONI is Certificate Of No Impediment .In Britaiin we need to apply for this at least 30 days before we intend to marry in case anyone objects.
.It's always easier to marry in Tunisia!!!!
Not sure about this. My last name on my passport is different from my birth certificate as I got married!!
CONI,birth certificate,divorce papers
Don't know if that will cause problems

Tunisianbelle

1. What exactly IS a CONI and is it required if you live in the US? What do I need to do with it?
A CONI is a Certificate of Non-Impediment. As Americans, we do not have such a paper, but it is required if you marry here in Tunisia. You will have to go to the US Embassy in Tunis to get it.

2. Would it be simpler to marry in Tunisia first or in the US first? As of right now, I don't meet income requirements but was told there was a waiver :confused:
The fees are not waived regardless of where you live, and getting married in the US or Tunisia is really personal preference. It's a long road visa wise no matter which way you do it.

3. Would there be a problem with my passport having my last name different than what is on my birth certificate? For example, my birth certificate contains my maiden name but my passport contains my maiden name AND my previous married name. (it's hyphenated) I DO have a divorce decree and the passport DOES contain my maiden name..was wondering if that would cause problems if I had my divorce papers from my previous marriage?? I would have to get my passport changed if that was the case. My bank accounts and everything still has my hyphenated name..I know, I know..I'm such a procrastinator with getting things changed *sighhhhh*
Nope. Just be sure to give all certified copies of everything so that there is no confusion.

4. What paperwork do I need? I know I need a birth certificate not older than 20 days (correct if I'm wrong please!) and in my case, my divorce decree...my passport..what else?
Your birth certificate can be 30 days old, but no older at time of marriage and it HAS to be certified.

To marry here, both you and E will be required to submit the documents listed below to the City Hall Registry Office in order to obtain an appointment for the marriage. All documents must be translated into Arabic or French by a sworn translator and ALL, except the passport, are retained in Tunisian Civil files. All documents MUST be ORIGINALS or CERTIFIED copies. All documents not in English MUST be accompanied by certified translations into English.

Required documents:

1. BIRTH CERTIFICATE - bearing the impression seal of the issuing authority. It can be no older than 30 days from when you marry (Example, you want to marry December 30, so you need to have the certification done no sooner than December 1)

2. PASSPORT

3. AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY TO MARRY (the CONI)- Tunisia requires proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification by competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage. No such document exists in the United States. Therefore, the parties to a prospective marriage abroad will have to execute an affidavit stating that they are free to marry. This is called an affidavit of eligibility to marry and must be executed at the American Embassy or consulate in the country in which the marriage will occur. The fee for the American Consular Officer’s certification of the affidavit is $30.00.

4. PRENUPTIAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE – This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis will supply a printed form for this certificate upon request. All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.

5. FEE

6. INFORMATION
* Full name
* Date and Place of Birth
* Profession
* Current address
* Full names of parents
* Verbal declaration that they are free to marry
* Name of two witnesses

As applicable, the following documents may be required:

1. DIVORCE DECREE(S) - Such decrees must be final and valid in the country of the interested party’s nationality. For example a Spaniard who has been divorced by the authority of another country, such divorce not being recognized by Spain, cannot contract marriage in Tunisia because Tunisian law requires compliance with both, Tunisian laws and the national law of the foreigner.

2. PRIOR SPOUSE'S DEATH CERTIFICATE - bearing the seal of the issuing authorities.
http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/americancitizensintunisia/marriage-in-tunisia.html

Here is the contact information for the American Embassy in Tunisia
American Embassy Tunis
Les Berges du Lac
1053 Tunis
TUNISIA

TELEPHONE: +216.71.107.000
FAX: +216.71.963.263
E-MAIL: [email protected]

traceyyou

Hi everyone! Long time, no talk :D Anyhow, on my way to tunisia in 23 days!!! (He was denied a second time for the visitor's visa. 1st time they said he wasn't mature enough, the second time they more or less told him he needed to be married and have kids :mad:) anyhow..I can NOT wait!! I miss him more than belief!! <3 I can't believe that we've been together for 1 1/2 years!!! :O Where has the time gone? He's just absolutely amazing and I'm so incredibly blessed to have him in my life.

Anyhow, E and I have been talking marriage more and more lately..I'm in the process of getting a higher paying job and moving and he's finishing up his school and working too..We've been making some short term as well as long term goals for us. We just had some questions regarding marriage. It's going to be a while yet but we want to get this information down so we aren't so confused when the time DOES come! Hopefully someone here can answer us(I'm American btw)

Obviously, laws and requirements can change over time but this will, at least, give us a generalized idea of what to expect!! Thanks so much for all your help! :D
hi holly lynn what part are you going and when? i got married in march so going back soon for my honey moon and sort out visa....

HollyLynn

A CONI is a Certificate of Non-Impediment. As Americans, we do not have such a paper, but it is required if you marry here in Tunisia. You will have to go to the US Embassy in Tunis to get it.

The fees are not waived regardless of where you live, and getting married in the US or Tunisia is really personal preference. It's a long road visa wise no matter which way you do it.

Nope. Just be sure to give all certified copies of everything so that there is no confusion.

Your birth certificate can be 30 days old, but no older at time of marriage and it HAS to be certified.

To marry here, both you and E will be required to submit the documents listed below to the City Hall Registry Office in order to obtain an appointment for the marriage. All documents must be translated into Arabic or French by a sworn translator and ALL, except the passport, are retained in Tunisian Civil files. All documents MUST be ORIGINALS or CERTIFIED copies. All documents not in English MUST be accompanied by certified translations into English.

Required documents:

1. BIRTH CERTIFICATE - bearing the impression seal of the issuing authority. It can be no older than 30 days from when you marry (Example, you want to marry December 30, so you need to have the certification done no sooner than December 1)

2. PASSPORT

3. AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY TO MARRY (the CONI)- Tunisia requires proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification by competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage. No such document exists in the United States. Therefore, the parties to a prospective marriage abroad will have to execute an affidavit stating that they are free to marry. This is called an affidavit of eligibility to marry and must be executed at the American Embassy or consulate in the country in which the marriage will occur. The fee for the American Consular Officer’s certification of the affidavit is $30.00.

4. PRENUPTIAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE – This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis will supply a printed form for this certificate upon request. All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.

5. FEE

6. INFORMATION
* Full name
* Date and Place of Birth
* Profession
* Current address
* Full names of parents
* Verbal declaration that they are free to marry
* Name of two witnesses

As applicable, the following documents may be required:

1. DIVORCE DECREE(S) - Such decrees must be final and valid in the country of the interested party’s nationality. For example a Spaniard who has been divorced by the authority of another country, such divorce not being recognized by Spain, cannot contract marriage in Tunisia because Tunisian law requires compliance with both, Tunisian laws and the national law of the foreigner.

2. PRIOR SPOUSE'S DEATH CERTIFICATE - bearing the seal of the issuing authorities.
http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/americancitizensintunisia/marriage-in-tunisia.html

Here is the contact information for the American Embassy in Tunisia
American Embassy Tunis
Les Berges du Lac
1053 Tunis
TUNISIA

TELEPHONE: +216.71.107.000
FAX: +216.71.963.263
E-MAIL: [email protected]
Thanks so much, Jamie!!! That really helps :) I read that instead of a CONI that I can go to a court or other legal authority and swear, notorize and sign something stating I'm free to marry IN PLACE of the CONI since we technically don't have that here :confused: The income requirements I was referring to was you have to make so much yearly to be approved for a fiance visa..it's like $16,000/year but $3,000/year for every kid you have..Someone told me there is a waiver I can sign stating that we won't get government assistance, etc..Everything else seems to be in order LOL!

Edit: Okay so I just REREAD and seen the affidavit for eligibility to marry *eyeroll* I seriously don't know where my brain is! :D Okay so with that, I pay a $30 USD fee for that..Do you still have to wait the 21 days or whatever?? I know with a CONI you do..

HollyLynn

hi holly lynn what part are you going and when? i got married in march so going back soon for my honey moon and sort out visa....
Hi! I'll be in Sousse from June 28-July 11th :) congrats on the wedding! How exciting!!

Tunisianbelle

The income requirements I was referring to was you have to make so much yearly to be approved for a fiance visa..it's like $16,000/year but $3,000/year for every kid you have..Someone told me there is a waiver I can sign stating that we won't get government assistance, etc..Everything else seems to be in order LOL!
Holly, if people could just sign a waver saying they wouldn't get government assistance, then the income requirement wouldn't even be an issue. Sadly, you have been misinformed. If you cannot meet the income requirement yourself, you will need a co-sponsor. This person can be a family member, a friend, or Joe blow off the street. It doesn't matter who they are as long as their income and your combined will show that you can legally meet the minimum financial requirement. They will have to fill in the 1-864 form and supply their IRS tax returns. If they file a joint tax return, their spouse will have to sign the I-864a. Your co-sponsor will be under the same legal responsibilities you are for E until he gets citizenship.

You also have to know that since he will be married to a US citizen, E can apply for citizenship after 3 years in the country instead of 5 like those who are not married to US citizens.
Edit: Okay so I just REREAD and seen the affidavit for eligibility to marry *eyeroll* I seriously don't know where my brain is! :D Okay so with that, I pay a $30 USD fee for that..Do you still have to wait the 21 days or whatever?? I know with a CONI you do..
Holly, we are NOT British, so their rules do not apply to us. You have to remember that and follow just what our rules are or else you are going to drive yourself crazy with extra stress that you don't need. The list above is full and complete.

When you marry here in Tunisia, we do need the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (we'll call it a CONI since it is easier and is the exact same thing except we can only get ours from the US Embassy here in Tunisia since American law does not require such a paper) but there is no waiting period. Once you have all your paperwork in order, you go to the local municipality where you want to get married, tell them you want to marry, give them your paperwork, and they will set the appointment. If a time is available, you could get married the very next day.

Don't forget that you have to make an appointment to be seen at the US Embassy. You can only do this from online http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/appointments.html I would suggest you make the appointment at least one week before you want to be seen in order to ensure you get an appointment in the correct time frame.

traceyyou

Hi! I'll be in Sousse from June 28-July 11th :) congrats on the wedding! How exciting!!
i'll be in sousse from 25 june to 2 july where are you staying?

HollyLynn

i'll be in sousse from 25 june to 2 july where are you staying?
We are looking at an apartment in El Kantaoui right now! We will be there the same time! :D

HollyLynn

Holly, if people could just sign a waver saying they wouldn't get government assistance, then the income requirement wouldn't even be an issue. Sadly, you have been misinformed. If you cannot meet the income requirement yourself, you will need a co-sponsor. This person can be a family member, a friend, or Joe blow off the street. It doesn't matter who they are as long as their income and your combined will show that you can legally meet the minimum financial requirement. They will have to fill in the 1-864 form and supply their IRS tax returns. If they file a joint tax return, their spouse will have to sign the I-864a. Your co-sponsor will be under the same legal responsibilities you are for E until he gets citizenship.

You also have to know that since he will be married to a US citizen, E can apply for citizenship after 3 years in the country instead of 5 like those who are not married to US citizens.
Holly, we are NOT British, so their rules do not apply to us. You have to remember that and follow just what our rules are or else you are going to drive yourself crazy with extra stress that you don't need. The list above is full and complete.

When you marry here in Tunisia, we do need the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (we'll call it a CONI since it is easier and is the exact same thing except we can only get ours from the US Embassy here in Tunisia since American law does not require such a paper) but there is no waiting period. Once you have all your paperwork in order, you go to the local municipality where you want to get married, tell them you want to marry, give them your paperwork, and they will set the appointment. If a time is available, you could get married the very next day.

Don't forget that you have to make an appointment to be seen at the US Embassy. You can only do this from online http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/appointments.html I would suggest you make the appointment at least one week before you want to be seen in order to ensure you get an appointment in the correct time frame.
Just another quick question: Would it be under notorial or non-notorial? I looked but couldn't find anything..maybe I missed it!