spending

love is forever

Hello I am curious to know how much usd to bring with me for my 10 day holiday. Not counting hotel and car rental. I want to have a wonderful time and try to see as much as I can. I won't be doing a lot of shopping. Mostly sight seeing and spending time with my fiance and his family. If anyone can kinda give me an idea of what I can expect I will be very greatful to all suggestions. I don't know prices of different things and I plan to bring cash.

Jane BM

It really does depend on how extravagant you are, whether you intend eating out in restaurants or more local eateries. Relatively speaking, your money will go a lot further in Tunisia, so you don't actually need to spend a great deal. X

Aslemma

Transport is cheap, though you do need to negotiate (haggle) with taxi drivers, or insist they put the meter on. Most restaurants have their price lists outside so you are unlikely to get any nasty shocks. That said, as you will probably be with your fiance when out shopping in the Medina etc you will get a far better price than if you were on your own, and that also applies to taxi fares. Some years ago I asked the price of a taxi from my hotel to the Medina and the driver said 5 dinar. I replied firmly "2". He repeated "5" I repeated "2" and he said "Get in!". He then told me his wife said he must charge tourists 6 to which I replied that as I'd been visiting Sousse for years I was hardly a tourist. We both had a laugh and I gave him 3 for his cheek.

love is forever

Thank y'all so much I appreciate your advice. I arrive on the 22nd and I will be going to Sousse. I will have a car so I won't need a taxi. I am just curious because my hotel is charging me in Euros instead of TND. Is it like this everywhere? I am only bringing a credit card for emergency use only.

Aslemma

Apart from hotels, most things will be charged in dinars, in fact I've never been asked if I wanted to pay in any other currency, though I believe that in some of the big shops you may be asked what currency you want to pay in. If this happens always say dinars, that way your card company will work out the exchange rate. You may like to google Oanda Cheat Sheet, which gives you the exchange rate for all world currencies, updated daily, and print off a copy to take with you so you have a better idea of prices.

You should be able to change your dollars in your hotel, failing which any of the banks will do it for you. The rate is set by the government so should be the same wherever you go. ATM's are everywhere, but in England at least a debit card invariably works out cheaper than a credit card if using these.