staying together before marriage??

Lola2312

Hi all,
I have read some threads on here about it but I am still really confused.
I am going over in November to stay for a month in an apartment(rented) and my boyfriend will be staying with me. I have asked the owners of apartment if he can stay and they said its fine however I keep reading that it is illegal.
I am English and he is Tunisian, is it illegal? And if so, what happens if we get caught? I'm now petrified I'm going to get arrested!
Someone said to me that there is something you can sign to say your committed to each other/engaged and its ok but I don't think this is true?

Any help would be great :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Tecnically illegal

If you flagged it up it would be frowned upon however its not really enforced.

The other way however where a Tunisian women with a foreign man that is much more likely to be enforced.

So if kept on the low down then should be ok

Muta or Sharia mariages are not valid in Tunisia you may as well do the hokey kokey for its legal protection.

I would not worry but then I would not flag it up to everyone either.

Deniability is the key word who knows your not sharing a flat with a friend etc etc

Anyhow nothing is going to happen to you lol

gem15

Nothing would happen to you if found out but to be honest the police have better things to do with their time at the moment if attention was brought to it by someone.

Just enjoy your visit and relax.

Lola2312

Thank you :) was starting to panic about it..
Im certainly not going to shout about it but obviously I mentioned it to apartment owner so was starting to worry lol

Another question, should I keep my passport on me at all times? As people keep mentioning police stopping people

gem15

Thank you :) was starting to panic about it..
Im certainly not going to shout about it but obviously I mentioned it to apartment owner so was starting to worry lol

Another question, should I keep my passport on me at all times? As people keep mentioning police stopping people
Take a copy just in case. Ive been living her 7 years and never been stopped but there are people that have been but I would advise against taking your original passport out.

Lola2312

Oops should have said copy not actual passport lol.
What happens if you get stopped and cant produce id?
Thanks for all advice :)

Mrs H

I've been stopped by the police over 50 times (6 times I'm one day but that was before the revolution and it's always been when I've been driving a hire car). Never once have they asked me for my id only my husbands). Once they realise your are European they are not interested.

There are some hotels and apartments that have issues with Europeans and locals staying together or even ones that don't allow tunisians to stay at all! So if your renter says its fine, i wouldn't worry about anything else. i was never asked for my passport, on the street or while driving, If you are worried about not being married, you could wear a fake wedding ring but you may freak your boyfriend out!!! lol

What area are you going to? Have a great time!

Lola2312

Yeah ive checked with each apartment ive asked about renting just to make sure he can defo stay.
I will be in the hammam sousse area? I cant wait!!

Jane BM

Just returned home today and while there I was asked for my passport twice by police....once in the early hours when clearly I didn't have it on me and then this morning as we were approaching the airport when I did have it on me.

OMG guys i didn't know it is illegal for unmarried couple to stay together!!! And who would find out plus what happen if they catch me?

gem15

OMG guys i didn't know it is illegal for unmarried couple to stay together!!! And who would find out plus what happen if they catch me?
Are you Tunisian? Would you stay in an apartment with your Tunisian girlfriend if you had one? If you got caught you could end up in prison for a minimum of 1 year.

Are you Tunisian? Would you stay in an apartment with your Tunisian girlfriend if you had one? If you got caught you could end up in prison for a minimum of 1 year.
Yes i am tunisian and yep i would stay in an apartment with my tunisian girl , why not?
i don't give a f*k what other say about it , it's my life...not of anyone's bussnies...........

gem15

Yes i am tunisian and yep i would stay in an apartment with my tunisian girl , why not?
i don't give a f*k what other say about it , it's my life...not of anyone's bussnies...........
I'm very surprised you don't know your own laws and it is their business as you are breaking the law.....plain and simple.

Never heard of it.
Well no one would notice what i am doing in my house or apartment, smh

gem15

Never heard of it.
Well no one would notice what i am doing in my house or apartment, smh
Lol tunisian neighbours are the biggest curtain twitchers I know. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing.

Lol tunisian neighbours are the biggest curtain twitchers I know. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing.
Haha it dépends on the place , not where i live , thank god

Those places u are talking about are " shittys"

scotty_bambam

Before I was married We used to get 2 rooms at hotels as I don't like apartments.when we were married I thought,great we can relax now,but first hotel we stayed at asked for proof of marriage.luckily my husband took his marriage certificate with him..this was in Tunis.but we never got asked in the small hotel on his home town far away from tourist area.

Before I was married We used to get 2 rooms at hotels as I don't like apartments.when we were married I thought,great we can relax now,but first hotel we stayed at asked for proof of marriage.luckily my husband took his marriage certificate with him..this was in Tunis.but we never got asked in the small hotel on his home town far away from tourist area.
When you booked 2 room, did you sleep with each other , didn't you? what i mean did he leave his room and went with you? because that's how it works :D