Taking a Car to Tunisia.

Shoe Gal

Hi All,

Hope you are all well.... just a quick question not sure if I'm posting in the right place but do any of you know anything about taking a car from the UK over to Tunisia?? We are thinking of buying one here and taking it over there where it will stay... any ideas?? Thanks :)

MellieC

its a pain in the arse if you are keeping it here, depending if you cahgne the plates etc.

mines here on UK plates, Gem15's is here on UK plates, there are a few here on UK plates. if you are a resident its OK for 12 months then you should decide what to do about it but there are ways around it!

much depends on how much you want a brit car here, they are cheaper there than here. but remember you are on the opposite side of the car when driving!

gem15

I wouldnt recommend it to be honest, its a pain in the bum!

Unless you have a tunisian partner that has been resident in the UK for 2 years or more then they can bring one over hastle free. When I say hastle free i mean its easier than if a non tunisian brings one over.

MellieC

i got to tax mine LOL, and everywhere says i have to go somewhere else!!!

it wasn't a prob bringing it in, no import docs etc, and they don't have to be less than 3 years old to bring them here, mine as you know is a 94 fronty lol

I owuldn't recommend actually shipping one here i think thats where the trouble starts, just drive the bugger here its cheaper too!

Cathibou

Remember if you drive it over it is stamped in your passport and you cant leave without it, unless you pay for it to be impounded with customs until your return.

Cathibou

its a pain in the arse if you are keeping it here, depending if you cahgne the plates etc.

mines here on UK plates, Gem15's is here on UK plates, there are a few here on UK plates. if you are a resident its OK for 12 months then you should decide what to do about it but there are ways around it!

much depends on how much you want a brit car here, they are cheaper there than here. but remember you are on the opposite side of the car when driving!
You can get Douane plates, and contrary to belief you don't have to leave the country every three months with it you just go and pay the Douane again and your car is extended.

You will need to get insurance once you arive in Tunisia, In all the years I drove back and forth never found any British car insurance that covered me in Tunisia

If you are considering it long term, My advise would be don't, not worth the hassel, go to the car market and buy one locally, take someone with you who knows what they are looking at and don't show any interest yourself as the price will double or trebble if the seller thinks a European is interested.

annh

Hello all, we are also thinking about taking our car with us next year. Suppose a Belgian insurance also doesn't cover Tunisia. Do you know how much does it cost in Tunisia to have an insurance for a medium sized car (Berlingo)? And what does the insurance cover?

Essem

Staff member
Hi annh

You'd have to ask you Belgian insurance company that one!

I have a Peugeot 206CC bought in 2003 from the souk in Tunis and fully comprehensive insurance cost me around 500 TD annually.

Road Tax can be bought at the local Ministry of Finance office.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its a pain in the bum

If your other half has his FCR or RS is easier since this is a advantage given to expat Tunisians whom live abroad for more than 2 years

RS tax free number plate driver and spouse only very good as you can get a expensive car for less than UK however pain in bum when you sell it as buyer has to have RS status.

FCR pay 25% of the normal tax to make the car Tunisian.... This is 25% of what the douane think its worth though. You can also buy these on the sly from people but again its not worth the hasstle*

For example I brought a golf with me paid 14,000 euros for it douane said it had a taxable value of 60,000 dinars ie 30,000 euros so you have to be careful which car you get.

* As you can guess there is a thriving wheeling and dealing scene with cars I am sure anyone rich enough to have a Bentley or Q7 in Tunis never actually pays the ful tax but that is a horrible world you want to stay out of.

There is talk of foreigners whom buy a house getting an RS hoever is as clear as mud as usual.

My advice buy a new car on leasing and pay the payments over 3+ years at a fixed rate the dinar will go down by about 3-5% a year. This is why the leasing is so popular as cars tend to go up in price each year (new). Or by a used car cash and get a deal if you can ironically I have found it easier dealing with people from ad rather than the souk since nicer car owners send a lackey who seldom negotiates. Also if there is something wrong with the car you can go to the owners house !

Essem

Staff member
Good idea to check if you can buy the spare parts and/or tyres for your particular car in Tunisia as they are not always available and can take time if ordered in.

I had to bring 2 tyres with me again this time - 9 kilos each so that was luggage allowance all gone apart from 2 k's.

Main dealer couldn't find the correct sized tyres in 'all of Tunisia' so had no option other than to carry them with me.

J

jimmykonior

Tunisia is friendly, safe and generally without problems, but still offers an experience in your rental car you can truly call a adventure.The population of Tunisia is a little more than nine million, some 1.8 million people live in Tunis and its suburbs, you'll find in the north of Tunisia in your rental car.