Traditional dishes

Hank

What are your favourite traditional dishes. I love brik and also Koucha.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Traditional dishes

I love all Tunisian food aside from fish (but that is down to not liking fish)

Cous Cous is a Tunisian dish that I love with Lamb, but for me it has to be
Mloukhiya unfortunately it has a habit of stinking the house out when Hajer cooks it for me in the UK but with fresh bread its lovely:).

What always makes me laugh in Tunisia is that if me and Hajer go to a resturant in Tunisia and ask the waiter if the food is good they are brutally honsest lol one even said "the cous cous is for tourists you will think its bad, thats bad, and that also but this is ok". Always go to a place with locals in.

Another tip when hungry go to a bakery they have some great pasty type creations with tuna and olives usually under a dinar.

All this is making me hungry i will get Hajer to airmail me some food right now!

kellyc

My favourite food is cous cous, my partners mum cooks the best cous cous and there is no way i will ever try to compete and cook it for my partner.

Kris i am so surprised you like Mloukhiya, it definately stinks the house out, and it looks horrid, i tried it sitting round the family table with my partners mum proudly waiting for me to try it, i had to swallow it and say it tasted great but its definately not for me [:'(]i thought maybe because i am from the Uk but you have surprised me do you lik harissa?

I also like Brik.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member

I am sorry my wifes fathers sister makes the best cous cous in world

I love harissa unfortunately sometimes I have it too much and I feel the burn :(

I love brik also hajer makes it for me here in Norwich mmm I also love Salad mechoua especially when you go to the market by the ingredients and then site over the carcoal BBQing it.

mmmm

pej

When I first tried Mloukhiya I didn't care for it at all, but last weeik when I was in Tunisia my fiance's mother made some - it was great, and also it didn't stink... but the way their house is built, every room faces the cortyard and is only accessible from there, including the kitchen which is rather large and the door is mostly kept open except for when it's too hot. i do love brik, but I esepcially like a kind I got where the filling was sort of whipped together like an omelet rather than that loose, runny egg that i'm not so fond of... I get interesting breakfasts at my fiance's house as well, last time I got grapes that i was supposed to put horribly sweet and oily sesame paste on... the next day I got a plate with olive oil, bread and dates. Right, I know what to do; dip the bread in the oil. But wait - dip the dates also...! Next time I'm going, I'm bringing my diabetic mother... looks like no coffee for her, and also she's a smoker... Not much, but I can't really see his family being cool with that. We'll get there the day before Eid, insha'allah, so there will be interesting food to sample.

[/align]
[blockquote][/blockquote]

kellyc

pej, i know the feeling!

Its Ramadan at the moment, and so not be able to eat, drink etc all day, we then go to my boyfriends parents to eat, and when ive been so hungry all day some of the food just does not help the situation, last night all i wanted was to fill my face with cous cous, instead, i got some soup that tasted very different, spaghetti, that i didnt like and some bread with salad, there was plenty of food but none that i liked, oh well heres hoping tonight is different!!!!!

oh and i hate harissa, i have tried it but it makes my tongue tang too much, the burn!!!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member

I woke up late today and I am soooooo hungry especially as everyone else in my office is chomping away.

I am going to start a ramadan thread

pej

kellyc, you don't like harissa?? Even my friends who won't even so much as look at a spicy dish like harissa... I bought some in Bizerte earlier this year and altyhough if my fiance was here it would probably be gone by now, it will last me for quite some time.

[/align]

Debdoba

I love salata mechouia and brik and shourba and mloukhia and cous cous and harrisa. hehe

pej

On another forum, a woman wrote that she had asked for "brik wraps" in a store, and they just looked at her like she was mad... of course, if you're not familiar with brik and just hear it siad in English, it sounds quite funny! Why would anyone want to wrap bricks up, and also why ask for that in a grocery store...?:D

[/align]
[blockquote][/blockquote]

Debdoba

Yeah I never thought of it that way, when you say it in english. Hehehe funny.

[/align]

SageMother

Each country and each culture have their own ideas about health food. What are the food items that are popular in Tunisia? Is the vitamin supplement industry as large in Tunisia as it is in the USA?

flstate1989

or recipe, or gain, etc. that someone in the US would've heard of? I'm interested in eating some traditional foods.

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

There are many famous dishes in Tunisia, the most popular and one you have probably heard of is couscous, this is a very traditional dish for the families in Tunisia, normally mixed with vegetables, potatoe and meat - absolutely yum!

liz

I live in the US and granted i dated a Tunisian for 3 years and there is a Tunisian rest. in NYC but yeah i would agree Couscous is standard but in the US many people would say that is Moroccan because they are not familiar with Tunisia. Most people that have a clue would say Harrrisa! I also think a lot of people here know what a Brik is.
hope that helps
Liz

kellyc

Hi

Hi

Yes I would definately agree Harrissa, which is their favourite spice, though absolutely kills me when I try to eat it, but they do use Harrissa to cook with their food to give it the flavour, as well as spread it on bread like we would butter.

Brik - I must say I had never heard of that before eating it in Tunisia, though Im from England so it may vary! Also Tagine is a traditional food item at the family table. It's taken me a while to get used to Tunisian food but its finally worn on me.

tater03

Thanks for the link. I would agree that most of the restaurants here are Moroccan but they are very good.

ROULLA

Hi tater03,
tasted moroccan food before but theres nothing like a Tunisian meal with harrissa and other north african countries don't use enough spice , without spice food is tasteless. slata menswaya is lovely with eassa and plenty of harrissa .............yummy

dancer

Heya I live in the Uk and am desperate to find some Harrissa. Does any1 know a site that I can order it off? Thanks