Traditional dishes

maynardlynne

you're allowed to drink wine there :eek:
wish i was allowed, when i had my birthday and engagement party it was strictly coke. we had alcohol in our room but certainly were not allowed to drink it with the family. :rolleyes: but i guess all families are different. i wish i would be allowed a drink from time to time there, i mean where's the harm in a glass of wine with a meal, i get so sick from drinking coke all the time as there is nothing else to drink! apart from water of course but that's boring. lol. i don't like having to hide things from the family. and we are gonna have this whole alcohol or no alcohol at the wedding argument soon i can tell lol
his mam and sisters dont drink or smoke so we sit in seperate rooms.........many times we go to hotel to drink just me and hubby and come back plastered ......and they are fine about it.......what good inlaws i have..............XXX

Boyfriend's Dad is an alkie, so no issues with the drinking for us. ;) Although, boyfriend doesn't drink in-front of his Mum, he has no qualms about showing up on her doorstep collapsing for drink. :D

No issue with smoking, either. They're so proud of me. :D 40+ a day, and now nothing! :D

I want a cigarette!! :(

I think all that really has to do with the family, though. Maybe I'm fortunate?? Lol.

As for drinking at the wedding -- some people drink, some don't, so why should it be entirely about those who don't?? They don't have to touch it/go near it, do they?? ;)

stephstanley

As for drinking at the wedding -- some people drink, some don't, so why should it be entirely about those who don't?? They don't have to touch it/go near it, do they?? ;)
very true, you shouldnt have to chose which side to make happy, no one had any problem at our wedding at all

stephstanley

yes i agree, i know theres the 'respect their culture' thing, but i am respecting their culture by having the registry office tunisian dealy. i know i am getting married in tunisia but its not through choice, its through convinience. they should appreciate that im british and we have a little drink to celebrate at a wedding. especially as my family will travel from another country and spend all that money to go there, they should have at least one drink to toast my wedding! i think i should do it like steph said, just let those who want to drink, have a drink. those who don't like it don't have to drink it. it's not like i'm gonna be force feeding people am i. hmm
We tried to get those drinking to all sit by us so that they were at least a bit separate, but no one bothered they just sat wherever, so the tables where mixed too.

We had a registry office wedding Sian, followed by a meal and party in a hotel-I would defo recommend it-best day ever :)

yes i agree, i know theres the 'respect their culture' thing, but i am respecting their culture by having the registry office tunisian dealy. i know i am getting married in tunisia but its not through choice, its through convinience. they should appreciate that im british and we have a little drink to celebrate at a wedding. especially as my family will travel from another country and spend all that money to go there, they should have at least one drink to toast my wedding! i think i should do it like steph said, just let those who want to drink, have a drink. those who don't like it don't have to drink it. it's not like i'm gonna be force feeding people am i. hmm
Don't let them push you into a wedding where the men and women don't socialize. ;)

My boyfriend's friend didn't see his new wife until after the celebrations. Lol.

stephstanley

Don't let them push you into a wedding where the men and women don't socialize. ;)

My boyfriend's friend didn't see his new wife until after the celebrations. Lol.
Ive been to a wedding like that-wierd!!!

We had the opposite, I stayed with him the night before, we had a family lunch and travelled to the registry office together :D

My boyfriend's brother-in-law could only see his new wife (boyfriend's sister) from across the room. Lmao. No alcohol, and the whole she-bang (7-days, with those massive dresses). Not really religious people, but I guess that sort of wedding just appealed to them??

But when my boyfriend got married, he had a mixed wedding full of alcohol and stuff, and everyone was FINE!! :D

stephstanley

My boyfriend's brother-in-law could only see his new wife (boyfriend's sister) from across the room. Lmao. No alcohol, and the whole she-bang (7-days, with those massive dresses). Not really religious people, but I guess that sort of wedding just appealed to them??

But when my boyfriend got married, he had a mixed wedding full of alcohol and stuff, and everyone was FINE!! :D
Ah the one i went to the bride didnt even attend!!!:eek:

Oh i loved my wedding, only been married 5 and half weeks but want to do it again already :D

How's it a wedding without a bride?? Lol.

We're not ready for marriage... Despite a baby!! Lmao. Never know, though... Might come back from Tunisia married. ;)

We keeping talking about it, but never actually get round to organizing it. I think we're fine the way we are... Maybe that's why our marriage is all talk and no action?? Lol.

stephstanley

How's it a wedding without a bride?? Lol.

We're not ready for marriage... Despite a baby!! Lmao. Never know, though... Might come back from Tunisia married. ;)

We keeping talking about it, but never actually get round to organizing it. I think we're fine the way we are... Maybe that's why our marriage is all talk and no action?? Lol.
Yeah apparently afull on religious thing?

Ah there will be a time when you realise your both ready until then Im sure your happy as you are x

sparkle

bet its cous cous with lamb, hmmm lovely

jukcoder

I am sure somebody knows what are the ingredients of drough soupe - a well known breakfast known to be very healthy . It's similar to oat porridge here, in the UK

Hayaaaaak Allah

bobby g

Not sure, is it the greyish looking gruel. It looks to me if it could be semolina based but I could well be wrong.

I guess it may taste nicer than it looks, I confess I've never tried it.:)

Dane

Janan

Banned
it is not spice, it is powder for preparing food

C

Cas

I think it is dried powdered spinach used in some soups and meat dishes.

L

Lissy

In Arabic it is called Mloukhia which is Jew's Marrow in English. It is made into a sauce that is eaten with meat. Not my personal favourite but the Tunisians like it!!!

zabouti

In Arabic it is called Mloukhia which is Jew's Marrow in English. It is made into a sauce that is eaten with meat. Not my personal favourite but the Tunisians like it!!!
It takes a few times, but once your taste buds get it, mloukhia is absolutely wonderful. Veal, garlic, olive oil, mloukia - what could go wrong?

Loopy

Hi Everyone ...

This is my first posting ... But would really love some ideas of Tunisian Vegetarian food I could cook, no meat or fish ....Other than salads and couscous?

I'm going over there in a couple weeks and want to cook for my b/f, but want to make the effort and try something Tunisian for him ....And want to test it out myself to perfect it, before cooking it for him!! :)

Thanks for your help!
L x

MellieC

Hi loopy, welcome to the mad house.

there are many tunisian famillies who cannot afford meat every day, so whatever is cooked is just cooked "meatless" and there are many "soup" type meals ~ so cook whatever and leave the meat out its not considered wierd!

or try some veggie meals and "tune" them up ~ how about cheese, onion and potato pie? couple of slices of Tomato on top, couple of grilled peppers served with it, and try adding harissa to the mash?

Fred (my hubby) is not overly keen on mash but i add harissa to it, and he loiters with intent fork in hand in the kitchen if i make shepards pie sorry thats a meat dish but doesn't have to be? ~ shepards pie suprise ~ suprise is no shepard in it)

Roast potatoes NEVER make it to the table cos he eats the bloody lot!!

there was a Brit veggie at mine not long ago, I made spagetti for the guys, and us brits had EGG CHIPS AND BEANS (heinz beanz at that lol)
not sure if you eat eggs? if you do then you maybe suprised to know that so do tunes, and chips although the cut them thinly and shallow fry (NOT IN MY HOUSE WE DONT) and they eat beans ~ haricot beans in tomato sauce ~

just experiment ~ and i know you wnat to cook for him, but trust me its too damned hot to be in a kitchen until late at night at the moment lol

the rule in this house is if you don't like/want what I HAVE COOKED ~ the choices are ~
Eat it and shut up
Cook something yourself
STARVE!

it has a tendancy to work lol

you might try a google search "Tunisian vegetarian dishes" or something like that ~ and see what is there

good luck and enjoy your time with you guy!