Travel Insurance for a Visitor Visa

cactus

I dont think your right on this Lynne. Im quite sure as a visitor to this country he will be charged to use the NHS. They are also changing settlement to having to have insurance until ILR (so i remember Mel saying about the changes.)

you are right CP, visitor visa holders are not entitled to free NHS care.
they can register with their hosts GP but pay privately for consultation and are not entitled to NHS prescription it is a private script.
in an emergency they can attend A&E any admission to hospital including intensive care or emergency surgery needs to be paid for and can run into thousands.
if they dont pay their bill to the NHS, they will not be issued with another visa in the future.

cactus

Spoke to our Doctors surgery this morning and they rang me back and said that as he is under settlement visa he is entitled to free NHS!! and wouldnt be charged.....
settlement is free NHS jane as they are resident

cactus

Some other bits are free too, A&E and walk in centres are free, but inpatient/outpatient services aren't............. but when did anyone ever ask for proof of ID or if you're only visiting the country ??

hi debbie
walk in centres and gp access centres are not free
if you are not registered you need to provide ID
if they don't have an NHS number which all residents have then they need to show passport with visa, if they don't they don't get treatment

cactus

anytthing "transmissable" is free

tried to register h at my docs and they will take him as a private patient only - now chargeable

yes right like treatment for TB is free

MellieC

so how comes my husband got a NHS card for free prescriptions the same as me bc i get WTC????
WTC know he is not entitled to funds.
he does pay NI so why cant he get help?????
he is registered with GP and has never had to pay for services like blood test, chest xray etc.
this is confusing........:confused:
because YOU are on WTC. when one person is in receipt of WTC and they are not subject to immigrtation control, (you as a brit cit) then he is treated as also not being subject to immigration control.

as he pays NI in his own right, he is entitled to the benefits of it.

if you are both working how come you are getting WTC?

you both only working a few hours?

MellieC

Some other bits are free too, A&E and walk in centres are free, but inpatient/outpatient services aren't............. but when did anyone ever ask for proof of ID or if you're only visiting the country ??
they are supposed to have been doing that for a while now, and its NOW being enforced, it costs the UK taxpayer a bundle!

not as much as the councils CCTV it seems!

MellieC

you are right CP, visitor visa holders are not entitled to free NHS care.
they can register with their hosts GP but pay privately for consultation and are not entitled to NHS prescription it is a private script.
in an emergency they can attend A&E any admission to hospital including intensive care or emergency surgery needs to be paid for and can run into thousands.
if they dont pay their bill to the NHS, they will not be issued with another visa in the future.
which wasn't being enforced but is now or the govt are trying to, and I support that stance, especially banning them from coming back!!!

MellieC

Maybe it's a postcode lottery thing again?
it almost looks that way, and anyone can be forgiven for being confused, those working in the hospitals ~ they are NOT immigration officers, its a lot to expect them to know one set of regs from another, unless the new biometrics STATE NHS treatment accepted or words to that effect, how are people always going to know?

it is not policy of UK hospitals to ask for ID from BC's, so asking it from some of the population whether they be on sort or long stay visa's goes against the grain a bit?

short term visa family route migration don't have access, long term visa family route do, teir system do,
EU citizens do IN SOME circumstances, not all, and their family members do in some circumstnaces not all.....

can you see the staff at the surgeries and hospitals arguing the toss with people about who is netitled to what?
then there are the anomalies, fred is one, (well he one any time) on one hand he is here in the UK as the spouse of an EEA citizen, no access to PF for 3 months, however as I am a Brit, and entitled to whatever, and he derives his rights through me, he is entitled to whatever i am.

his passport stamp is "PF" accepted, whereas another EEA citizen non eu spouse would not be.....

emergency treatment and comunicable diseases are always treated freely, we don't usually intend to kill people off in the UK becuase they can't pay or don't have insurance?

but be sure that health cover is going to be a major player in the future in immigration because it is in the EEA regs already!!

maynardlynne

because YOU are on WTC. when one person is in receipt of WTC and they are not subject to immigrtation control, (you as a brit cit) then he is treated as also not being subject to immigration control.

as he pays NI in his own right, he is entitled to the benefits of it.

if you are both working how come you are getting WTC?

you both only working a few hours?
hi mel
i was already on disability before i started work. my first year i got all the standed benefits for going back to work etc. so now i get WTC only for my disability. this will not stop.
hope you understand what i said...lol

Jane BM

settlement is free NHS jane as they are resident
Thanks for that Cactus..........i was getting confused............(easily done!!! eh)....

DebbieZebbes

hi debbie
walk in centres and gp access centres are not free
if you are not registered you need to provide ID
if they don't have an NHS number which all residents have then they need to show passport with visa, if they don't they don't get treatment
HI cactus. It states on the department of health website that walk in centres are free. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374

What do I have to pay for?
All treatment given by staff at a hospital or by staff employed by a hospital may be subject to a charge with the following exceptions; which are free to all;
  • Treatment given in an accident and emergency department (excludes emergency treatment given elsewhere in the hospital);​
  • Treatment given in a walk in centre providing similar services to those of an accident and emergency department of a hospital;​
  • Treatment for certain communicable diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS where it is only the first diagnosis and connected counselling sessions that are charge free);​
  • Compulsory psychiatric treatment.​
  • Family planning services​
It also states that Regulations place the responsibility of deciding who is entitled to receive free hospital treatment with the hospital providing treatment. No wonder it's a postcode lottery.

xtonicx

So would you say it's best to go for a travel insurance quote (or whatever is similar over in Tunisia) to put in the visa application if they will be charged? Just to be on the safe side, I don't want hubby to be ill lol
He would have to have travel insurance. My husband came over on a visitor visa before we got married, last summer. As he stayed for 3 months in 1 go he bought 1 years travel insurance from his local post office, think it was around £60.

*Jess*

He would have to have travel insurance. My husband came over on a visitor visa before we got married, last summer. As he stayed for 3 months in 1 go he bought 1 years travel insurance from his local post office, think it was around £60.
I thought he would. That's not as expensive as I thought. Thank you for letting me know.

lainie

he doesnt have to have travel insurance.
we got vv without it

xtonicx

he doesnt have to have travel insurance.
we got vv without it
yes we got the visitor visa without the insurance, my husband then bought it after. They can be denied entry clearance without it, more importantly if anything happened when here they would need it. So for around £10 for 1 month and £60 for the year why would you risk it.

*Jess*

yes we got the visitor visa without the insurance, my husband then bought it after. They can be denied entry clearance without it, more importantly if anything happened when here they would need it. So for around £10 for 1 month and £60 for the year why would you risk it.
Yeah its worth it and like you said if anything happened here he would need it.