Tunisian Arabic

Rabz12

Hi there im new to the forum i just wanted to find out if i could learn basic tunisian arabic on here or if someone could help me. My bf is from there he speaks good english but i just wanted to impress him when i go back with some arabic just so i could have a conversation flowing lol and its also great to meet people :) x

ROULLA

Hi there im new to the forum i just wanted to find out if i could learn basic tunisian arabic on here or if someone could help me. My bf is from there he speaks good english but i just wanted to impress him when i go back with some arabic just so i could have a conversation flowing lol and its also great to meet people :) x
Hi Rabz and welcome to the forum! There are loads of threads that have words that you could learn if you read some of these threads. Or you could always ask what it is that you want to know and I am more than sure that our lovely members on here will help you.
1. http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/i-want-to-learn-tunisian-arabic.6005/
2. http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/translations-thread.2310/
3. http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/learning-tunisian-arabic.5458/#post-199614
4. This one is a good one as there are quite a few words on here http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/the-tunisian-online-teaching-thread-translation-thread.3104/

Essem

Staff member
Arabic Alphabet

arabic alphabet.jpg

HammametGirlie

Some phrases..

Yes- ayi/aiwa/naam
No-le
Maybe-momken
Ok-dakkor/behi
Not-moush
In-fel
On-fou9
With-ma'a/bih
But-ema/leken
And-ou
Or-wella
Also-zeda
What?-chnia?/chnowa?
When?-wa9tesh?
Where?-win?
Who?-chkoun?
Why?-3alech?
How?-kifesh?
Good morning- sba7 el 5ir
Hello-aslemma/Alo
Welcome- marhaba beek/ ahla bik
Goodbye-bislemma
Peace be upon you-salam 3alaykom
Have a good night-tisbah ala 5ir
See you later- nchoufek mb3ad
See you tomorrow- nchoufek ghodwa
How are you- lebesse?/ achnouwa a7welek?
Thanks to god- 7amdullah/ el 7amdou lelleh
Fine- labese
Good- behi
Not good- mouch behi
Here and there/Like that- hakeka
And you?- Winti?
Please (for god)- billahi
Please- brabbi/3aychek/min fadhlek
Sorry/forgive me- Sama7ni
God bless you- yer7mek Allah
God bless my parents and yours- yar7am weldina ou weldik
May god show you the way- yehdikom Allah
In the name of god (before to do something)- Bismilla
Health/ sa7a
I give you health- ya3tik sa7a
Congratulations-mabrouk
You too- inti zeda
My name is- ismi
What's your name?- shismik?
Where are you from?- mneen inti?
I'm from- Ana min..
I understand a little bit of arabic- taki 3arbi chwaya
Look!-Chouf!
Chill out (widen your mind)- wasa3 balek
Be careful- rod belek
I love you- enhebek
I miss you- twahashtek
Eat!-kool!

Ok I'll do more another time lol, hope this gives you a few starters x

Last edited:

Aslemma

That's very useful. I do think however it might make it easier for the Arabic to be written phonetically, rather than with numbers (3, 5,7,9 etc) e.g. ahrbi rather than 3arbi, as most people don't really know how to pronounce these symbols. I know quite a few sounds don't actually translate phonetically but anything which can help understanding is helpful and I've found Tunisians very appreciative of any attempts to speak their language.

HammametGirlie

Yes, I see what you're saying. We could make the sounds known though maybe? For example, 7 is the HA sound, 3 is aaa, 5 is khaa. If you see essams post of the arabic alphabet it helps because the numbers which I wrote are used because they look quite similar to the arabic letters, those sounds can't really be translated.

Aslemma

I have had a small Dorling Kindersley Arabic phrase book for many years and it simply uses an approximate phonetic translation which is somewhat easier. Many, or perhaps most people simply want to be able to make themselves understood and numbers mixed in with letters does tend to complicate things. I think only a very few dedicated foreigners will ever be able to perfect their Arabic pronunciation but anything which makes it easier for the rest of us is to be applauded.

J

JenniBoyle

To learn Tunisian Arabic, I suggest this book, published on Amazon:
'Tunisian Arabic in 30 Lessons", very helpful, easy to read self- instruction book destined to native speakers of English who want to learn Tunisian Arabic before traveling to Tunisia. It is also an excellent resource for students and Linguists.

ROULLA

ROULLA