Tunisian attractions

Jenny

The interior of a troglodyte house, Matmata
Located in the mountains of Djerba, Matmata is a troglodyte village named after a Berber tribe. The lunar-like landscape consists of craters dug into the ground and made into houses, some of which date back to the 4th century

View attachment 311
Hi Roulla,
how far is it from Tunis to Matmata? And how is the best way to travel there from Tunis?

ROULLA

Hi Jenny hope that you and your family are all in good health! I dont know how far exactly but the distance is 400 KM ...ruffly.

BRISASSS

Wherever is the distance it's worthy to see it !!!

ROULLA

List of Festivals in Tunisia

Festivals
When
Where

Yasmine Hammamet Festival 12 July
Hammamet
International Festival of Jazz 29 June-7 July
Tabarka
Falconry Festival 23-25 June
Haouaria
Thoroughbred Horse Festival 5-6-7-8 July
Meknassy (Sidi Bouzid)
International Festival of Carthage 12 July- 23 August
Tunis
International Festival of Hammamet 13 July - 22 August
Hammamet
International Festival of Sousse 14 July -18 August
Sousse
Ulysse Festival 17-25 July
Djerba
International Festival of Testour (Malouf) 17-31 July (35th edition)
Testour (Béja)
International Festival of Bizerta 14 July -17 August
Bizerta
Plastic Art festival 22 July - 6 August
Mahrès (Sfax)
International Festival of Dougga 15 July -5 August (25th edition)
Dougga
International Festival of Symphonic Music 14 July -11 August
El Jem (Mahdia)
Carthage-Byrsa Festival (exhibition) 15 July -15 September
Carthage
Nights of El Marsa 13 July- 18 August
La Marsa
Shopping 1 August 15 September
Tunis
Sahara Douz Festival 8-11 November
Douz
Oasis Festival 3-6 November
Tozeur
Tourism Saharan Day 12 November
Sud
Medina Festival Ramadan
Tunis

C

Cas

Thanks Roulla for the list of festivals, really important as we have never known when they are held. Just sometimes are lucky to see something as during Ramadan etc. I f anyone has ever seen anything held at The house of Georges Sebastien in Hammamet would like to hear about it.
Thanks again for all the important info you let us know about.
One day would like to hear that groups of people on holiday go to support some of these events sort of like they do at Verona etc.

ROULLA

Hi Cas hope that you and your family are all in good health! I have been to Sebastians house before its in Hammamet ..Can't remember how much it is to get into but it was only about couple of dinars, nothing expensive..There is a small place where you can sit in the garden and have a coffee but its really quiet..They have also had a few concerts there before, when i went there once , this was years ago i saw Cheb Khaled in concert there and it was a really nice atmosphere...Take care.

Dar Sebastian Hammamet
When one thinks of Tunisia it is often of the distinctive whitewashed houses and blue windows of Sidi Bou Said along with the Beautiful wooden doors which have become a form of Tunisian trade mark.

Though there are numerous beautiful buildings in Tunisia there is one that is very famous and has been held up as not as just a wonderful example of Tunisian architecture but as world famous example.

Built in the 1920's buy George Sebastian (Romanian) Dar Sebastian is located (blink and you miss it) south of the centre of Hammamet on the main route to Yasmine.

ROULLA

Morning guys, hope that you are all in good health! I know that this is not an attraction as such but i did not know where to add this picture...There is the new express train in Nabeul ..

And there are also sweet dolls that they make out of sugar in Nabeul, they are so clever
and the sweet stalls look so delicious as well. And there is also a really nice newly built beledia if thats how you spell it, in Nabeul...

Is the beledia the entrance to Nabeul(tourist) market?Looks the same to me.

ROULLA

Hi Soltef, no its the registry office as well as other things..and its opposite the Cafe fashions restaurant..

Wow!I will have to go on the new express train (where's Nabeul station,lol!)-probably beats a ride a Carthage Land!Is it cheap?

ROULLA

The entrance to the market is near the bortorkal..oranges in Nabeul.
this thing...

Hi Soltef, no its the registry office as well as other things..and its opposite the Cafe fashions restaurant..
Thanks,Roulla!I will be more observant next time I visit Nabeul(whilst hastily being dragged down the corniche en route to the supermarket and beach),haha-get no time for real/women's shopping!

ROULLA

Medinat Alzahra Parc

Medinat Alzahra Parc
Address: Route de Kondar, Kalaa Kebira
Sousse
Telephone: +216 (73) 343 422
Fax: +216 (73) 343 122

The Medinat Alzarha Parc provides an evenings entertainment with a sound and light show using the latest technology. There is a restaurant for meals before the show begins and the show is suitable for adults and children.

The show times are 9.30pm on Mondays, Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays. The park and restaurant is open from 8pm

lynsey:o)

i have been to Friguia Park and its really good, its a good day out and will be enjoyed by all - whatever the age :)

ROULLA

i have been to Friguia Park and its really good, its a good day out and will be enjoyed by all - whatever the age :)
Hi Lynsey, hope that you are in good health! Yes Friguia park in Enfida is a really nice place and really cheap as well..Well worth it if you have kids and would like to let them run wild....

Daily Where:Friguia Park.. under 3s free..
Opening Hours:9am-6pm (until 4pm in winter)
Friguia Park in Sousse is home to wildlife including mammals, reptiles and more than 25 endangered African species.
Advertisement
Educational as well as entertaining, Friguia Park allows children to discover the animals in a natural environment, and to take rides on camels and donkeys.

Those wishing to spend the whole day at Friguia Park can pre-book dinner with an African show, featuring Zulus and a Tunisian folklore group entertainment in the African hut. For further information, please contact Hotel Kanta

marhaba

I been to port el kantaoui zoo. Not that it is much of a zoo lol. What sorta zoo Has Mexican Dogs in lol and They nearly ad my fingers off lol!! tbh There was plenty of sheep there too ahah

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Somtimes I get a little drepressed in "zoo's" in Tunisia as some are not so nice to the animals and the cages are very small.

I hope that we can get some minimum standards in place here for the future as its not nice for tree huggers like me or more importantly the animals themselves.

There is space for a nice park in Tunisia I remember going a few years ago to a lovely part park in Tenerife lovely professional, clean and packed out.

Somtimes I get a little drepressed in "zoo's" in Tunisia as some are not so nice to the animals and the cages are very small.

I hope that we can get some minimum standards in place here for the future as its not nice for tree huggers like me or more importantly the animals themselves.

There is space for a nice park in Tunisia I remember going a few years ago to a lovely part park in Tenerife lovely professional, clean and packed out.
I hated seeing the animals at Carthage Land in Yasmine Hamammet, they were obviously sedated in some way, very sad :(

sparkle

kRIS - I WORRY ABOUT HOW I WILL COPE SEEING THE ANIMALS MISTREATED ALL THE TIME WHEN I MOVE OUT. I HATED THIS WHEN I WAS THERE BEFORE, WHY DO THEY TIE THERE POOR FEET UP WITH ROPE THAT RUBS AND LEAVES SCARES. I GET SO EMOTIONAL, I SAW MEN THROWING SMALL DOGS INTO THE SEA FOR FUN ALSO WHEN I WAS IN PORT EL KANTOUI, I HAD TO BE HELD BACK, THEY WERE ALSO DOING THIS IN FRONT OF THERE SMALL CHILDREN SO THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THOSE KIDS IN MY OPINION WHEN THEY WATCH THERE PARENTS DO MINDLESS THINGS LIKE THIS FOR FUN, ITS A DISGRACE.

LOTS OF TRAVELLERS YOU KNOW SAY I WONT GO BACK THERE BECAUSE OF THE ANIMAL CRUELTY, I KNOW ANIMALS ARE USED FOR WORK BUT DOES THIS MEAN THEY HAVE TO SUFFER IN THIS WAY. THEY COULD STILL HAVE WORK ANIMALS AND TREAT THEM BETTER, MAYBE THEY WOULD GET MORE WORK OUT THEM IF THEY WERE HAPPY WORK ANIMALS. SO VERY SAD