Tunisian Food

RachaelLahmar

Has been deleted by Rachael Kelly

kellyc

Hi

Im very lucky as my fiance does all the cooking in our house and he is a fantastic cook takes after his mum which is great, he looks after me very well :) ive never tried to cook at his parents home as i get weighted on hand and foot even when i try to help im told to sit down and relax as awkward as this makes me feel its so sweet to see how his family run around after me like royalty.

I am a great fan of cous cous and various foods, but i must say that my fiances parents are not well off and his mum is one of the best cooks i have ever met, i do not see how being wealthy or poor can at all affect the technique or taste of food?? arent all vegetables and food the same no matter where they are bought from?

woudlg

I agree with Kelly - cooking skills don't necessarily correlate with wealth! Perhaps you meant that those families who are better off financially may have access to better cuts of meat etc.? In which case, this would be a (universal) social issue as opposed to something unique to Tunisia. My observation is that even those Tunisian families with very little to give will go out of their way to please guests with food etc. I bought a Tunisian cook book which was crammed with recipes using offal including lamb's brains ... yeuch....my mother-in-law now teases me that there's brains in everything she gives me lol I love most Tunisian foods, but am not a fish lover so don't touch anything that looks back at me!!

RachaelLahmar

Wealth

Comment has been deleted- Deleted By Rachael

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I love all food unless I have to kill it which apprently is my job as we have had a new baby.

RachaelLahmar

Sheep

Hi Kris,

yes you will lol i hate seeing the sheep being hung from the olive tree in the garden not very nice lol. But it tastes nice BBQed lol!

Good luck.!

kellyc

hi

Hi Rachael,

I dont think the defensive is on the aspect of money, but your comments that you beleive better food comes from those who are wealthier (wealthier as in have money!) than those who are poorer, maybe you should spend some time living in an outside village such as my fiances village to understand tunisian way of life. I am taking my parents to my fiances village tomorrow to meet my fiances parents, and I know that the food being served tomorrow will taste as great as a restaurant that could cost the earth and im not at all worried that my mother in law to be's food will not taste even better than some of the food ive tasted in restaurants around Kantaoui. Vegetables are vegetables at the end of the day all hand picked - if you think about where you buy your vegetables from?? surely from a family owned land where they have spent all day picking them to be sold in supermarkets such as Champion and Monoprix! as for the meat, again maybe if a family is slightly wealthier than they can afford a better cut of meat, but its the chef that can make a good meal form whatever they have in front of them, and you will find that most Tunisian's know how to cook.

RachaelLahmar

As you can see i have deleted my comments as i did not want them to cause offence to everyone/anyone. I was just on here giving my views.

Please accept my Apologies.

jacqui0414

Hi Rachael

you should not delete your opinions, my husband is from outside major cities in Tunisia and he read your comments and was in no way offended, so keep saying what you think, that is the whole point of these forums to discuss, so your opinion will always be heard no matter what other people think.

Jacqui

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone been to one of those roadside BBQ type places, the old road between Bizerte and Tunis has a few of them.

I also noticed an interesting one on the way to Sousse however the Camels head handing up put me off a bit.

jacqui0414

Hi Kris

I have been to BBQ place between kasserine and sbeitla it was very nice i had lamb was a bit scared though seen the animal hanging up my husband and his brother chose which one they wanted cooked and hey presto i had my food lol :)

RachaelLahmar

Road to Saloh <---- cant spell

There is one just up the road from where i use to live.

Me and Anis use to buy cuts of lamb (our choice) which we paid about 40td for and watch the guys cook it in front of you its lush! :p With bread and fil fil (green peppers) mmm but the flys where horrible buzzing around everything on your hands and feet while you eating. The Tunisian's around us didnt seem to mind it :rolleyes:

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

From Sahloul and all the way into Tunis as well as the other way to Monastir there are plenty of these, I have just been driving past loads on my way home from Carthage, not once have I ever stopped to try it, though sometimes the smell is sooo nice, Im just so picky with my food but keep promising I will give it a go, must say Im slowly going off meat the more I see the cow's sitting outside my flat ready for the butcher that we live above!!! I also missed out on L'Eid last year so never got to watch the cutting of the sheep as my parents were here on holiday at the same time and so I let my fiance do the honours of spending the day with the family without me ;) though he kindly supplied us with plenty of pictures of the process!!! eeks cant say im looking forward to that part next year.

anglisciste

If you live in Tunis, try one of the 'mechoui' in la Route de Bizerte. It's very nice! They will grill the meat on the spot. Racheal, I think you paid too much: 40 dinars seem to me an excessive price for 2 people. You will never be able to finish it off.. :) unless you took some meat with you home.

RachaelLahmar

Hi anglisciste

Well i didnt payfor it my fiancee did so he knew what he was doing i think:rolleyes: lol There was alot of meat and we took alot back with us for his mum to make a nice meal out of but for acouple of kilos i think it is about 25 td? well in these places anyway because they cook it and give you extra peices as well! yum yum

anglisciste

Well I'm glad they did not over charge you as your partner is Tunisian. It is indeed about 25 dinars for a couple of kilos. I was right to say that you must have taken some meat with you home. Otherwise, you would be 'gourmande'. :) Have a nice day.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently I am scheduled in to kill a sheep this year... I don;t want to do t so I am going to refuse I worry I may start killing people LOL

I remember last Eid driving down the motorway and seeng "Gieant sheep from 250tnd or somthing like that" nobody could understand why I wet myself laughing can you imagine Sainsburies with animals out front.

Has anyone alo noticed that sheep in tunisia have a flat flap at the back LOL its true I noticed that UK sheep only have the tail not a flap?

anglisciste

Hi Kris, you are right about the tail and flap. They are two sorts of animals. Not from the same family or breed. The British lamb has less fat. The Tunisian lamb is tastier but has more fat. So try to buy a small sheep, you will have less fat. To be honest with you, you need to have someone experienced may be a farmer who can pick up a small sheep for you. Another thing you can still eat mutton (the meat of the sheep once killed) in Tunisia though it's very fat but mutton in the UK is tasteless. I always eat lamb (the meat of a small lamb:spring lamb) but no mutton whether in Tunisia or the Uk.
As for the way those animals are presented, hanged in front of the shops, I agree it is awful but one of those things. My English wife couldn't stand it either!
Have a nice one!

pej

This is interesting! Well at least I think so lol.

kellyc

Hi,

I also hate the fact that they hang them in the front of shops, one thing that gets me is when you walk through the medina or street and theyve stuck things in the Cow's mouth whilst the poor head is hanging there, I remember seeing a dummy and cigerette stuffed in a few. But there was a report on the Tunisian news the other day and they are going to implement a stop on the hanging of animals out the front of the shops and I think it could be coming into place already as the local shop in my fiances city had a toy cow hanging out side lol :)

Hi Kris, you are right about the tail and flap. They are two sorts of animals. Not from the same family or breed. The British lamb has less fat. The Tunisian lamb is tastier but has more fat. So try to buy a small sheep, you will have less fat. To be honest with you, you need to have someone experienced may be a farmer who can pick up a small sheep for you. Another thing you can still eat mutton (the meat of the sheep once killed) in Tunisia though it's very fat but mutton in the UK is tasteless. I always eat lamb (the meat of a small lamb:spring lamb) but no mutton whether in Tunisia or the Uk.
As for the way those animals are presented, hanged in front of the shops, I agree it is awful but one of those things. My English wife couldn't stand it either!
Have a nice one!