Tunisian Food

Scottochott

As usual Mr Google provides the answer, it is Indian, known as lizard fish. Was banned by EU but you can get in uk from a Birmingham supplier, via approved EU exporter! Interestingly available in Canada due to large Indian population.

It is a dried fish, but not like others described above, trust me if you had tried it you would remember, the smell is horrendous!

Neil

As usual Mr Google provides the answer, it is Indian, known as lizard fish. Was banned by EU but you can get in uk from a Birmingham supplier, via approved EU exporter! Interestingly available in Canada due to large Indian population.

It is a dried fish, but not like others described above, trust me if you had tried it you would remember, the smell is horrendous!
i dont want to import it though or buy a dozen cases lol just want some for when i get the munchies by the pool in Tunisia and yes it does pong pong pong

C

Cas

I like but don`t like if you get my drift..... in mind of certain barrels of "things" in Chinatown Vancouver....although mainly a great place to food shop.

Jane BM

sounds good to me:) so can get it in Tunisia then?
Yuk.....had this in Jamaica...part of their staple diet........gross for me im afraid!!:eek:

Trulymadlydeeply

Ackee and Salt fish is a Jamaican dish, my daughters Nan used to make it all the time, stinks to high heaven but cooked the right way is delicious :)

C

Cas

Yeh bit daunting, also in Portuguese cooking but I seem to remember they also caught and salted carp, so I suppose different peoples often salt down some sort of fish even we did in UK, awful strong tasting though, luckily we can now freeze or for a treat smoke.

KheeKhee

Ackee and Salt fish is a Jamaican dish, my daughters Nan used to make it all the time, stinks to high heaven but cooked the right way is delicious :)
yum yum ackee and saltfish, i can cook it the right way and it doesn't stink what you mean?:D

ROULLA

Hi Khee khee hope that you are well! I must admit that I cannot stand the smell of salt fish it turns my stomach just thinking about it..:)

KheeKhee

Hi Khee khee hope that you are well! I must admit that I cannot stand the smell of salt fish it turns my stomach just thinking about it..:)
Hi Roulla I am fine hope you are well, salt fish and ackee is so delicious add some onion, tomatoes, 'scotch bonnet' peppers and just a little rice or for me as i don't like rice... some 'Irish'... Jamaican patois meaning ... Irish potatoes, i can cook it for you and there is no smell really!:)

Scottochott

Mmm, memories of the Caribbean

huttan

Anyone tried fermented baltic herring?Or maybe its just something we just have here?Must be the only time I seen Jamie Oliver leaving a table running...and he has seen/tried many things I think....lol

Scottochott

Anyone tried fermented baltic herring?Or maybe its just something we just have here?Must be the only time I seen Jamie Oliver leaving a table running...and he has seen/tried many things I think....lol

Seen a few times on tv, I think it's an acquired taste! Would rather have fresh herring in oatmeal though!

Had great BBQ the other day: prawns, sea bass, and bream...salad, bread, bottle of rose...sorted

ROULLA

Hi Roulla I am fine hope you are well, salt fish and ackee is so delicious add some onion, tomatoes, 'scotch bonnet' peppers and just a little rice or for me as i don't like rice... some 'Irish'... Jamaican patois meaning ... Irish potatoes, i can cook it for you and there is no smell really!:)
Ok Khee khee if you cook it for me then I will try it:)

KheeKhee

Ok Khee khee if you cook it for me then I will try it:)
I can cook it for you and it will be genuine Jamaican ...you will love it! it reminds me so much of Tunisian cooking, of which I am not an expert...:)

huttan

Seen a few times on tv, I think it's an acquired taste! Would rather have fresh herring in oatmeal though!

Had great BBQ the other day: prawns, sea bass, and bream...salad, bread, bottle of rose...sorted
I have tried to eat but did spit it out...really the smell says no way in ***....the consistency is like jelly...think its forbidden to even open up a can if you live in an apartment. I cant eat it...my father liked it-dont get how anyone can eat it...

KheeKhee

I have tried to eat but did spit it out...really the smell says no way in ***....the consistency is like jelly...think its forbidden to even open up a can if you live in an apartment. I cant eat it...my father liked it-dont get how anyone can eat it...
not jelly for me...you mean pickled herring.... maybe Huttan? i love it...blame my Norwegian mother!:)