Tunisian Kitchen

bubbles

yeah we can but me & hubby both said if he eats any more chicken he's gonna look like one soon & I quite like the way he looks now :D will give it a go, I got 3 different flavoured couscous plain, tomato & onion & garlic & somethin lol just hope he likes it xx

Black Mamba

pre flavoured couscous?

bubbles

yes they have flavoured ones not that i have tried them so I am not to sure what they taste like! theres spice sensation, sundried tomato & onion and just plain well they the ones that i got today

crazypink

If they are the couscou
yes they have flavoured ones not that i have tried them so I am not to sure what they taste like! theres spice sensation, sundried tomato & onion and just plain well they the ones that i got today
s out of a packet that you put water on and leave for a few mins - they are not good lol and nothing like making couscous properly.

I get my couscous from Tesco and make it how hubby mum makes it. My daughter likes the packet stuff but it makes hubby sick!! lol

lainie

i love it with meat and spinach!

bubbles

I like couscous with beef. Hubby likes it with octopus. You could really make it with anything. Although I have never used any premade couscous before. We do all the spicing on our own here;)
octopus now that does sound nice!!! didnt make it last night as hubby had already cooked will try tonite

bubbles

If they are the couscou

s out of a packet that you put water on and leave for a few mins - they are not good lol and nothing like making couscous properly.

I get my couscous from Tesco and make it how hubby mum makes it. My daughter likes the packet stuff but it makes hubby sick!! lol
thats where i got mine from will prob try plain one & flavoured one and see which he likes best :)

crazypink

thats where i got mine from will prob try plain one & flavoured one and see which he likes best :)
As jamie says, the plain one we cook and flavour ourselves. My MIL taught me to make tunisian couscous. Takes over an hour to make properly.

The stuff in the packet is not good. Will be surprised if your hubby likes it lol. Good luck!!

bubbles

your right pre-flavoured not that nice i didnt even like lol oh well i know for next time :) x

Black Mamba

Mmmmm chorba with octopus!

Black Mamba

The secret to a good couscous is that you prepare it for steaming by adding some curcumin/ hot water and olive oil, the couscous should become yellowy and the grains should be separated, not stuck together if that makes sense!

I love making couscous with rose buds it gives it a special taste!

gabriel612

aaaagh whats going on.... every time I try to do a reply to roulla's post it just does not give me anywhere to write, can only post at the bottom of the page as a new post?????

I was going to say that all the talk of food has made me hungry and made me miss Tunisian food. I try making it here but it never tastes the same. I love dorade fish its my favourite, I love the tagine, I first had it at my hb's Uncles home in Kairouan, we went to visit his beautiful new home and his new wife and she put on a banquet for us. The tagine resembles a cake, all his family were looking at it strangely I wolfed it down, there was so much to choose from so I had to have some of everything, love the salata mechouia, home made harissa the hotter the better:):p Hubby taught me to make a sauce that we have with grilled meat or chicken, its fresh tomatoes fried in olive oil till they are very soft, then add a big spoon of tomato paste then garlic, corriander et carvi, salt, black pepper and pimente forte (hot paprika), you can also drop eggs in it too, hubby calls it megley??? it is very similar to the sauce that they have with maccarone, oh so delicious. I make it here all the time but the tomatoes just dont taste the same. My speciality is Brik, I make a mean brik. He has taught me how to scale and gut fish yuk, but I don't mind doing it now. Mil has shown me several times how to make couscous but for the life of me I can't make it it is always either clumpy or gritty and I love it so much:(

I made hubby a West African dish last time I was there called Chicken Yassa, it is made with mustard and quite hot, he said baby its not red lol. He ate it and loved it and told his Mum and sister how good it was. I also made him some soup from all the left over veggies we had and he loved that too. Ooooh I know what I will be doing tomorrow........I feel a cooking spree coming on.

gabriel612

The secret to a good couscous is that you prepare it for steaming by adding some curcumin/ hot water and olive oil, the couscous should become yellowy and the grains should be separated, not stuck together if that makes sense!

I love making couscous with rose buds it gives it a special taste!
BM what is circumin? do you mean cumin powdered??? is that the spice used when grilling fish??

S

suzanne

Curcumin is Tumeric!! can we have that recipe u were talking about chicken yassa please! thanx

gabriel612

Curcumin is Tumeric!! can we have that recipe u were talking about chicken yassa please! thanx
Here it is:

Chicken: Either breasts, thighs or cut up a full chicken, as much as you will need.
potatoes about 4 medium cut into 4
olive oil for frying
pitted green olives
1/2 scotch bonnet peppers optional
chopped fresh chives

Marinade: half a lrg jar of dijon or English mustard I prefer English mustard as it is hotter.
6 medium onions sliced thinly
2/3 cloves of garlic crushed
8 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

In a bowl mix all the marinade ingredients then add the onions and chives, add the chicken and potatoes and toss well making sure they are all coated. Leave in fridge for at least 2/3 hours, better if left to marinate overnight.

After the chicken and potato has marinated heat the olive oil in a big enough saucepan, then brown the chicken on both sides and then brown the potatoes, taking care not to get any onions in the pan as they will burn. Remove them and set aside. In the same pan saute the onion mixture for about 5 mins until starting to soften then add the chicken and potatoes followed by the juice left from the marinade, adding a little water if necessary but not too much, also add the hot peppers, now I only float the hot peppers on the top for flavour, if they get crushed when stirring it may be too hot, that depends on how hot you like your food.
Cover the pan and simmer for about 45 mins until the onions are soft and caramelised not mushy and potatoes still whole but soft. 5 mins before serving add the olives and any salt pepper needed. Serve with rice, I always use Basmati rice or you can use plain couscous.

There you go, enjoy.

S

suzanne

Good god!! all that mustard!!!! lol, well could give it a try but have no chives in tunisia unless anyone knows where i could find them!!?? thanks for recipe

gabriel612

Good god!! all that mustard!!!! lol, well could give it a try but have no chives in tunisia unless anyone knows where i could find them!!?? thanks for recipe
You don't need chives I never use them and I never use olives neither. they are optional.

lainie

would dried chives do?

gabriel612

would dried chives do?
I dont use them at all I suppose its just for a bit of colour, its in the recipe but don't think it matters. I suppose dried ones will do:D