Tunisian Kitchen

Trulymadlydeeply

Sounds great but I don't think I could look at it and eat it :oops:

ROULLA

You don't what you're missing TMD!
When done right and with lean cuts ofbeef, it is finger linking good!
It takes 4 to 5 hours to make but definitely worth the effort and the time.
Hi Rabah, hope that you and your family are all well!
I have to say that I will eat anything apart from meat, however,I remember years ago after coming back from a party and I was really tired and just wanted to go to sleep,anyway the door knocked and it was around 8 am and then someone shouted through the bedroom window HOUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:mad:
I opened the door thinking that someone must have died:(,I opened the door and there was this lady standing there with this bowl full of Mloukhia and I felt sick to the stomach with the smell ....:stop:
I'm just wondering if they serve this in prisons,:rolleyes: because if they do no wonder they go on hunger strikes.
I think that I could be starving and I still could not touch it.
Sorry Rabah;)

cinders

I have to say that I will eat anything apart from meat, however,I remember years ago after coming back from a party and I was really tired and just wanted to go to sleep,anyway the door knocked and it was around 8 am and then someone shouted through the bedroom window HOUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:mad:
I opened the door thinking that someone must have died:(,I opened the door and there was this lady standing there with this bowl full of Mloukhia and I felt sick to the stomach with the smell ....:stop:
I'm just wondering if they serve this in prisons,:rolleyes: because if they do no wonder they go on hunger strikes.
Sorry Rabah;)
hi Roulla
maybe hoummmmmm translates as hummmmming because of the smell ;)

rabah

Sorry Rabah;)
Hello Roulla and thank you for the good wishes and may you and your family be having the best of times.
The lady was shouting "koom koom..." meaning wake up...
Obviously showing up at 8:00 am with Mloukhia would not please anybody, let alone a tired person wanting to rest.
Having said that, I think you probably were hasty in deciding against Mloukhia. I'd say it is worth a revisit but it would have to be home-made.

Trulymadlydeeply

Well it's all round yours then Rabah ;)

Milk

After searching through this post, seeing all the yummy feed that I so dearly miss eating, I have finally found what I'm looking for however it doesn't have a recipe....does anybody have a recipe for "Mlawi"? I even searched the web and couldn't find anything.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Milk,

Try googling 'recette mlawi tunisiennes', there are many.

Here is step by step on you tube:

Milk

Thank you so much :)

Can you please translate into English? I tried through google translator but it didn't translate the words

Trulymadlydeeply

Ingredients
1 Kg
semolina
200 g
flour
1 packet
baking yeast
1.5 teaspoon
salt

Warm water (quantity sufficient to form the paste)
4 tablespoons
olive oil

oil

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together
Dilute with lukewarm water
Mix by adding warm water gradually
When you get a dough a little soft, add 4 tablespoons of oil
Knead strong and long
When the bleached pulp so it is kneaded sufficiently
Divide into balls the size you want and let it rest in an oiled dish
Flatten a ball, sprinkle with a good amount of oil

Fold 4
Flatten again and put in a pan slightly oiled
When the first side takes a golden color, turn and cook the other side

Milk

Thank you so very much. I'm very happy that the two of you gave me what I couldn't find. Now I am a happy camper :)

Question.. how come you use yeast if it's not a bread that is rising? Can you omit it?

DanniBibo

Hello everyone! Does anyone have a Chicken cous cous recipe they would care to share with me?
I am becoming rather the Tunisian chef at the moment but would love to perfect a cous cous dish especially to let my son try before we go out to Tunisia in May. We are going to stay with the in-laws and will be the first time my son who is now 18 months old, is meeting all of his lovely family out there! We have just been so busy with work, tests and visa things to get out there so VERY excited!!!! :D

ROULLA

What is your favourite dish?

Lovinglife

How to make
Tunisia bread ?

ROULLA

Morning everyone, Hope that you are all well! The best tabouna that I've ever tasted in Tunisia was made by some brothers who have a sandwich shop in Nabeul but they are originally from Jendouba.... They told me that it's their mother's recipe. I'd love to know how they make it.

Yara M

Morning everyone, Hope that you are all well! The best tabouna that I've ever tasted in Tunisia was made by some brothers who have a sandwich shop in Nabeul but they are originally from Jendouba.... They told me that it's their mother's recipe. I'd love to know how they make it.
Easiest way to make bread:
*1 kilo of semolina
*2 packets of yeast
*Little bit of sugar
*Little bit of salt
*Around 3 or 4 table spoons of olive oil
*Warm water

Put the semolina in a bowl then make a hole in the middle, inside of that hole put the yeast together with a little bit of sugar and warm water ( make sure the water is warm not too hot otherwise it will ruin the yeast). Add on the sides some salt and the olive oil and when you see that the yeast is ready mix the dough very well and add warm water until the dough is soft and not sticking in your hands ( if you put too much water you can add abit of flour it always helps). Cut the dough into round pieces. Put them rest on a flat surface and cover them( put a little bit of flour under them so they don't stick on the surface). You'll notice later that they got bigger. So take each round ball and make it flat with your hands ( use abit of flour if the dough sticks in your hands). then cook them one by one on a hot pan ( make sure that the pan is too hot before you put the dough )

you can make chappati with this bread by filling each with an omelette, harissa, cheese, tuna and salami or whatever you want to have in it

ROULLA

Easiest way to make bread:
*1 kilo of semolina
*2 packets of yeast
*Little bit of sugar
*Little bit of salt
*Around 3 or 4 table spoons of olive oil
*Warm water

Put the semolina in a bowl then make a hole in the middle, inside of that hole put the yeast together with a little bit of sugar and warm water ( make sure the water is warm not too hot otherwise it will ruin the yeast). Add on the sides some salt and the olive oil and when you see that the yeast is ready mix the dough very well and add warm water until the dough is soft and not sticking in your hands ( if you put too much water you can add abit of flour it always helps). Cut the dough into round pieces. Put them rest on a flat surface and cover them( put a little bit of flour under them so they don't stick on the surface). You'll notice later that they got bigger. So take each round ball and make it flat with your hands ( use abit of flour if the dough sticks in your hands). then cook them one by one on a hot pan ( make sure that the pan is too hot before you put the dough )

you can make chappati with this bread by filling each with an omelette, harissa, cheese, tuna and salami or whatever you want to have in it
Thank you Yara, I will try this as it sounds simple and sounds tasty. I will take a picture when I bake.

Yara M

Thank you Yara, I will try this as it sounds simple and sounds tasty. I will take a picture when I bake.[/QUOTE

No need to thank me. Mum made that bread earlier and it was so nice, I had it with olive oil.