Tunisian Romances

K

Kamantha

ohhh a whole street off t.com members whoowhoo

Jen

Yeah I'm thinking a Tunisian would be happier here, however I could never live in Tunisia permanently. I couldn't deal with being treated like a second class citizen, which i know would happen.

Also I don't know why people think we have a bad health service. I'm sorry but I know where I'd rather be if something were to happen to me. We take the NHS for granted and it is an amazing organisation, people always complain about waiting times and being unclean and yada yada, but if you are in dire need they get you sorted pronto.

Essem

Staff member
I would live permanently in Tunisia in a heart beat.

I've had occasion to visit Sahloul hospital and Clinique Les Oliviers and have been well looked after by both and in double quick time. I suppose everyone has their own experiences but mine have been positive.

Back in the UK, I rely on BUPA. At least it's one less off the waiting lists for NHS. I think it's probably better to have major stuff done in your own country, if at all possible, from the point of view of being near your family, etc.

Slightly off thread there

I would imagine that many Tunisians living in the UK do become very homesick - it has to be a tremendous culture shock for them too and also the pace at which we live life here.

selz

Yeah I'm thinking a Tunisian would be happier here, however I could never live in Tunisia permanently. I couldn't deal with being treated like a second class citizen, which i know would happen.

Also I don't know why people think we have a bad health service. I'm sorry but I know where I'd rather be if something were to happen to me. We take the NHS for granted and it is an amazing organisation, people always complain about waiting times and being unclean and yada yada, but if you are in dire need they get you sorted pronto.
I guess that can b individual opinion & what people have had done.

I know that if my dad didnt have 2 wait 2yrs on the nhs waitin list 4 a hip replacement a few yrs bk wen the time actually came he wud not of also needed a knee replacement which then ended up costin the nhs even more money!!!!
The hosp said that if he got in sooner he wudnt of needed the knee done it was the sheer strain that his knee then took over the 2yrs waitin...

3yrs later he needed it done again as it was still in such a bad state!!

Cathibou

In my experience you get what you pay for however I recently spent 24 hrs in the clinique Olivers with my sisiter in law when she was in labour, she was regularly examined as she progressed much more so than my experiences in the uk, although information wasn't readily given, once asked things were fully explained (all be it in arabic). I stayed with her over night once she had the baby I was fed and watered and wasn't charged any extra for being there. We could have had food brought in but on this ocassion what was provided was adequate. I think practises have developed over the years and have much improved many years ago my son cut his head open and required stitiches, we were again at clinique olivers and they were going to stitich it up without any local anethestic, oh oh didnt go down with me as a recent arrival in Tunisia until it was explained that most tunisians didnt have the money to pay for "extras" like anesthetic! I paid for the "extra"

Zazou

Hey, I'm new here, though some of you might know me from the chat? ;)

I'm Tunisian, but raised a bit all over the world. Maybe I can shed some light on this topic.

It all depends on where the person is from. Let's be honest, in Tunisia, there are different social classes. I've noticed one thing a lot... most of the people from the higher social strata have an easier time adapting to living in a foreign country.

It's because they go to better schools, are better educated and know more about the outside world. Most of them have been on vacation abroad at least once, and their lifestyle is more European.

The lower classes are more... attached, in a way, to their traditional lives. Most of them never left their little city or the country, they're taught only a wee bit of English and French, they only know that life. So the change of lifestyles is also a huge shock to them.

Tunisia is very very diverse in its people. I was browsing the site earlier and saw, for instance, recipes for some dishes, and the ones on the site are a lot, and I do mean a LOT, different from the ones we make at home. And my family has lived here for a gazillion generations.

So, in a way, it's true that where you come from shows you where you're going.

I, for one, would take England over Tunisia any day of the week. For me, it's a matter of personal freedom.

In Tunisia, everyone is always up in everyone's business. It's something that drives me nuts. Aunts and the Traditional Tunisian Grandmas always have a say in things that just are not their business.

I'm from a "top" family. And pretty much every move I make is reported, dissected, gossiped about. We're scrutinized, like live mice in a lab. And, it gets tiring.

So, I believe that it really depends on the person's background. Some would prefer living in the UK/other country, others want the comfort and safety of the place they always knew.

I hope that makes sense. :D

Essem

Staff member
Hi Zazou and welcome to the forum.

Do I detect a 'wee' bit of Scottishness in there?

Cathibou

Certainly makes sense Zazou, hello again bye the way missed you in chat earlier. I think the points you raise are valid in every developing country and not unique to Tunisia alone. I am interested in whether you intend to settle in Tunisia as probably your family expect or if you have plans to settle elsewhere.
Cathi

Zazou

Hi Zazou and welcome to the forum.

Do I detect a 'wee' bit of Scottishness in there?
Actually, none. I never went to Scotland, though, it is one of the places I want to go. I guess I picked up the 'wee' from a movie or TV show.

I guess you can say my English is international, I just soak in expressions, so it's all jumbled up. ;)

I am interested in whether you intend to settle in Tunisia as probably your family expect or if you have plans to settle elsewhere.
My family doesn't expect me to stay here. They know I'm too... liberal and independent. My plans right now aren't very clear though. Visas are harder and harder to get, and the world's economy isn't in a very pleasant place. So, if opportunity knocks, I'll definitely move to a place more suitable for me.

selz

Hey, I'm new here, though some of you might know me from the chat? ;)

I'm Tunisian, but raised a bit all over the world. Maybe I can shed some light on this topic.

It all depends on where the person is from. Let's be honest, in Tunisia, there are different social classes. I've noticed one thing a lot... most of the people from the higher social strata have an easier time adapting to living in a foreign country.

It's because they go to better schools, are better educated and know more about the outside world. Most of them have been on vacation abroad at least once, and their lifestyle is more European.

The lower classes are more... attached, in a way, to their traditional lives. Most of them never left their little city or the country, they're taught only a wee bit of English and French, they only know that life. So the change of lifestyles is also a huge shock to them.

Tunisia is very very diverse in its people. I was browsing the site earlier and saw, for instance, recipes for some dishes, and the ones on the site are a lot, and I do mean a LOT, different from the ones we make at home. And my family has lived here for a gazillion generations.

So, in a way, it's true that where you come from shows you where you're going.

I, for one, would take England over Tunisia any day of the week. For me, it's a matter of personal freedom.

In Tunisia, everyone is always up in everyone's business. It's something that drives me nuts. Aunts and the Traditional Tunisian Grandmas always have a say in things that just are not their business.

I'm from a "top" family. And pretty much every move I make is reported, dissected, gossiped about. We're scrutinized, like live mice in a lab. And, it gets tiring.

So, I believe that it really depends on the person's background. Some would prefer living in the UK/other country, others want the comfort and safety of the place they always knew.

I hope that makes sense. :D
Hi & welcome 2 the forum...hope u also find this site intrestin 2 read, as im sure most people on here will appreciate ur comments comin from sum1 experiencing it all 1st hand.
x

Trulymadlydeeply

Hi Zazou and welcome, I must say (and no insults are intended here) what a beautiful breath of fresh air to hear your views, straight from the horses mouth as they say!! You sound very well grounded and with a sensible head on your shoulders. Where abouts do you live at the moment?

caley

Hey Zazou!

Welcome!! I agree....its great to hear things from someone with actual living experience in tunisia!! Thanks for your comments!!

I reckon tho, if you want to come to england to get away from gossiping families and neighbours....then GOOD LUCK! lol..........everybody down my road knows what im doing, where im going, who we're going out with, what we're doing at the weekend. what time we crawl in at night......i wouldnt be surpised to find the old battle-axe opposite going through my rubbish bins on a wednesday night!! lol.

I think that anywhere u go, families will be families!! and big ones (i come from a big family) always have people that put their comments/opinions in when theyre not needed/asked for/taken notice of...

I have to say though, that your comments about no freedom have definately made me think!! Id hate to ever have my freedom infringed upon....

Jen

Caley, I think it depends where you live, and the kind of town - nothing like that happens where I am people have no time lol. They leave at stupid o'clock to commute to London and get home at stupid o'clock in the evening. I know my neigbours either side, a couple across the street because I accidentally rolled into their car this one time (lol woops) and a family where the girl went to the same school as me. That's literally it in my entire town!!! Nobody cares about anybody lol. But I kind of like it that way, I wouldn't want my neighbours knowing the ins and outs of my life, I don't even want my parents knowing everything!!

And Caley, whilst I completely agree with everything you find amicable about Tunisia, because I enjoy the pace of life so much more there myself, you're a very bright well educated young woman, and I really think you might find it hard to give up on a lot of that, especially if you say you doubt you will have much money. Looking at where Alex lives with his family, there is no way on earth I could ever be expected to conform to that, they're so lovely and friendly, but I have no idea how they survive. And I couldn't stay indoors by myself, or be chaperoned everywhere by a man, I'd want to be able to go where I please by myself, just as I can now.

Sorry to go off thread again, and Zazou welcome to the site!! xx

Scoobydoo

Hi Jenm

Im with you on this, and i am one of those that work in london, leave early get home late. I know one of my neighbours and that its....that suits me fine, i dont like everyone knowing my business and i am not interested in theirs - like you say i havent got time!!

I could not live there either, yes its sunny for longer and its a nice pace, but frankly that would drive me mad after a few weeks! Also, i get fed up of everyone staring at me, or trying to con me cos they think i am a stupid tourist (ie taxi men) or trying it on with me when i am out....and yeah i wanna be able to go where i want when i want etc...and whether people like it or not and want to admit to it, women are still seen out there as not equal to men....it may not be as prevelant in places like Tunis etc but even then its kind of thought but not spoken about.

Im not saying here is the most wonderful place in the world to live beacuse it isnt, i lived in the states for 7 years and while that was great i dont know i could live there forever either....but i would choose the western world anyday.

Jen

Nicola,

Have to say I completly agree. Whilst i love living here, I can't see my self settling here when I decide to have my own family. I actually wouldn't mind living in France - they seem to get a much better deal with life, through the government etc. They're given extra time off for honeymoon if they get married, get 25 days holiday as standard, are given extra days off randomly if they move and similar. They also work less hours because they've realised people are more productive when they work less... Oh and obviously healthcare over there is free too, and their education is great!!

Off thread again lol

I do think that Tunisians may move here with ideals, like 'the american dream' that a lot of people in south america have. They think it will be amazng but they're actually just left in the same rubbish they left, because like everyone has already said, they think we're richer or whatever, they actually don't take into account the cost of living is so much more <trying to get back on thread lol>

Cathibou

Nicola,

. Oh and obviously healthcare over there is free too, and their education is great!!

Off thread again lol

>
Actually healthcare in France isn't free as a british citizen you get 80% paid for but unless you have private insurance you pay for the rest.

Jen

Cathi, I actually meant becoming a french citizen and bringing children up there...

Damn that's a scary thought, having children lol

Cathibou

Cathi, I actually meant becoming a french citizen and bringing children up there...

Damn that's a scary thought, having children lol
Do you want to borrow mine to try them out lol !

caley

hahaha....Yeah but if you live in france you gotta live with french people!! ;)

Hahahaha.......JOKE!! I love france really.....gorgeous country!

Jen, i hear what your saying, and i used to think that because i was (as you say) a bright young woman, i would find it hard changing.....but i lived in Asia for almost 9 months and i actually had a full time job in Cambodia and it was a VERY basic life, i lived on next to nothing......and its also quite a ***ist place over there, so much more so that any place ive ever been, but it didnt matter, because everyday, i got to wake up with the sun, chuck on a tshirt and some shorts, get on my moped and zip off to work for 7 hours, then id come home and it'd still be baking hot, so we'd have some food and then go to the beach, or go fishing, or just relax and go into the little town...and it was such an amazing pace of life. It was the same when i was in Israel.......it sounds like it would be a very strict country, and it is, Islam is law over there, but i loved every minute of my life there.....all the shops were open until at least midnight.....people are easy going and friendly......cafes stay open for as long as there are people in them.......little things like this.

It doesnt matter where i live, i will always have my brain and use my intelligence, nobody can ever take that away from me. Its just that when i look at our country, and i look at the elderly here and the pace of life here and i look at how many people i know who are truly happy and truly content with their lives........its frightening. My dads a doctor and so is his dad and my mum is a legal advisor....they are both in their late 40's and both very educated and they both say to me 'if we had our time again caley, we wouldnt have settled here' .....my grandad, who is an italian.......is always 'cursing the day i set foot on this island'....lol......I want something different for my life. I'm not into fast-paced, city girl life, working all the hours god sends so i can buy handbags from Prada instead of Primark.....and go out every weekend in a new pair of shoes......i truly believe there is more to my life than this and im not saying everyone in england is this way, ofcourse theyre not, but i am saying that this is what this country is all about 'what we have' 'possessions' 'new cars' ' 3 grand leather sofas'....jesus.....i wonder how many sofas you buy in tunisia for 3 grand!! haha

arabchique

I hear you, caley ... my mum and aunt were born in Africa ... the lifestyle has never left them ... and I spent the first 4 years of my life there ... I feel so at home when I'm there ... can't be doing with all this need for materialistic things ...

I wanna go live in Africa again ... lol

:D

xx