Visa Knowledge and Experience

daffodil

Agreed.....but HOW can they claim 2 different disability related benefits at the same time? Surely it's one or the other?[/qu

This is the very reason many people scam the benefit system cos they are better off than you and me...

My council tax is 40 pound a week this would be paid if i were on benefit likewise so would my rent if i had any to pay plus a few hundred pound a week if i work on top !!

Jane BM

I think they're trying really hard to address it right now, whilst having to walk on eggshells..:rolleyes: And not offend those not in work!

Again, there's always going to be 2 very differing camps on this. Those that do, and those that don't!

I don't begrudge anyone using our welfare system in a time of need, not so keen on it being used as an 'earnings calculation' though.

daffodil

I agree....

There are people trying their best to work really hard to meet the earnings threshold...it's not fair at all .....

How can it be right that benefits are considered adequate to keep someone on settlement BUT earnings of 18,500 are required if you work......???

debstyler

So how can someone claim both ESA and DLA? If they're both disability related? Confused. Com...
If you think that's confusing did you know that someone on high rate DLA can also claim carers allowance to look after someone else!!

Jane BM

If you think that's confusing did you know that someone on high rate DLA can also claim carers allowance to look after someone else!!
Don't.........it's just laughable really!!

daffodil

Im not laughing :mad:..

Like i say this country has gone mad !!!

Burton

Thanks TMD...I dont claim benefits but try to read as much as i can...Was it Universal Credit that replaced Income Support?

I think it is madness you are able to work if claiming the higher rates of benefit like this..I think they get rent and council tax paid too so are often better off than anyone in work...

How then can they justify paying someone just 70 pound a week jobseekers?? They are not allowed to earn extra are they?? I dont know but all seems a bit mad to me...
JSA is only if you are actively looking for work, the active is the most important here, if you do not actively look for work and prove it, you are NOT entitled to and will not receive JSA.

lovesarrow

Does any of this count as advice / experience with visas?? Maybe we should have a separate benefits thread?

I'm looking for advice on how to apply for a visa for my OH if I'm freelance and earn under £18,600. (Or alternatives.)

Jane BM

Does any of this count as advice / experience with visas?? Maybe we should have a separate benefits thread?

I'm looking for advice on how to apply for a visa for my OH if I'm freelance and earn under £18,600. (Or alternatives.)
If you're earning less than £18,600 Lovesarrow then you're not eligible unless you receive DLA/carers allowance. That's how it stands at the moment.

lovesarrow

I heard that it is possible to both spend time (3 months +) in another EU country (as long as I am working) and then through mobility laws we could both come back to the UK as long as we're married. Anyone heard of that?

Trulymadlydeeply

EU route, freedom of movement. Yes it can be done and by passes the earnings rule!!!

Jane BM

I heard that it is possible to both spend time (3 months +) in another EU country (as long as I am working) and then through mobility laws we could both come back to the UK as long as we're married. Anyone heard of that?
It's called the Surinder Singh route more commonly and yes in theory it's a way of bypassing the earnings and other criteria.

lovesarrow

Do you know anyone who has tried it?

Trulymadlydeeply

I don't personally I'm afraid. There is a thread all about it on here I will try and find the link although it maybe a bit outdated.

Jane BM

Do you know anyone who has tried it?
Fair few have done it. Not only do you need to live and work in another EU state they've now added that you have to prove 'centre of life' is in the EU state....

lovesarrow

Fair few have done it. Not only do you need to live and work in another EU state they've now added that you have to prove 'centre of life' is in the EU state....
Thanks Jane :) I googled "Surinder Singh route" and came up with this. It isn't very clear about the "centre of life" test. It would appear that the new case law makes that test unlawful, but they advise trying to fulfill it anyway since the UK will still take it into consideration.

I also found this which is very interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195

Truly - I'd love to see that thread if you can find it :)

Jane BM

Thanks Jane :) I googled "Surinder Singh route" and came up with this. It isn't very clear about the "centre of life" test. It would appear that the new case law makes that test unlawful, but they advise trying to fulfill it anyway since the UK will still take it into consideration.

I also found this which is very interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195

Truly - I'd love to see that thread if you can find it :)
No it isn't very clear about the 'centre of life', don't imagine they'll ever make it black and white, that's the whole point....lol...it's a very grey area, ie, how to prove that your life now revolves around your life in your adopted EU state....

daffodil

I think they are looking at the facts more..eg have you sold up all your property in the UK.........

Also it is 6 months you need to be in Europe ........

Not such an easy route anymore

Jane BM

I think they are looking at the facts more..eg have you sold up all your property in the UK.........

You only need to be working there (the EU person) for 3 months plus one day...that's according to the EU freedom of movements FB sites and people who are currently doing it.

Jane BM

And no I totally agree, it's getting a more difficult route by the day! I think the 'centre of life' grey area is just the start....lol