Visa: Spending in UK

Waqar

Does Tunisia have bank cards (like Visa) that can be used in Europe- my wife has savings in Tunisia but hasnt touched or visited Tunisia in 5 years- she wants to know if she can use apply for a Tunisian card to withdraw /spend money in the UK without incurring any costs such as making bill payments here , eating out etc if so what is the best bank to use and what is the best card to have

Tunisianbelle

There are international Credit Cards. She would need to apply at the bank, and show proof that she would have use for that type of card (they are not given to everyone) such as by living outside of the country.

However, I would not advise her to use it as a normal credit card. She would have to keep in mind that she would incur many fees for using it outside of the country. She will get charged a fee every time she uses it at an ATM that is not her Tunisian bank, or uses it to pay for something at a store, restaurant, etc. She will also get charged a fee each and every time she uses it to change the Tunisian dinar into local currency where she is at. So for example, something that would normally cost £5 could easily wind up costing her double that after all the fees are piled on.

If she wants a bank card, and you live out of country, she should apply for one where you live so she is not incurring all the extra charges which will make her money disappear faster.

MellieC

Does Tunisia have bank cards (like Visa) that can be used in Europe- my wife has savings in Tunisia but hasnt touched or visited Tunisia in 5 years- she wants to know if she can use apply for a Tunisian card to withdraw /spend money in the UK without incurring any costs such as making bill payments here , eating out etc if so what is the best bank to use and what is the best card to have
is the money even still there?

I have a mastercard from a tunisian bank but its not valid outside of tunisia, they seem to be usually issed to "business" people who travel but mainly bank in tunisia.

it might be worth contacting the bank in tunisia to see what they say about withdrawing/transfering the funds.

gem15

My parents have an international Visa card and can be used anywhere. They have a account with the ABC Bank in Sousse.

Waqar

My parents have an international Visa card and can be used anywhere. They have a account with the ABC Bank in Sousse.
So if I open an account with the ABC Bank and get an international visa card - am I free to spend in the UK- is there a limit to the amount I can spend etc? Thanks