visiting uk

jo2012

Hi can som1 let me know if my bil who recently moved to Sweden after getting married to a Swedish girl would need a particular visa to visit us in the UK or of his current visa is sufficient.
Thanks

Reba1986

Hi can som1 let me know if my bil who recently moved to Sweden after getting married to a Swedish girl would need a particular visa to visit us in the UK or of his current visa is sufficient.
Thanks

Hello, no his current visa wont be any use for the UK, he will need to apply for another visa to visit the UK but I think they are quite difficult to get approved.

Jane BM

Thanks
If he's now got a settlement visa for Sweden and is living there then there's no reason why he can't apply for a visitors visa to the UK. I wouldn't imagine it's as difficult as getting a visa direct from Tunisia for here.

jo2012

Hmm i dont really want to be hassled with giving docs for him to do his visa was hoping there was a way he could apply for a tourist visa or something. So tired of visaaas lol

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I would have thought as the spouse of a EU national he would be able to have a visa infact it would be most likely to be approved.

Do they still do EU permits and things? At one time if you have a marriage certificate and a eu spouse with you they where unable to deny you passage due to something like article 8.

When I apply for Shengen visas for my wife they approve them immediately so I assume its a right of some form to be allowed them.

Jane BM

I would have thought as the spouse of a EU national he would be able to have a visa infact it would be most likely to be approved.

Do they still do EU permits and things? At one time if you have a marriage certificate and a eu spouse with you they where unable to deny you passage due to something like article 8.

When I apply for Shengen visas for my wife they approve them immediately so I assume its a right of some form to be allowed them.
The UK isn't a Schengen country though so can't have one for here from Sweden, so it'd be a tourist visa.

Jane BM

Hmm i dont really want to be hassled with giving docs for him to do his visa was hoping there was a way he could apply for a tourist visa or something. So tired of visaaas lol
If he's got settlement though for Sweden HOPEFULLY it wouldn't be tooooo stressful....lol. I do know where you're coming from though with the paperwork...:rolleyes:

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
The UK isn't a Schengen country though so can't have one for here from Sweden, so it'd be a tourist visa.
I know that what I am getting is that EU states allow the free movement of people and their families.

Ergo I get a Schengen for my wife and vice versa for the person the EU applying for the UK equivalent in return.

Jane BM

I know that what I am getting is that EU states allow the free movement of people and their families.

Ergo I get a Schengen for my wife and vice versa for the person the EU applying for the UK equivalent in return.
They'd need to come armed with the directive!!

Jane BM

What would be the point then Kris of applying for a Schengen to go to another EU country? Surely by what you've said, if you're accompanying your EU spouse you can just implement your rights under the EU freedom of movement?

daffodil

AS jojo's bil is married to a Swedish citizen, then she is ok to come here and her husband can accompany her without the need for a visa.....

Burton

AS jojo's bil is married to a Swedish citizen, then she is ok to come here and her husband can accompany her without the need for a visa.....
I agree, it is freedom of movement without the need for a a visa.

Jane BM

So why do people apply for Schengen visas for their spouses (in the EU I mean)...confused!

I know someone who's husband was here under a settlement and they went to Dublin for a holiday, she had to get him a tourist visa as like the UK it's not a schengan country. Also (I'm on a roll now...lol), why do people here in the UK with their non EU spouses apply for schengan visas if say they're going on holiday to France with them? Surely then they don't need it? And can travel under the Freedom of movement, by what you've said.

Or am I missing something? Don't get it...

Burton

So why do people apply for Schengen visas for their spouses (in the EU I mean)...confused!

I know someone who's husband was here under a settlement and they went to Dublin for a holiday, she had to get him a tourist visa as like the UK it's not a schengan country. Also (I'm on a roll now...lol), why do people here in the UK with their non EU spouses apply for schengan visas if say they're going on holiday to France with them? Surely then they don't need it? And can travel under the Freedom of movement, by what you've said.

Or am I missing something? Don't get it...
Lol it's so complicated. If a non EU marries an EU then that person has(the non EU) a right of freedom of movement within the EU. If the non enters the UK they must have ILR.

missmetal

I had a Visa to live and work in the UK and I had to apply for a Schengen Visa to travel to the Schengen states, but I was not married at the time and after i was married, i never went with my hubby again. Perhaps its different when you are travelling alongside your EU husband or wife.

Jane BM

Lol it's so complicated. If a non EU marries an EU then that person has(the non EU) a right of freedom of movement within the EU. If the non enters the UK they must have ILR.
Yep I know a bit about freedom of movement, but that's for residing in another country in the EU what you've stated, which is different to holidaying somewhere. Also to do that they do actually have to still fulfil a 'criteria' as they're clamping down...ie, they have to 'prove' centre of life in the host country.

Whereas what's being talked about above is entering a country in the EU as a tourist.....

So yep.......complicated......lol

Burton

I had a Visa to live and work in the UK and I had to apply for a Schengen Visa to travel to the Schengen states, but I was not married at the time and after i was married, i never went with my hubby again. Perhaps its different when you are travelling alongside your EU husband or wife.
It would have been the same for you missmetal. Your hubby would have maybe had a problem, depends on the situation.

Trulymadlydeeply

A law unto itself..!!! Did you all know that when returning from your hols to the Uk hubby can come through with you rather than "other passports" as long as you are travelling together..

Jane BM

Well Kris has mentioned above that he's applied for schengan visas for his wife...and as far as I'm aware if I was to travel to another country either EU/schengan I'd need to apply for a schengan for husband.

missmetal

It would have been the same for you missmetal. Your hubby would have maybe had a problem, depends on the situation.
Actually my partner in the UK was british. So when we married, i never assume i could still go to the EU without a schengen visa. But I think some schengen states let you travel without on if you're EU partner is with you

Sorry I should have been clearer, it was my first hubby :)