visiting uk

Burton

Actually my partner in the UK was british. So when we married, i never assume i could still go to the EU without a schengen visa. But I think some schengen states let you travel without on if you're EU partner is with you
If your partner has a British passport no probs. Or do you not have a British passport? Just thinking.

missmetal

Ya, sorry those that know me, know that i was the immigrant to the UK many yrs ago and married a Brit, so I was speaking from the perspective of me having to get the schengen for myself. Sorry should have been clearer :)
If your partner has a British passport no probs.

Burton

Ya, sorry those that know me, know that i was the immigrant to the UK many yrs ago and married a Brit, so I was speaking from the perspective of me having to get the schengen for myself. Sorry should have been clearer :)
OK so do you have British citizenship and a British passport, sorry personal questions.

Burton

If you are British Citizen married to a Tunisian then you must apply for a Visa and eventually apply Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR). If you are German for example (or any other EU country) and you marry a Tunisian and you both wish to live in the UK, you do not need to apply for a Visa.

missmetal

If you are British Citizen married to a Tunisian then you must apply for a Visa and eventually apply Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR). If you are German for example (or any other EU country) and you marry a Tunisian and you both wish to live in the UK, you do not need to apply for a Visa.
Oh ya, when we've visited the UK last year he had a tourist Visa. Im Canadian now too and my hubby is sponsored in Canada :)

Burton

A law unto itself..!!! Did you all know that when returning from your hols to the Uk hubby can come through with you rather than "other passports" as long as you are travelling together..
So why do you keep returning to Tunisia? just wondering.

Burton

Oh ya, when we've visited the UK last year he had a tourist Visa. Im Canadian now too and my hubby is sponsored in Canada :)
OMG that's getting complicated lol! actually it's much easier for anyone outside of the UK who is married to a non UK, believe it or not. It's much easer for an example a Tunisian man married to a Swedish woman to enter the UK than it is for a Tunisian man married to a UK woman(born) to enter the UK. Go figure?

Burton

Yep I know a bit about freedom of movement, but that's for residing in another country in the EU what you've stated, which is different to holidaying somewhere. Also to do that they do actually have to still fulfil a 'criteria' as they're clamping down...ie, they have to 'prove' centre of life in the host country.

Whereas what's being talked about above is entering a country in the EU as a tourist.....

So yep.......complicated......lol
If you are married to someone in the EU and you are a UK resident it still possible to holiday outside the UK. If you are married to someone outside of the UK and you and your spouse 'live' outside the UK then you and your spouse have freedom of movement within the any EU country.

ROULLA

So why do you keep returning to Tunisia? just wondering.
Welcome to the forum Burton! So what's your story, do you have a Tunisian partner ?

Burton

Welcome to the forum Burton! So what's your story, do you have a Tunisian partner ?
Thank you for the welcome Roulla. No I don't have a Tunisian partner. LOL I've visited Tunisia many, many times over the years, I've seen so much of this wonderful country, it's so quiet and peaceful, lol no fish and chips, no British thugs, no pressure, just calm and peace. Do you have a Tunisian partner Roulla?

ROULLA

Thank you for the welcome Roulla. No I don't have a Tunisian partner. LOL I've visited Tunisia many, many times over the years, I've seen so much of this wonderful country, it's so quiet and peaceful, lol no fish and chips, no British thugs, no pressure, just calm and peace. Do you have a Tunisian partner Roulla?
There might not be any British thugs as you so put it but they do like a drink or two in Tunisia as well and they can also turn nasty. As for the fish and chips I am surprised no one ever thought of opening one and yes I am married to a Tunisian man.
As for the calm and peace, lets hope that it does become more peaceful .

Jane BM

In theory you are right. However as I said above it's not quite as clear cut as this now....there is criteria to fulfil in the host country. It is a loophole in the EU law though, and many are taking advantage of it right now. (They also don't have to pay an application fee, take an English course or study for the LITUK, and have recourse to public funds!).

If you have a spare few hours and want to understand it, you should look up Surinder Singh route....(also if you want to lose the will to live...lol).

However the situation above isn't about an EU migrant and NON EU spouse relocating to another EU country. It's about a Swedish person and their non EU spouse who resides in Sweden coming to the UK as a tourist. So my point remains....what is the point of people applying for Schengen visas for their spouses if they don't need a visa ? And people do...as Kris has mentioned above, he does for his wife, I was under the impression I needed to for my husband and I know many people who have.

jo2012

Why am i not surprised its easier & cheaper for an EU person and their non EU spouse to come to the UK than a British & non EU!
My hubbys mate got rejected for schenegan visa to go to France for a holi with his British wife! Very odd as this is supposed to b a formalit.
And apparently altho u can go with ur non british spouse together in airport passport control they have right non to check theirs and may direct them to non eu/british queue...okkkk

daffodil

The freedom of movement act does allow a European citizen the right to take a holiday anywhere within Europe, with no need for a tourist visa......It is also the Europeans right have their non European spouse accompany them .....

Although most people do apply for a Shengen visa to holiday it is in fact not ness..but easier to pass through the control, as unfortunately most border control staff do not know the law themselves....

daffodil

Also it is true that your non eu spouse will be askd to join the non eu/british queue, even though this is not ness if he or she is with you and you are a British citizen..like i said in my earlier post, the staff just do NOT know the general rules..and most people dont have the articles with them to quote, or indeed the stomach for a confrontation with officials...

Jane BM

Why am i not surprised its easier & cheaper for an EU person and their non EU spouse to come to the UK than a British & non EU!
My hubbys mate got rejected for schenegan visa to go to France for a holi with his British wife! Very odd as this is supposed to b a formalit.
And apparently altho u can go with ur non british spouse together in airport passport control they have right non to check theirs and may direct them to non eu/british queue...okkkk
Very odd indeed he got refused as it is a formality...the French are also renowned for giving them...lol...apparently the Spanish are the nightmares!! What was their reason for refusal?

Jane BM

Daff is right re no visa being required. I've spent a little while going through the EU freedom of movement...:banghead::sour:...however it is strongly advised that where a visa can be issued that it is requested, firstly because your transit through the port of entry will run much smoother and faster. As mentioned, some border officials don't know the relevant laws, or rather they do, but choose to be ignorant to them...they CAN refuse, and yes whilst you can stay and argue the toss till kingdom come and throw all the directives at them, be prepared for a long wait.

However, from reading up on it a little, you CAN be turned away by the airline if you're flying somewhere without the necessary visa.....now once a flight is missed, that's your flight missed. Is it worth it?

daffodil

Yes the airline is the tricky one.....

Even when the Tunisian spouse leaves Tunisia for the first time they try to extract the exit fee from him/her.....this is not payable providing they have the marriage cert on them..even so many officials will try to make a big deal out of it and make the whole experience uncomfortable..

Jane BM

Yes the airline is the tricky one.....

Even when the Tunisian spouse leaves Tunisia for the first time they try to extract the exit fee from him/her.....this is not payable providing they have the marriage cert on them..even so many officials will try to make a big deal out of it and make the whole experience uncomfortable..
Ah yes, that's a wonderful little sideline they have....:rolleyes: