visitor visa reply

missmetal

Well surprise, surprise, intent to return He earns 750 TD per month and the ECO would not accept that he would spend £700 on a 10 day trip. That figure included the flight. I was accommodating and feeding him and he wanted some spending money. He answered the application question honestly. The icing on the cake is that he has a good sum in the bank as supported by a bank statement which has not been mentioned in the decision. Also it says that his spouse is in the UK and he has no ties in Tunisia which again is incorrect as documented with Family details.
It could well appear as if the decision was made backwards if you get my drift. Anyway I am now in the process of applying for a Managers review.
Well, despite the bank account, they probably know it cant be accessed from the UK, like to draw out cash. Not sure. But when I applied for my hubby to visit the UK, we were there for 3 days and he had more 100 GBP per day. They will want to look at his daily and they probably estimate 100 a day. It should not have included his flight, that should have been separate because they dont know that he paid for hit himself. The way I see it they probably thought you're paying for it all, so he wont really want to leave. A visitors visa is almost always refused from within that country especially when his 'family ties' are in the UK and not tunisia, in their eyes...his wife is british.

kassie

.....and we believe it is to be judged on each case...individual merit! :bag:

.....and we believe it is to be judged on each case...individual merit! :bag:
I have now printed out the original application form it is quite clear we have separated the flight from spending money. Thanks for everybody's support.
I have done some reading on the UKVI website and the Chief Inspectors report from last year makes interesting reading in so far as stating that some refusals should not have occurred and the review conversion rate is quite large as well.
Obviously the full right of appeal has been rescinded but it still remains on Human Rights grounds, the UKVI suggest it is a better system where the refused applicant applies again. Of course in their refusal letter they don't suggest that the application fee is too high or an indicator of excessive cost for a weeks holiday do they!
Unless I turn up with a crystal ball or some tea leaves how do you ever prove intent to return. My plan of action is to seek a review as many of the submitted documents appear to have been disregarded and information on the application form not considered.
I accept that this process must be adhered too however their decisions seem akin to a standard response and in all honesty worthy of a place on the fiction shelf at my local library.

I have now printed out the original application form it is quite clear we have separated the flight from spending money. Thanks for everybody's support.
I have done some reading on the UKVI website and the Chief Inspectors report from last year makes interesting reading in so far as stating that some refusals should not have occurred and the review conversion rate is quite large as well.
Obviously the full right of appeal has been rescinded but it still remains on Human Rights grounds, the UKVI suggest it is a better system where the refused applicant applies again. Of course in their refusal letter they don't suggest that the application fee is too high or an indicator of excessive cost for a weeks holiday do they!
Unless I turn up with a crystal ball or some tea leaves how do you ever prove intent to return. My plan of action is to seek a review as many of the submitted documents appear to have been disregarded and information on the application form not considered.
I accept that this process must be adhered too however their decisions seem akin to a standard response and in all honesty worthy of a place on the fiction shelf at my local library.

Also I nearly forget to mention. The refusal decision was dated 18/2/2014 which was 7 days after submission and one month before return. So they have kept my Son-in-law waiting one month to inform him of the refusal.

Jane BM

Also I nearly forget to mention. The refusal decision was dated 18/2/2014 which was 7 days after submission and one month before return. So they have kept my Son-in-law waiting one month to inform him of the refusal.
It isn't unusual for their decisions to sit gathering dust on someone's desk for what seems an eternity. We've many members who's husbands settlement visas have had the same fate. Instead of waiting just a few weeks, it's been months and months.

That's the problem, there is no hard and fast way of proving 'intent to return'....how MM has explained above is how ideally it should be approached. However there's no doubt they don't like giving VV's to spouses. Very few are successful.

mrsmannai

Unfortunately as feared the answer was no. I am awaiting an e-mail containing the refusal letter/reasons so I will know more then. Obviously I was being overly optimistic so now I will have to regroup so to speak
sorry to hear about the refusal, but not surprised. hang in there n give it another go;)

missmetal

I think it's a cash grab situation for the UKVI over there. The VV fund the whole operation so the more they refuse the more money they make with retries....just my opinion. It's not worth it in the end. I reckon the few ways it's successful is for Tunisian family to visit Tunisian family, OR you and your spouse travel together but don't live in the UK...and really wealthy Tunisians who don't need support from any British folk. Good luck with your HR appeal. Let us know your progress.

I think it's a cash grab situation for the UKVI over there. The VV fund the whole operation so the more they refuse the more money they make with retries....just my opinion. It's not worth it in the end. I reckon the few ways it's successful is for Tunisian family to visit Tunisian family, OR you and your spouse travel together but don't live in the UK...and really wealthy Tunisians who don't need support from any British folk. Good luck with your HR appeal. Let us know your progress.
Thanks for all your best wishes. I intend pursuing this application via an appeal or review or both. I will keep the forum updated.

Thanks for all your best wishes. I intend pursuing this application via an appeal or review or both. I will keep the forum updated.
I have secured an appointment with my MP for Monday afternoon. I have discovered that they are entitled to request a review of the refusal decision, so on we go.

Jane BM

I have secured an appointment with my MP for Monday afternoon. I have discovered that they are entitled to request a review of the refusal decision, so on we go.
Always good to involve your MP if you can...especially if as you've said, you supplied all that was necessary for the application. They have to explain to him/her now why they think the refusal was warranted...could be interesting or could be the quickest refusal overturned!!

Good info though that your MP can request this.....

Always good to involve your MP if you can...especially if as you've said, you supplied all that was necessary for the application. They have to explain to him/her now why they think the refusal was warranted...could be interesting or could be the quickest refusal overturned!!

Good info though that your MP can request this.....
Never say never! I discovered a briefing paper for MPs from the relevant committee in the House of Commons. Basically when the Act was being debated which included the section stopping a full right of appeal for VV applicants, many arguments were raised by MPs and immigration consultants. One of the concerns was that even though an applicant could submit a fresh application a previous refusal would be held against them. The relevant Minister stated that this would not be the case. Also the right of an MP to request a review is written into the document 11 pages in length.
As my forum title suggests I am busy later today, of course as I am in the UK the bit relating to the sun looks uncertain later on. However I will post the link for the document later, for everybody to read. Lastly the refusal letter mentions about intent to return or make successive or frequent visits. Who is determining how that is defined, so even if approved this time is another request next year too frequent for UKVI?

Jane BM

Never say never! I discovered a briefing paper for MPs from the relevant committee in the House of Commons. Basically when the Act was being debated which included the section stopping a full right of appeal for VV applicants, many arguments were raised by MPs and immigration consultants. One of the concerns was that even though an applicant could submit a fresh application a previous refusal would be held against them. The relevant Minister stated that this would not be the case. Also the right of an MP to request a review is written into the document 11 pages in length.
As my forum title suggests I am busy later today, of course as I am in the UK the bit relating to the sun looks uncertain later on. However I will post the link for the document later, for everybody to read. Lastly the refusal letter mentions about intent to return or make successive or frequent visits. Who is determining how that is defined, so even if approved this time is another request next year too frequent for UKVI?
That's the whole thing though, NOTHING is black and white with them, everything is open to interpretation and incredibly ambiguous.

If you can get this overturned, which hopefully with your MP involved now that'll be the case, and assuming your son in law adheres to the terms of his visa and subsequently returns to Tunisia, then I'd imagine any subsequent applications will be viewed more favourably. Historically, that seems to be the case. Unless it is written in black and white that he cannot reapply for another visa unless 'x' amount of period of time has elapsed, then there's no reason why he couldn't do the same next year.

They will never make it easy though.....it's just not in their remit!!

For someone who is able to use words such as ambiguous here is a little light reading!

Attachments

Mezoo

VIP Member
For someone who is able to use words such as ambiguous here is a little light reading!
the ignorance of government fully on display here... our public servants are bad, yours are just terrible. what a bunch of double speak. that said, the denials out of the Tunisian embassy for both the us and uk are generally, in my opinion, absolutely right on the money. golfinthesun, married or not I'd like to hear 10 years from now if they are still together. I highly doubt it, that's just the odds being married to a Tunisian as a western person. as for going to live in Tunisia, even worse chance for that to succeed...sorry and good luck. :). john

p.s. as far as money in the bank, if that's found to have been "recently deposited" vice "deposited over time" it is seen and will not count.

Essem

Staff member
Well, hopefully, this marriage will be one of the ones that survive.

The married couples I know who have opted to live in Tunisia seem to fare better than those who live outside.

Perhaps, it's a certain type of woman who can adapt to living in Tunisia; maybe it's the type of partner they have chosen eg professional/ business owners etc not animation/bezness etc; not sure what their secret is.

True about the lump sums - that has been being scrutinised for years now.

Well, hopefully, this marriage will be one of the ones that survive.

The married couples I know who have opted to live in Tunisia seem to fare better than those who live outside.

Perhaps, it's a certain type of woman who can adapt to living in Tunisia; maybe it's the type of partner they have chosen eg professional/ business owners etc not animation/bezness etc; not sure what their secret is.

True about the lump sums - that has been being scrutinised for years now.
As a father-in-law I am disappointed about your prediction for my Daughters marriage lasting. Of course as in the UK the divorce rates are substantial, however from what I have seen family values are still strong in Tunisia. From what I have read the lump sum issue should not come into it for a visitor visa. The application form allows a sponsor or third party to assist in funding a visit. I am surely allowed to financially assist my Son-in-law to visit his new family in the UK if not then why ask for my payslips as a Sponsor. I understand for settlement visas the situation is different.

Essem

Staff member
Not a prediction GITS, was more answering Mezoo's post. I thought I was being positive about it.

Having said that, over the years here on t.com we have seen more failed marriages/relationships than successful ones between couples who decided to live in the UK.

Trulymadlydeeply

I agree Essem, the key is an "educated" Tunisian :oops::rolleyes: