Visitor's Visa

SJK

It's good that you're thinking about plan B IF he doesn't get his settlement visa in the future, but remember its a little more cut and dried now as far as the regulations on earnings are concerned, so if you earn over £18,600 AND you can prove the rest, ie genuine relationship etc, which I'm sure you can, then there's a very strong case for it to be granted.

As far as your current situation, everything you can throw at them for sure will help....no it's not ideal to have to just drop everything every month and go!! But unfortunately it's what a lot of us did have to do if we wanted to be with them. You are absolutely doing the right and sensible thing in trying to get him a VV first so that he can get to know your family and you've got some serious time together before you commit to marriage. Shame really the UKBA can't see that....

Is there no way his employers can write to say that he will be recommending work when he gets back? Does he rent anywhere there that has a rental agreement or something?

No he doesn't rent as he's still at the family home and no one is willing to help him. Would a letter from his father explaining his grandmother's ill health and the fact he cares for her help do you think?

SJK

Oh and yes I earn more than £18,600 now

Jasmine

SJK

Maybe not an ideal for you - but appeal the refusal. Yes its a long wait - but at least you can explain verbally why you think the reasons for refusal are wrong. Also, it will somewhat keep the peace for just "dropping everything" and give you both something to focus on whilst you are apart.

Jane BM

No he doesn't rent as he's still at the family home and no one is willing to help him. Would a letter from his father explaining his grandmother's ill health and the fact he cares for her help do you think?
It can't hurt, but I think more important really is the work front for him, you need something that reassures them that he'll be returning to Tunisia....

SJK

Wouldn't it be better to start again and reapply? They put at the bottom we could appeal but only if we thought the judgement was unlawful or against his human rights. Which it wasn't. I'm willing to go back over there if we are refused again. If the holiday is also a shorter one surely that helps as he won't need as much money. We can also mention him being home for Ramadan and that he cares for his sick grandmother.

gem15

You have to have proof, just writing a letter isnt enough in their eyes. It has to be evidence they can see etc.
I would have thought it would be easier to reapply than to appeal but then again i know someone who appealed against her MI'sL refusal and they changed their minds.

SJK

I'm going to look at the appeal process tomorrow, would I have to travel to Tunisia to appeal against it with him or is he only allowed to appeal?

gem15

Only him as its his visa. :(

SJK

Well we have a plan...after a few days feeling lost, confused, angry and heartbroken and a few days of falling apart and loosing each other we have decided to wait and whilst we wait he will try to get a job with a contract and save more into his bank account, I will visit him next month if my work permits it and if not I will go in May and if he manages to get a job we will try again and if not we will bring the wedding forward by a few weeks so we can start on the spousal visa application. I feel like this has been a huge test on our love and commitment to each other and I feel a huge sense of relief that we are back in sync and reading off the same page...plus with all this snow some time with my fella in Monastir sounds good lol

Jane BM

Well we have a plan...after a few days feeling lost, confused, angry and heartbroken and a few days of falling apart and loosing each other we have decided to wait and whilst we wait he will try to get a job with a contract and save more into his bank account, I will visit him next month if my work permits it and if not I will go in May and if he manages to get a job we will try again and if not we will bring the wedding forward by a few weeks so we can start on the spousal visa application. I feel like this has been a huge test on our love and commitment to each other and I feel a huge sense of relief that we are back in sync and reading off the same page...plus with all this snow some time with my fella in Monastir sounds good lol
Yep absolutely, grab that sun while you can....lol.

The time WILL fly by, especially if you are planning your wedding and visa application. I hope he manages to find some work meanwhile so you can do another visitor visa application. Seems such a shame that a couple who are trying to be sensible and NOT rush into marriage straight away are being penalised for it. Best of luck SJK....xx

SJK

Yep absolutely, grab that sun while you can....lol.

The time WILL fly by, especially if you are planning your wedding and visa application. I hope he manages to find some work meanwhile so you can do another visitor visa application. Seems such a shame that a couple who are trying to be sensible and NOT rush into marriage straight away are being penalised for it. Best of luck SJK....xx
Yeah we've tried the sensible approach and failed but we still don't want to rush into things, as much as we want to get married we know we have to take our time. I'm just annoyed that he might not able to prove himself worthy to my mother but I know he's worthy and that's the most important thing. Plus my mum and him have built up a good relationship so far via txt, Skype and phone over the past year and a bit which is good.

Jane BM

This is the current status and requirements as per UKBA for those wishing to come to the UK on a family visitors visa.

FAMILY VISITORS

Can you come to the UK as a family visitor?
This page explains whether you can come to the UK as a family visitor. A family visitor comes under the immigration category of ‘general visitor’.

Only nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland can be family visitors. If you are an EEA or Swiss national, or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national, the European nationals section explains how you can come to the UK.

To come to the UK as a family visitor, you must be able to show that you will be visiting the following family members in the UK:

• spouse, civil partner, father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister;
  • grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter;
  • spouse or civil partner's father, mother, brother or sister;
  • son or daughter's spouse or civil partner;
  • stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or
  • a person you have been living with in a genuine and subsisting relationship, like marriage or civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply.
If you want to visit a family member who is not listed above, you should come to the UK as a general visitor.

If a child is adopted under an adoption order, that is recognised in UK law, we will treat the child as if they are the natural children of the adoptive parents.

Additionally the family member you are visiting must :

• be a British citizen;
  • be settled in the UK;
  • have been granted asylum in the UK; or
  • have Humanitarian Protection status.
You must be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

• live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits;
  • take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services; including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • do a course of study; as long as this study is not the main reason for your visit (see 'permitted study' below);
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or anentertainer visitor; or
  • receive private medical treatment.
You must also be able to show that:

• you are 18 or over;
  • you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you will be accompanying an academic visitor);
  • you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  • you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  • you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
For information about your rights and responsibilities while you are in the UK, see the Visitors' rights and responsibilities section.

You should provide documents to show that you meet the above requirements. The Documents page contains more information.

You may need to obtain a visa before you can come to the UK as a family visitor. The Do you need a visa? page contains more information.

More information

ronaldinho

question for jane bm :)
i have appealed against my visa desicion and im actually waiting for results , can i apply for family visitor visa as i can prove to them that ill come back for my appeal , and what do i need to do it

Njt11

Hi,
Not sure if I am posting in right part but I was after some advice on a general visitor visa. I have been with my boyfriend since October 2014 and visited him 3 times since, 2 more visits are planned. I would like him to come to uk in November for a couple of weeks to see how I live and meet my family, and from what I have looked at on the ukba the general visitor visa would be the one to choose?? I wondered if anyone has recentlyapplied for this type of visa and the turnaround time for the decision? I suggested doing the application in august as it gives us 3 months which is the earliest we can apply, but he would like to wait until closer to the date so that he has more money in his account and he has been told the turnaround time is quite fast. Can we apply for a visa for a shorter period or does it need to be 1 year 2 years etc as shown on the website...I'm a bit confused!
On a separate note, I've heard from 3 different people that the earnings amount is to be dropped to £10000 as opposed to the £18600? Is this right??
Thanks for any help

Njt11

Hi,
I was after some advice on a general visitor visa. I have been with my boyfriend since October 2014 and visited him 3 times since, 2 more visits are planned. I would like him to come to uk in November for a couple of weeks to see how I live and meet my family, and from what I have looked at on the ukba the general visitor visa would be the one to choose?? I wondered if anyone has recentlyapplied for this type of visa and the turnaround time for the decision? I suggested doing the application in august as it gives us 3 months which is the earliest we can apply, but he would like to wait until closer to the date so that he has more money in his account. Can we apply for a visa for a shorter period or does it need to be 1 year 2 years etc as shown on the website...I'm a bit confused!
On a separate note, I've heard from 3 different people that the earnings amount is to be dropped to £10000 as opposed to the £18600? Is this right??
Thanks for any help

Jane BM

You're confusing the visas....the £18,600 is for a spouse visa, and no they aren't dropping the earnings threshold.

A visitors visa is for up to 6 months and is a totally different criteria. X

Njt11

Okay thanks...I thought that you could act as a sponsor on a visitor visa??or have I got that wrong??
Thanks

marhaba

Hello, A general visitor (holiday visa) would be the one to apply for and it is six months only. I will state that it is extremely difficult to get a visa unless you have met all the requirements, The main requirement is to prove that he will return to his country. Now taking into account you havent been together long they may use that against you. If applied the usual waiting time is between 3 weeks and 3 months for a visa decision.

On that separate note, The 18600 ruling is for spouse visa and it has not changed to 10000.

If i can help you further please ask.

xxx

marhaba

oh and you have to prove that your relationship is strong and durable x