what do Tunisians eat for breakfast?

Marie1959

Cas I wasnt saying you were pathetic earlier hun it was what was going on some just dont want to drop things sorry if you thought i did x

C

Cas

Cas I wasnt saying you were pathetic earlier hun it was what was going on some just dont want to drop things sorry if you thought i did x
No Marie, never thought that at all, it has to be very direct for me to pick up on anything at all lol, even if you had a mere hiccoup in our chat .......no probs.

Essem

Staff member
Off topic! ;)

C

Cas

Down in Douz I bet they eat dates, goat yogurt, that strong brown tea 10x thicker than rouibush and coffee the same. We shall see !

ROULLA

Down in Douz I bet they eat dates, goat yogurt, that strong brown tea 10x thicker than rouibush and coffee the same. We shall see !
Hi Cas hope that you and your family are all well! Now that you mentioned goats yogurt ,,I love eating Anari which is what the Greeks call it and if I am not mistaken it is called gouta in Tunisia if the spelling is right;)
Fresh anari sprinkled with sugar is the perfect breakfast yummy..

Marie1959

yes Caz Mil makes it herself from the goats milk in one of the goat skins, the family as do many others have lots of date trees so its a staple part of the diet there for most. The coffee and tea are really like tar lol but to be honest i dont mind the tea but the coffee i can not stomach although usually my life support is my coffee.
make sure you get the home grown dates when you go they are the best ever and you really can tell the difference xx

C

Cas

Have only had breakfast in the hotels down there Marie and they have been often just getting the big tarpaulines under the date palms ready to harvest around Tozeur. Just bought some new seasons dates here, lovely. I love the silver tray and tiny glasses that come out every hour down at friends farm. Surprise in the mornings to see whether it`s coffee or tea time. Breakfast there is what we want but they seem to eat bread and honey. They laugh as R likes a plate of sliced peppers, tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt.

Jane BM

Well as this thread is what do Tunisians like for breakfast it made me wonder.... my husbands favourite breakfast...hmm... then it came to me... an expresso and marlboro!! x

Jasmine

yes Caz Mil makes it herself from the goats milk in one of the goat skins, the family as do many others have lots of date trees so its a staple part of the diet there for most. The coffee and tea are really like tar lol but to be honest i dont mind the tea but the coffee i can not stomach although usually my life support is my coffee.
make sure you get the home grown dates when you go they are the best ever and you really can tell the difference xx
I agree the coffee is like tar...Strange looks when you add milk to it and spoonful after spoonful of sugar just to make it drink-able :D

Talking of coffee - when visiting Cafes - do you find that sometimes asking for a coffee you will get half a cup of luke warm coffee?? :confused:And i dont get how Tunisians can sit and drink the same coffee for 2 hours (half a cup = 2 mouthfuls) :D

gem15

I agree the coffee is like tar...Strange looks when you add milk to it and spoonful after spoonful of sugar just to make it drink-able :D

Talking of coffee - when visiting Cafes - do you find that sometimes asking for a coffee you will get half a cup of luke warm coffee?? :confused:And i dont get how Tunisians can sit and drink the same coffee for 2 hours (half a cup = 2 mouthfuls) :D
Thats one thing we make sure of in the coffee shop a "HOT COFFEE" theres nothing worse than having a cold cup of coffee!

maynardlynne

haha...i always make M take it back and exchange for a large hot coffee with milk...xx:D

C

Cas

Thats one thing we make sure of in the coffee shop a "HOT COFFEE" theres nothing worse than having a cold cup of coffee!
Please and strong also, if I was there for very long I would miss my Americano with a dash of cream. It`s a known fact that just even a teaspoonful of cream enhances the flavour of coffee.

gabriel612

We always have boiled eggs, cake, yoghurt and fresh juice, that is until I introduced him to porridge this time, he loves it and we had it every morning + boiled eggs + youghurt lol

Hubby won't drink the nescafe I take unless he is desperate and he can't understand English tea with milk:) so we have to go to coffee after brekkie so he can get his fix of capusin with lots of sugar, no wonder he can stay awake till all hours. I don't speak until I have had a cup of tea and he can't function without a cup of tar....lol

Jane BM

Yep, every time i take my PG tips over the whole family look at me with total bemusement!!

maynardlynne

got my M onto kenco and he has started to use milk. still has 3 sugars tho....

Jane BM

MIL always has Nescafe there now for me. Hubby will occasionally do a Latte, but not a chance of coffee with hot water and then a drop of milk, never mind tea, and sugar........jeez no wonder their teeth fall out.... lol

maynardlynne

MIL always has Nescafe there now for me. Hubby will occasionally do a Latte, but not a chance of coffee with hot water and then a drop of milk, never mind tea, and sugar........jeez no wonder their teeth fall out.... lol
pmsl.........my M got me to take him to dentist when he first came to uk........he thought he was gonna come out, like the stars at night, that sparkle so bright..........not a chance. their teeth will always be stained. :D

catwoman1

pmsl.........my M got me to take him to dentist when he first came to uk........he thought he was gonna come out, like the stars at night, that sparkle so bright..........not a chance. their teeth will always be stained. :D
Not just stained with the coffee either - that bloody pipe as well!!!! x

Jane BM

Fortunately mine is OBSESSIVE about brushing his teeth (but then so am i!), and now i take over the Blanx toothpaste just to be on the safe side, he he!!