What is the head covering called...

A

August2005

Hi: Does anyone know what the head covering is called worn by women in southern Tunisia? It is black, coarse fabric, I think, with a blue stripe down the side and I am pretty sure it is worn open (not wrapped around the body). Would appreciate as much detail as possible about the garment. Thanks.

ROULLA

Hi: Does anyone know what the head covering is called worn by women in southern Tunisia? It is black, coarse fabric, I think, with a blue stripe down the side and I am pretty sure it is worn open (not wrapped around the body). Would appreciate as much detail as possible about the garment. Thanks.
Hi August and welcome to the forum!
The only name that I know of that refers to headscaves are called hijab or khimar but that one covers half of the body.
Are you talking about something like this maybe ?

Or maybe something like this

gabriel612

Hi August and welcome to the forum!
The only name that I know of that refers to headscaves are called hijab or khimar but that one covers half of the body.
Are you talking about something like this maybe ?

I have noticed this style near where I live among the young Asian girls. They seem to be getting bigger and bigger and the patterns are getting brighter and louder. I asked about this and was told it is the new fashion now. Some of them are very big but they look lovely. I think the head covering is called hijab and the complete covering from head to toe is called niqab.

Jillimom

I think maybe she means something like this. The caption on the top picture was "Tunisian Jewish woman wearing wedding dress." The second one just said "Traditional Tunisian dress." I saw no pictures of a black fabric though - sorry.

Hope that helps. You can also Google "traditional clothing of Tunisia" and get lots of hits.

lynn

Hijab or burka I think

salim

I think maybe she means something like this. The caption on the top picture was "Tunisian Jewish woman wearing wedding dress." The second one just said "Traditional Tunisian dress." I saw no pictures of a black fabric though - sorry.

Hope that helps. You can also Google "traditional clothing of Tunisia" and get lots of hits.

Me too i think she means that "malya arbi "

Jillimom

^^I couldn't find that actual name for that head-covering so thanks, salim. Where is the OP anyway?