Which is the most popular Traditional food of tunisia ?

rabicamail

Which is the most popular Traditional food of tunisia ?

Tunisianbelle

That is easy - COUSCOUS! :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Mmmmm I could just a bowl of cous cous like his mum makes :)

gem15

Anything with a tomato based sauce. lol

kaylee_bou_absa

Hmmmm cous cous or speghetti xxxx

Soltef

Brik or fricasse-sold on the streets,cheap and tasty.Or 'lablabi'!

kaylee_bou_absa

Ewww i hate lablabi xxx

ROULLA

UALRARK

Cous Cous? I dont know why but I never thought of Cous Cous as being Tunisian. If you say cous cous in the US wouldnt most people say Morocco? But then again, the other day I told someone I was in Tuinisia and he says "Wheres that at in FLORIDA?" LOL!

The most popular traditional Tunisian food has got to be Lablebi. Its pretty distinct and its all over the place.

Now, the most interesting to me id say Aquood, that green plate I cant remember the name, or frikisee. Who would think to deep fry bread and stick Tuna, egg, hot sauce and an olive in it??

ROULLA

Now, the most interesting to me id say Aquood, that green plate I cant remember the name, or frikisee. Who would think to deep fry bread and stick Tuna, egg, hot sauce and an olive in it??
What is aquood Ualrark ? The only green dish that i know of is Slata minswaya and i love that..:p

UALRARK

What is aquood Ualrark ? The only green dish that i know of is Slata minswaya and i love that..:p
Aquood? If I was to call it something in english I would call it Bulls Penis Stew.

Some friends of mine played a joke on me and said that it was a tendon on the leg. Now, Ive taken anatomy and physiology and... it was looking kind of suspicious. It was cut up so it looked like what you would expect a cross section to look like. Like..."What is that hole doing there??" But they kept saying "Walla!" So I believed them and chowed down. :) It was good. My mom cooks oxtail and it tasted like the goo between the vertebrae.

I put it together the next day when I asked some ladies about it at the bus stop and they all went into shock!

The green dish that I am thinking about is not called Maqloob (sandwich thingy) or Makruth (desert thingy) but it sounds like them. Makrude maybe? Im not sure what it is but if you see it you will know. It looks quite alarming.

ROULLA

Aquood? If I was to call it something in english I would call it Bulls Penis Stew.

The above sounds disgusting so glad that i don't eat meat..;)

Some friends of mine played a joke on me and said that it was a tendon on the leg. Now, Ive taken anatomy and physiology and... it was looking kind of suspicious. It was cut up so it looked like what you would expect a cross section to look like. Like..."What is that hole doing there??" But they kept saying "Walla!" So I believed them and chowed down. :) It was good. My mom cooks oxtail and it tasted like the goo between the vertebrae.
Yuk:eek:

I put it together the next day when I asked some ladies about it at the bus stop and they all went into shock!

The green dish that I am thinking about is not called Maqloob (sandwich thingy) or Makruth (desert thingy) but it sounds like them. Makrude maybe? Im not sure what it is but if you see it you will know. It looks quite alarming.
Could it be Mlohia, if so yuk i do not like that at all...:p

Hbrown1

Banned
Hubby loves his cous cous also lubia if thats how you spell it lol xx xx

UALRARK

That sounds right. Its the strangest thing. Like it looks like goo that they use on the Nickalodeon channel!

When I was in Tunis I put myself on a mission to take pictures of any and all Tunisian foods that I could find. I have tons of pictures and im sure that I have pretty much all of the plates except for some regional and the sweets. Like I never got the pictures of Camel's milk from Douz or Makruth which is all over the place. Unfortunately, im still kicking myself for this but I bought the darn $400 camera in Tunisia and the electricity is uncompatible with the USA and somethign about the memory card is different from the computer in my home so it seems that it was all to waste. :(

Im sure I have a good picture of the Bull's penis stew in there too. In case anybody is dying to try it the best place to get it is at the Red Espagne on Rue du Marseille in Tunis Centerville. Its a smokey windowless dumpy cave for a restaurant and all conversation would probably go to a screeching halt of a female walked in there. However, its very quaint and friendly people inside. Has tunisia flags and pictures of the big kahoona posted all over the walls. They would always load my table up with free tidbits to try.

ROULLA

You bought a Camera in Tunisia for $400 dollars 530 TD :eek: what kind of camera is it ?
I don't know what you mean by the electricity :confused: If you place the usb cord and connect it too the camera and the laptop then alls you have to do is download the photos ...

Sorry Ualrark but was this camera made in Tunisia or China:D

UALRARK

I just looked around where I put it last here at my brothers house and I think his girlfriend took off with it when they broke up and she cleared out the house!!! That stupid thing has really been a wate of a month's wage for the average Tunisian. LOL!

What I was thinking about doing was writing a culinary guide to tunisian foods. I had a good name for it, something like "50 foods to try before you leave". You can print up these really cheap booklets from the printers there and put them up for sale at the airport and places like that. I also had my cruddy little dictionary that I posted on here and the startings of a regular phrase book, a little guide of places to go and things to do and, my masterpeice - "flirtionary. What to say to get a date." LOL!

What was happening was as soon as I printed a couple up I could sense that I was in a bit of a predicament. For example, some printers wouldnt even quote me a printing price until AFTER I had given them their own copy of the file to look at. Theres no copyright laws or enforcement so all the Tunisians had to do was photocopy my work and hauk it on the street to the tourists. :( So much for the UALRARK the tunisian media Mogul.

kaylee_bou_absa

Hi Kaylee hope that you are in good health! Oh i do like a nice bowl of Lablabi with plenty of harissa;) yummy..x x
Or "lablahblah" as I call it......... :eek:
Oh Roulla why oh why lol... I think the reason i dont like it was that the first time i had it was after a heavy night out and it just did not go down well lol but im good il still make it and sit with hubby when he wants it lol.. Ha ha ha ha 1989 tell me about it, i went to a resturant once and order it by accident i was ment to order the wrap thing which sounds the same lol but i dont know how to spell it lol xxx

Soltef

Could it be Mlohia, if so yuk i do not like that at all...:p
'Moklia' (or 'muck' as my kids call it)-it's delicious eaten with bread-full of olive oil and greens!One of my Tn favourites!

UALRARK

Do you happen to have an ingredient list for it?