Working in Tunisia

sparkle

maria best thing to do is maybe try for a travel agent job before you go and put tunisia down as your destination required x

selz

Maria...i also think maybe you should do what i am doing, go out there 4 a trial period 2c how u get on, although i do have a Tunisian partner im sure u will make lots of friends there & find life easy 2 settle in 2.
:)

Maria

The first and the main reason I wanna come there for the 3d time is to spend wonderful holidays and then think of more serious things such as working and settling there.

I've got some friends there and I hope to make more! :)

But anyway it would be great to have some ideas about job opportunities before coming.

So creative (and not creative) ideas are welcome! :)

Maria

To Kris: Kris, do you have news from Tunisian embassy in Russia about job options?

Maria

Well, October (and the moment when I quit my present job) gets closer but no fresh ideas or information on working in Tunisia do not appear...Feeling a bit sad...:(

susana ayadi

I have lived in Hammamet for two years off and on when not visiting back in England. I love Hammamet and the people, but of course I am married to a Tunisian. Have never worked in Hammamet though, I think it could be difficult getting work as so many Tunisians find it hard to get work especially during the closed season.

Essem

Staff member
Well, October (and the moment when I quit my present job) gets closer but no fresh ideas or information on working in Tunisia do not appear...Feeling a bit sad...:(

Maria

I think you might have to wait until you arrive there and look around then!

Cathibou

It is very difficult 4 us 2 find work in Tunisia as they reckon if a job needs doing it shud b filled by a Tunisian...
Pity we don't think the same in the uk ie fill our jobs with British people

feefad

Pity we don't think the same in the uk ie fill our jobs with British people
cant say that i agree with that, as where would all our husbands & wives work?? I know alot of non Brits through work and some of them are more skilled and have a much stronger work ethic than alot of Brits. Not sayin that all brits are the case, but living in an area which prob ranks up there in the unemployment levels, alot of people are on the dole due to laziness, working the system, or junkies etc. Why not give jobs to those that are willing to work hard and stay in the job. (and i know some people are unemployed through no choice of their own and are finding it hard to get a job but speaking about what I see where I live)

feefad

Also I used to live in Ireland and had a pretty good job which I wouldnt have been entitled to if they had these views too.

Essem

Staff member
cant say that i agree with that, as where would all our husbands & wives work?? I know alot of non Brits through work and some of them are more skilled and have a much stronger work ethic than alot of Brits. Not sayin that all brits are the case, but living in an area which prob ranks up there in the unemployment levels, alot of people are on the dole due to laziness, working the system, or junkies etc. Why not give jobs to those that are willing to work hard and stay in the job. (and i know some people are unemployed through no choice of their own and are finding it hard to get a job but speaking about what I see where I live)
I've found that many people here just don't want to work. They'll work the system, sure, but that's about it. And everything is for the employee here - no incentive at all for employers/small businesses - it's an absolute nightmare employing staff.

Most of them won't get out of bed for even minimum wage. The system is all wrong here. I have to agree, give the jobs to the people who want to work.

Cathibou

I agree with some of what you say but I have skilled friends who would work for a reasonable wage but can't get jobs because it is cheaper for employers to take on foreigners who work for much much less as it is more than they could ever hope to achieve at home. We bend over backwards in the uk to accomodate all other nationalities, their life styles and cultures to the extent that our own are becoming diluted. For example last year we could no longer have Christmas lights in Birmingham we had to have holiday lights or something equally ridicuous. We all know how difficult it is for our Tunisian partners to enter the uk and find work yet our doors are open to most of Europe whose citizens come to the uk for what they see as a better life !

jacqui0414

i agree with what you are saying Cathibou about us bending over backwards not being able to have christmas lights is going a bit too far after all we are a majority christian country i have to say i would be very unhappy if that happened here. But as Fee said if we did think that way then my hubby would not have been able to get a job and i would have to work 2 jobs :-( and i wouldnt be happy about that.

Maria

Coyote said:
Contact the El Mouradi hotel chain (http://www.elmouradi.com/), they have a big contract with Russian travel agencies and if any hotel would have the need to employ russian native speakers, it would be them.
Russians (women!!) in animations (BTW, also as dancers in Discotheques...) are wanted, because they usually can dance and look attractive and do not mind to work for Tunisian payment. Don't le me go deeper into this, but they are not employed because of their high education or language skills...

You could consider to open up or approach a translation office or language school - with the rising number of Russian tourists (and marriages), demand for translations in and from Russian is growing as well. Finally, you can approach Russian travel agencies and/or travel magazines for a job in Tunisia.
Coyote, thanks for information and advice.

Sometimes I feel so tired of all this office work here in Russia that working as a dancer in Tunisia seems to me the best choice because it combines such lovely things as dancing, meeting new people, friendly environment (no rain and grey sky 300 days a year) etc but I know that everything usually is not as it looks like (especially in hotel business) and in a while I'll be disappointed of this "easy nice job" and will ask for more...

I hope my education and skills will allow me to consider smth more intellectual and challenging then dancing and animation job...:)

Essem

Staff member
We are just too politically correct here now - it's a nonsense!

Maria

Essem, why???

Essem

Staff member
In my view, political correctness is first and foremost an attack on free speech, clear thinking and discussion. eg having to call Christmas lights, holiday lights or similar.

Trulymadlydeeply

I think "Political correctness" is indeed incorrect!!

M

MEMO43

totally agree Essem. If you get tired of staying in Tunisia there is a scottish guy in London whose job you could go for! x

Viss izdosies!

Hello :) I have moved to Tunisia 6 months ago from North Europe.. small country called Latvia.. Till now the time in Tunisia has been just crazy.. but as I have.. more or less.. made adaptation to Tunisia I am searching for a job.. Maybe you have some suggestion.. any work for foreigner.. ?
Thank you! :)