Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 125g dried and ground Mloukhia (Jew’s mallow) leaves.
- 1 chicken
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 440ml passata (tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 bunch of coriander, leaves chopped
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- oil for frying
- Wash the chicken then place in a large pan.
- Cover with lightly-salted water, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, strain the stock and set aside.
- Joint the chicken then fry the pieces in a little oil until browned all over.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan along with the curry powder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper then bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes then stir in the powdered mloukhia.
- Stir briskly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes more
- (if it looks too thick, add a little of the reserved chicken stock).
- In the meantime, fry the onion in a little oil until browned.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and cook until wilted.
- Turn this mixture into the mloukhia stew and cook until well thickened.
- Serve hot on a bed of rice.
Mloukhia is a dark green leafy green vegetable (dating back to the Egyptian Pharaohs) often confused with spinach. It's not spinach nor can spinach be used as a substitute. It has a very unique slimy texture when it's cooked which makes it an ideal for soup.
After ten years of service the Tunisia.com forum is going to close to new posts from August. Please see full announcement in the general announcements section. You will not be able to join or post after that point!Dismiss Notice
Mloukhia au Poulet (Chicken Mloukhia)
Mloukia, also known as the culinary Viagra, was banned by the puritan Fatimids for sending women wild with desire, the humble dark green bitter leaf has had a remarkable story. The name ‘A Jews Mallow’ is derived from a claim that Jewish priests discovered this leaf and introduced it to the ancient culinary world. It did eventually free itself of the restraints of the Moslem Caliph and re launched itself into the hearts and mouths of women and men.