1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Tunisia.com is the largest independent friendly online community in English about Tunisia. If you wish to join discussions or ask a question please feel free to sign up!
  3. If your having problems logging in please check your cookie settings if you are using IE you may have to change you settings to default so that you can log into the forum!
  4. The system for user albums is changing to a new system with more functionality. This means the old albums will be removed. The new system will be installed before the end of next week and then 2 months will be given for members to move their photos from one to the other!

Tunisian sweets

Discussion in 'Tunisian Recipes and Cooking' started by TunisiaNews, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TunisiaNews

TunisiaNews New Member

I had some tunisian sweets recently and they were delicious! They were squares of brown sweet biscuity type stuff with a nutty taste. Can anyone tell me what they are called and how they are made?

2. Mak

Mak Active Member

RE: Tunisian sweets

Hi there,

I'm not really sure but i think it's "Makrouth" it's a square sweet cookie let say and it's brown, inside of it there's a pasta of a sweet sticky brown fruit that grows on a tree called a date palm. So if the sweets you have, have inside date, then it's "Makrouth" and those sweets are especially made in Kairouan in Tunisia, for many years now Kairouan is known by those sweets...

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Makrem

3. TunisiaNews

TunisiaNews New Member

Those look delicious:D

4. Kris

Kris Administrator Staff Member

Media:

I like the lighter ones covered in honey/sugar I love Tunisian sweets and cake hence why I am fatter every time I go to Tunisia. When you go to tunisia you should always bring some of these back with you as good sweet shops are in most towns and they make a lovely gift for parties and offices alike.

My favourite sweet shop is.

Makhlouka
    Bizerte Centre

It is right in the middle of the town near a supermarket they do cakes and coffe also.

Tel 00 2590728
    FAX 00 2590188

5. Mak

Mak Active Member

I really like the sweets in Tunisia ... delicious and good :)
    The Makrouth is very very delicious when it's just made ... warm :) very nice :)

Cheers
    Mak

6. Hank

Hank New Member

Them sweets look great, going to try and find some of them when I visit.

7. denise

denise New Member

Every time I go to Kasserine on the bus I am either given some of these sweets by the young lad at the shop or I buy them. They are lovely. But watch they are made fresh and no flies in them!!!!!!

8. pej

pej New Member

My husband always buys a kilo or two for me to bring home when we go to Kairouan. My friend makes these herself, here's her recipe:

Makrouth

1.5kg very fine semolina,750gm dates ,3/4 litre sugar syrup,1/4 litre honey,oil for frying,1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,1teaspoon fine salt,1/2 tablespoon of ground orange peel,1 pinch saffron,1pinch bicarbonate of soda.

mix semolina with salt saffron and bicarbonate make a well in the middle and poor in 2 decilitres of warm oil,mix rapidly with just enough water to make a homogenous and firm paste, allow to rest for 30 mins. meanwhile
    stone the dates add one decilitre of oil , cinnamon and orange powder and mix to smooth paste , break off pieces and work with hands into sausage shapes approx thickness of index finger.

prepare sugar syrup, and dilute honey into it.

take ball of pastry roll out to 1cm thick and 8-10cm wide place finger of date paste in the middle fold paste around this and form a sausage with the join underneath flatten with your hands and cut into desired shape nomally a losenge.
    :
    continue until pastry is finished keeping made losenges on and oiled tray.

in a frying pan heat oil to 180c approx fry makrouth on both sides until cooked through and dark golden brown drain and plunge in surgar and honey syrup,serve or place in container to keep for up to 1 mth.

9. ammulu

ammulu New Member

It looks mouth-watering :p and delightful. I wish to taste it immediately to know how delicious it is.

10. fiona

fiona New Member

I must say that those look very delicious and I will have to note those down to look for when I go out dining.

11. Essem

Essem Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like the sweets similar to Turkish delight but with pistachio and coconut- don't know what they are called!

12. tater03

tater03 New Member

My husbands wife makes these a couple time a year and he always brings me some home. Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try to make some of my own.

13. ROULLA

ROULLA Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Tatero3,

Hope that you are in good health !
    sorry who makes these cakes, as you said my husbands wife, did you mean his ex wife or is he married to more than one women as im confused...............:)

14. tater03

tater03 New Member

Boy do I feel like a dunce. I meant to say a wife of one of the people my husband works with. My husband better not have another wife. lol

15. katharina

katharina Banned

Eeeew, flies! Well that could certainly ruin a good dessert, couldn't it? How do you tell if they are made fresh? Is there a way to visually see that or do you just ask?

16. ROULLA

ROULLA Super Moderator Staff Member

17. Essem

Media:
    Albums:
    100_2359.JPG 100_2360.JPG 100_2362.JPG 100_2363.JPG

Delicious dark and light Makrouth from the well known 'Makroudh Omrani' in Kairouan

• Like Like x 1
  18. Essem

Media:
    Albums:
    100_2134.JPG 100_2129.JPG 100_2130.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jane BM

Jane BM Moderator Staff Member

Ooh they look sooooo lovely.....sugar heaven eh!!! Aymen was thrilled when we found an authentic Greek takeaway that did Greek desserts which are very similar...so we stocked up..lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. salim

salim Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2