1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Tunisia.com is the largest independent friendly online community in English about Tunisia. If you wish to join discussions or ask a question please feel free to sign up!
  3. If your having problems logging in please check your cookie settings if you are using IE you may have to change you settings to default so that you can log into the forum!
  4. The system for user albums is changing to a new system with more functionality. This means the old albums will be removed. The new system will be installed before the end of next week and then 2 months will be given for members to move their photos from one to the other!

Water

Discussion in 'General Travel tips' started by Hank, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Hank Hank

Hank New Member

Water

Is the tap waterok to drink or is bottled water advisable.

2. candikisses candikisses

candikisses New Member

RE: Water

no u cant drink the tap water

3. candikisses candikisses

candikisses New Member

no u cant drink the tap water

4. candikisses candikisses

candikisses New Member

no u cant drink tap water [:'(], but if u go all inclusive when u ask for water they give u a bottle any way(thats how it was where we stayed)

5. Mak Mak

Mak Active Member

Hi there,

It depends where you will be staying, because in some cities you can drink the tap water and in some others you can't ... and i think in the cities by the coast the water is not good for example in Sousse the water from tap is not good and there you have to buy the mineral water, and it's cheap it's not expensive at all ( 0.25 Euro cent for a bottle) in other cities like Kairouan, Kasrin etcc the water is good there and i believe it's as good as the mineral water :)

Cheers
    Makrem

6. UKPhil UKPhil

UKPhil New Member

Generally there's no real reason todrink the tap water as bottled is so freely available and cheap. The times I have drunk tap it in the Tunis area has generally been when a local has put out a bottleon the dinner table which they had refilled from the tap-tasted a bit funny but no real ill effects.Think its more a case of getting used to the mineral content than any unpleasant bugs lurking!

7. Hank Hank

Hank New Member

Ok, thats great, thanks for all your replys.

8. Grace 111 Grace 111

Grace 111 Active Member

Getting bottled water is good advice. When you're in another country it is recommended. When I visited India I drank bottled water. I was at restaurants and had it too. It always takes a little while for your body to adjust to your location.

9. ROULLA ROULLA

ROULLA Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hi Grace,

Hope that you are in good health !
    The water in Tunisia tastes like bleach, so i dont recomend anyone drinking water in Tunisia unless you are used to it, we always get bottled water which is so cheap anyway.
    I used to brush my teeth with the tap water but i always end up with a sor throat so now we even brush our teeth with boiled or bottled water..................

10. ammulu ammulu

ammulu New Member

I can understand what it is really like when you get to visit other countries, it isn't just water but I heard through few of my colleagues that they had allergies with the food too, though the food was western but still there is a lot of difference in the way they make it.

11. Grace 111 Grace 111

Grace 111 Active Member

That's very true about the water and the food. The bottled water is completely different. So is the food. After you eat the food for a few days, your body kicks in. It became very difficult for my American body to be in India. I should have strengthened my immune system before I left. Now I know better.

12. ammulu ammulu

ammulu New Member

My boss recently visited India and fell sick for almost 2 weeks at a stretch. While I have my cousin who married an Indian and she visits India every year, she is hail & healthy. She loves Indian food over any other foods especially the spicy tinge really makes her mouth watering. I guess the affect varies from person to person.

13. tater03 tater03

tater03 New Member

That is so good to know that you should not drink the tap water. I do know that there are some places where this is advised. I just didn't realize that Tunisia is one of them. Sure wouldn't want to spend my vacation sick. thanks again.

14. jools jools

jools New Member

Hi,

I believe the tap water in Tunisia has quite a high mineral content which most of us do have in our own tap water but not just as high a content, & as a result we are not always able to properly digest this, & it could if taken, could give you a very nasty upset stomach. So to be on the safe side it is better to stick with the bottled water which is very cheap & many of the locals also do not always drink their tap water, whether it is because they prefer it, or it has made them unwell, I am not sure, but rather than ruin your holiday I would advise drinking bottled water.

jools

15. ammulu ammulu

ammulu New Member

It is surely better to have bottled water rather than spoiling the vacation totally. Best way to enjoy your stay in Tunisia, is there any problem with foods in Tunisia?

16. Essem Essem

Essem Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Admin Post
    I always drink bottled water wherever I go - even in Scotland where the water we have is meant to be the best. In Tunisia though I use tap water for tea, coffee, cooking as it'll be boiled. I also use tap water when brushing my teeth and so far no problems. Again with the food, I've never had any problems. They tend to use lots of harissa in many dishes (which I love) but sometimes it can be a bit hot so I think if you're not used to hot, spicy foods best not to overdo it - or pack the Rennies!!

17. Lucy Lucy

Lucy New Member

I think you're all talking nonsense!!!!! My friend lived in Tunisia for years and only ever drank tap water, with no ill effects.

18. ROULLA ROULLA

ROULLA Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hi All,

Hope that you are all in good heath !
    The water is so strong in Tunisia i always wash my plates with cold water and it removes all the grease, thats how strong the water is, you don't need hot water.................................

19. woudlg woudlg

woudlg New Member

Lucy - have you tasted the water????!!! It's like bleach. Even Tunisians opt for bottled as opposed to tap-water! I clean my teeth with it and will drink it boiled in coffee etc. but never straight from the tap. Even if it's 'safe' it's not pleasant!

20. Sousseannika Sousseannika

Sousseannika Active Member

Lucy, it might be nonsense for you...myself rather prefer to speak science - the fact that the flora of bacteria is very individually for each one of us, also others countries bacteria and how it can infects us, is also individually. Sometimes it is the water, sometimes and/or in combination of eating food, fruits etc that has been handling by someoneelses hands and these hands has also handling the money - that you are holding. And where have all this hands been before? Think about it...

..and/or in combination consuming huge amount of oliveoil and spicy harissa, well, it might be the reason for getting some days spoiled..

Myself I always try to avoid the bottled water. Not for any illeffects, it just because of the pleasant feeling of minimazing my "garbagefootprint" in the world. How big is yours?