A task for you

Aslemma

Now that the tourists appear to be returning, I wondered if regular visitors and locals may have some suggestions for interesting places to visit or things to do in the vicinity of the main towns such as Sousse and Hammamet. I am not talking about those trips which the reps in the hotels try to sell, but interesting/quirky/beautiful or just plain weird places which can be explored independently.

To start things off, I'm ashamed to admit that despite visiting Tunisia over 20 times in the past 12 years it was only this last April that I discovered Dar Essid, the old restored merchant's house in the Medina at Sousse. An absolutely fascinating step back in time for the cost of a few dinar. There is a small cafe on the roof which despite not seeming to provide more in the way of refreshment than coffee or coke, has the most fantastic views.

You may also like to mention places which you feel are not worth visiting. From my point of view the catacombs come to mind as there is very little to actually see at present though it is supposed to be a work in progress,

Scottochott

Now that the tourists appear to be returning, I wondered if regular visitors and locals may have some suggestions for interesting places to visit or things to do in the vicinity of the main towns such as Sousse and Hammamet. I am not talking about those trips which the reps in the hotels try to sell, but interesting/quirky/beautiful or just plain weird places which can be explored independently.

To start things off, I'm ashamed to admit that despite visiting Tunisia over 20 times in the past 12 years it was only this last April that I discovered Dar Essid, the old restored merchant's house in the Medina at Sousse. An absolutely fascinating step back in time for the cost of a few dinar. There is a small cafe on the roof which despite not seeming to provide more in the way of refreshment than coffee or coke, has the most fantastic views.

You may also like to mention places which you feel are not worth visiting. From my point of view the catacombs come to mind as there is very little to actually see at present though it is supposed to be a work in progress,
Dar Essid only reopened about a year ago, you're right Aslemma, it is fascinating and the owner gives a very interesting little tour and chat. Lovely place for a quiet drink before you return to the throng of the souk.

Another little gem is the village of Hergla a few miles north of Sousse, starting to get developed but the heart of the old village has charming shops and restaurants. I'm sure Essem has put up photos on the facebook site. My favourite is a little restaurant on the roof of a house and although there is no choice the food is fab, you get whatever the lady is cooking that day, soup, brik, salad, fish of the day. Views are great too.

KheeKhee

Ooooh sounds lovely, how interesting, I was hoping to avoid the 'expensive rep tours', I will be in Sousse 2 weeks today:) , (think I may have already mentioned that! lol). I've only ever visited Sousse for a few hours on a couple of occasions, so these suggestions and others are welcomed.

Aslemma

These were the sort of suggestions I had in mind. Apart from things like the Sahara tour there is so much that can be be visited independently if people are pointed in the right direction. I will certainly try and find that little restaurant.

KheeKhee

So can folks point me in the right direction, how exactly do I get to visit Dar Essid?

Jane BM

If you are ever Bizerte way, take the time and drive or walk all the way along to the end of the Corniche...and further!!!! And you will find some of the most breathtaking views to be seen of the coast...And right by the sea there there is a fabulous little restaurant called La Grod I think...totally out of the way and isolated ( well to me it was anyway!!)...sit outside and enjoy the views....beautiful.

Scottochott

So can folks point me in the right direction, how exactly do I get to visit Dar Essid?
It's near the fish market, on the walls of the old medina. If you follow the old wall you'll find it, eventually! It's agreat place to wander anyway, and try your hand at haggling for bargains in the souk.

KheeKhee

It's near the fish market, on the walls of the old medina. If you follow the old wall you'll find it, eventually! It's agreat place to wander anyway, and try your hand at haggling for bargains in the souk.
Do you know I've never haggled in Tunisia, well not in any souk I mean. Taxis etc. I'm a dab hand lol. I always felt a bit overwhelmed in a souk, any tips?:)

Essem

Staff member

Hi Aslemma

There are pix of Dar Essid on t.com's FB pages but I was there years ago and I believe it's been re-done/re-decorated since then. My pix are the way it used to be.

Essem

Staff member
Best to go in from side that runs parallel with bus and louage station - looking at the Soula Centre, follow road round to the right and it's signposted. It's on a cobbled street with slight incline. Views from the top are breathtaking!

Dar Essid is almost at the top of the back of the medina on r/h side.

KheeKhee

Best to go in from side that runs parallel with bus and louage station - looking at the Soula Centre, follow road round to the right and it's signposted. It's on a cobbled street with slight incline. Views from the top are breathtaking!

Thanks Essem, I know the Soula Centre, how far is it? just some minutes walk I imagine?

Essem

Staff member
These were the sort of suggestions I had in mind. Apart from things like the Sahara tour there is so much that can be be visited independently if people are pointed in the right direction. I will certainly try and find that little restaurant.
Again pix on our fb pages - of the 3 restaurants there in that area - Espalande, Artifex and Cafe Sidi Said - Cafe Sidi Said is absilutely the best. Again lovely views from their balcony overlooking Hergla's old fishing port.

I was along a few weeks ago and they were extending the beautiful Mosque there and also rebuilding and redecorating the small cafe that sits on the corner behind the mosque.

Essem

Staff member
Only a matter of minutes.

Scottochott

Do you know I've never haggled in Tunisia, well not in any souk I mean. Taxis etc. I'm a dab hand lol. I always felt a bit overwhelmed in a souk, any tips?:)
Tips for haggling? Well it's a game really and expected, so treat it as fun and don't be intimidated. They will try the I am poor and have 10 kids to feed routine, you can do the same, I usually start at about a quarter of the price they say and go slowly up. Have an idea of your top price and don't go beyond, I find doing a walk away if you can't agree often gives a result. Remember though it is their livelihood so don't be rude and don't start a haggle if you have no real intention of buying. At the end of the day if you are happy with the price, you've got a good deal. A good tip is to look at prices in a fixed price shop first (in Sousse, the Sula centre on the edge of the medina is a good one), so you are armed with knowledge before you hit the souk. It may be mercenary but times are hard there at the moment and by being polite but tough you can get great deals. A lot of shops will encourage you to sit down and drink a mint tea and chat first, this is a standard routine to lull you into a false sense of security and make you feel you have to buy something, if you have the time by all means do so, it can be fun, but do not feel obligated. Good luck!

Jane BM

You sound like the master at this STC.......

KheeKhee

Lol fantastic! thanks. Well yes, last year I bought 2 handbags in the Soula Centre, even then I got a little discount, it was a female customer advisor by the way. I would always be polite, I can turn on the charm if need be lol, I always find I end up being practically engaged to those guys in the souks before I get my handbag!! lol:D:eek:

Scottochott

I must be thinking of a different place! If you enter by Sula centre, go left and follow the medina wall, near the fish market (interesting in it's own right), there is a renovated building in the walls, also showing how it used to be, cafe on the top, and a further viewing tower to climb up a tiny spiral staircase. Great views out to sea

Jane BM

Lol fantastic! thanks. Well yes, last year I bought 2 handbags in the Soula Centre, even then I got a little discount, it was a female customer advisor by the way. I would always be polite, I can turn on the charm if need be lol, I always find I end up being practically engaged to those guys in the souks before I get my handbag!! lol:D:eek:
Just DON'T got for coffee.....lol

KheeKhee

I must be thinking of a different place! If you enter by Sula centre, go left and follow the medina wall, near the fish market (interesting in it's own right), there is a renovated building in the walls, also showing how it used to be, cafe on the top, and a further viewing tower to climb up a tiny spiral staircase. Great views out to sea
Great! thanks guys so do I go left or right? LOL:eek::)