Adopting a Little Tunisian

rabah

Is it possible in Tunisia adopt child and keep his real family name?
It used to be you could choose to keep the child's real family name or give him/her yours. However, there was a discussion at the National Constituent Assembly of Tunisia not too long ago exactly about the name change of the adopted child. In the Islamic religion, the adopted child becomes every bit as much a full member of their adopted family as any natural child would be. However, Islam does not recommend a name change. The child remains the true brother/sister of the biological siblings and the true son/daughter of the biological parents and by keeping the family name unchanged you avoid the possibility of any undesired encounters between siblings. Based on what was being said in that discussion, keeping the child's real name unchanged may be the only option you have now. I didn't follow the discussion through to tell you whether they eliminated the name change option but either way you win.

Daria

Thanks for all, I contacted with SOS village, which told me contact with I.N.P.E.:)

gem15

There was a tv programme on last night about the maternity hospital in sousse and the fact that there was 140 babies born last year in sousse alone to unmarried mothers. All these babies were abandoned and the system in now looking for foster families. It was said the babies do not see sunlight for the 1st few months as they dont have anyone to take them out.

Last edited:

Jane BM

There was a tv programme on last night about the maternity hospital in sousse and the fact that there was 140 babies born last month in sousse alone to unmarried mothers. All these babies were abandoned and the system in now looking for foster families. It was said the babies do not see sunlight for the 1st few months as they dont have anyone to take them out.
Oh how tragic...and what a shocking number of abandoned babies.

gem15

Oh how tragic...and what a shocking number of abandoned babies.
Sorry was meant to say last year not last month :confused: Now edited

Daria

There was a tv programme on last night about the maternity hospital in sousse and the fact that there was 140 babies born last year in sousse alone to unmarried mothers. All these babies were abandoned and the system in now looking for foster families. It was said the babies do not see sunlight for the 1st few months as they dont have anyone to take them out.
Wallah! It's a big tragic... Wish for all of them good family. It is just 1 city...

Last edited:

Jane BM

Wallah! It's a big tragic... Wish for all of them good family. It is just 1 city...
I thought the same Daria, that's 150 babies in one year in just one city!! Multiply that by even a dozen cities and it's just too much.

janette

T
I thought the same Daria, that's 150 babies in one year in just one city!! Multiply that by even a dozen cities and it's just too much.
Jane - just to keep you all up to date. There is an appeal on Facebook - aimed at Tunisians - asking for urgent help. At the moment, there are 20 babies there and everything one would expect to require for new babies is being requested. I was one of the people contacted. Pleased to say that there has been a good response, and great that the info is out there now and people are reacting positively.

Jane BM

T

Jane - just to keep you all up to date. There is an appeal on Facebook - aimed at Tunisians - asking for urgent help. At the moment, there are 20 babies there and everything one would expect to require for new babies is being requested. I was one of the people contacted. Pleased to say that there has been a good response, and great that the info is out there now and people are reacting positively.
That's good news Janette. If you know the link or FB page, can you pop it on here for us please. Then if anyone can do anything or have family in Tunisia who aren't aware of it and can help, then they can hopefully be directed.

Just so so tragic...

Daria

I think that from small villages women go to big cities to give birth and leave. In small villages all know each other and will more hard to keep secret

janette

That's good news Janette. If you know the link or FB page, can you pop it on here for us please. Then if anyone can do anything or have family in Tunisia who aren't aware of it and can help, then they can hopefully be directed.

Just so so tragic...
Was posted on my page a few days ago Jane, so will have to trawl through later and try to trace it for you xx

gem15

I have a few baby things here I can give away if I had more info as to where they want it. That link would be great Janette!

janette

Got it quicker than i thought. Google translate will help even though it won't be a perfect translation.

From the album: Untitled Album
By ‎Afandina () أفـنـديـنـا‎
اليوم إطلعت على أمر أدمى قلبي و جعلني في هم و غم و لا حول و لا قوة إلى بالله:
في قسم الولدان الجدد في مستشفى فرحات حشاد بمدينة سوسة يقبع قرابة العشرون رضيعا تخلت عنهم أمهاتهم بعد ولادتهم...

أطفال تتراوح أعمارهم بين اليوم و العشرة أشهر يعانون من سوء المعاملة الناتج عن عدموجود إطار خاص يعتني بهم حيث تقوم أحد الممرضات بالعناية بهم خارج أوقات عملها و يعانون البرد و سوء التغذية و عدم إنتظام الوجبة و عدم تأقلمها مع أعمار و متطلباتهم و الأوساخ نظرا لعدم توفر الثياب و الحفاظات بالأحجام المناسبة و لعدم توفر أدوات و مواد التنظيف (تصوروا أن الممرضة لا تجد غير قطعة قماش لتنظيفهم و تنشيفهم) و هو ما سبب لهم إلتهابات حادة و أمراض زادت في معاناتهم الجسدية دون الحديث عن المعاناة و الإضطرابات النفسية التي يعانونها نتيجة فقدان الحنان و الطف في المعاملة حيث تمر الشهور على هؤولاء الرضع دون أن تسمع أو تشاهد حتى الإبتسامة الخفيفة ترتسم على وجوهم...

إخواني و دون الدخول كثيرا في التفاصيل الجانبية و دون البحث كثيرا عن صاحب المسئولية و عن الأسباب العميقة... أدعوا أهل البر و الإحسان أصحاب القلوب الرقيقةو الجمعيات الخيرية و حتى الأحزاب السياسية... إلى التوجه إلى هذا المستشفى و إلى بقية المستشفيات الجامعية لأخذ بعض الثياب لبث بعض الدفء في بأجسادهم و حليب الأطفال و الحفاظات و كل ما يستطيعون فعله و جمعه لبث بعض الدفء و الحنان فيهم و لكم من الله الجزاء الجزيل.

كما أدعوكم و أدعوا الصفحات الصديقة و حتى الغير صديقة إلى تعميم هذه المعلومة و ذلك أضعف الإيمان فالدال على الخير كفاعله و الله ولي التوفيق.

___

Daria

I also have a lot new stuff for kids, i will be happy do bring it with me, when next time i will go to Tunisia.

Daria

Jannete could you say in english please what in that article?

janette

It is saying that the unwanted babies are in the hospital in sSousse and that due to the lack of funds - the staff are not able to give basic care and hygiene to the little ones , so consequently, they are getting ill. Many of the nurses are spending their free time with the babies to give them love and attention. They are asking for basic items needed for little ones from birth to 10 months old.
There has been a good response from the Tunisian people - the majority of whom, were not aware of the situation. Sadly, I get so many situations referred to me and it is simply impossible to help everyone, but this appeal had born fruit thank goodness. Understandably, the majority of tourists are not aware of just how poor Tunisia is -- the needy are in a majority here. Thanks for your interest xxx

Daria

I will ask my husband contact with his father and give some stuff to this children.

janette

If anyone is interested in supporting the children from poor families who are really struggling to cope, they may be interested in this FB page. It is a non profit organisation geared up to help such people. Thanks for your interest. xx

https://www.facebook.com/www.les.oasis

janette

I will ask my husband contact with his father and give some stuff to this children.
Thanks for that Daria - any items can be dropped off at the hospital and every little helps. xx