Adopting a Little Tunisian

ROULLA

My friend took her little girl at 6 months and soon applied for the Austrian passport and she had her 1st trip abroad just after a year old.

The little girl still has the name of her real father, the Tunisian law states they cannot change their surname.
Hi Gem, hope that you and your family are all well!
What I am curious to know is that once adopted are they allowed to immigrate ?
I really don't know the answer to question but my gut feeling is I doubt it as they are quite strict in Tunisia.

gem15

I remember a previous member here was looking into adoption a few years back and she said there would be no problem adopting here and taking the child back to the UK. If the child has a passport other than a Tunisian one and the correct adoption papers I don't see the problem. I guess it must be agreed when the adoption is going thru by the government to have permission for the child to leave.

alison

1. Hi Roulla, no, it is not allowed to take a child out of Tunisian for a least 10 years you have you have to sign documentation to state that you will not remove the child from Tunisia, it is not an easy process to adopt in Tunisia and even harder if you are not a Tunisian national.

gem15

1. Hi Roulla, no, it is not allowed to take a child out of Tunisian for a least 10 years you have you have to sign documentation to state that you will not remove the child from Tunisia, it is not an easy process to adopt in Tunisia and even harder if you are not a Tunisian national.
My friend has taken her adopted little girl to Austria many times thou. She is Austrian and her husband is Tunisian.

alison

You can on holiday but not to live for at least 10 years, it is part of the contract you have to sign.

gem15

I wouldn't have thought it was as easy as the previous member said but she said she had looked into it and was no problem. I guess it's the classic as 10 different people and get 10 different answers.

If people are that desperate to leave Tunisia they could go on "holiday" and not return.

Donna Said

When we were going through adoption process last year we could have taken a child abroad e.g. on holiday but u need to get courts permission if u are only fostering. two routes to take full adoption or fostering .very different process but it can be done.

Mrs H

H's uncle and his wife adopted a little girl about 4 years ago. They spend most of their time in Germany although they are both Tunisian. The little girl attends nursery in Germany. There probably are rules and regulations in place but they choose to ignore them.

gem15

I knew there was one in Kantaoui somewhere. It's good to have the info now so I can donate some stuff.

Essem

Staff member
It's near the Caruso Hotel, not sure exactly where yet but will post directions when I know.

gem15

I was told it was behind the fashion cafe area. When you find out please let me know.

alison

Thanks Donna :)

Jane S

Hi I know this is an old thread but I would like to talk to any of you involved in the Tunisia orphanages. I would to do some volunteering both in and outside Tunisia. Thanks :)

Dsg

Hi Miss Metal, just wanted to share my experience with you on adoption in Tunisia, my husband and I were accepted as adoptees in Tunisia in December 2013 I believe we were only three weeks away from finalising the documents but unfortunately due to my illness we had to leave the country, I was heart broken we even had the nursery all decorated and ready. My husband is Tunisian and I am British, I did not find the process difficult, we went to the Adoption Bureau in Tunis and were given a list of documents we had to produce, bank statements, P60, one months wage slips, marriage certificate, birth certificates, and CRB check for both of us, my husband needed CRB check from Tunis and the UK, we were in constant contact with the local social worker she came to visit our home to check suitability, we had a couple of interviews with a psychologist and another interview with the Adoption bureau and then it was a matter of waiting for the OK in all it nearly took 8 months. You have to decide if you want to go down the Kafala route (this allows adults to take care of abandoned minors in accordance with Islamic law) you become a guardianship of the child, the child retains their original family name you would have to get the courts permission to take the child out of the country even for a holiday or full adoption, and the social worker would continue her monthly visits, the other option is full adoption which involves the courts we did not go down this route so I am not sure how long this would take, we visited the babies that were available for adoption many times they just melt your heart, beautiful babies. Age wise a women needs to be under 50 years and the husband under 45.
Our religion was not an objection I am Catholic whilst my husband is Muslim, the child being born a Muslim would always remain a Muslim.

Dsg

Is it possible in Tunisia adopt child and keep his real family name?
It used to be you could choose to keep the child's real family name or give him/her yours. However, there was a discussion at the National Constituent Assembly of Tunisia not too long ago exactly about the name change of the adopted child. In the Islamic religion, the adopted child becomes every bit as much a full member of their adopted family as any natural child would be. However, Islam does not recommend a name change. The child remains the true brother/sister of the biological siblings and the true son/daughter of the biological parents and by keeping the family name unchanged you avoid the possibility of any undesired encounters between siblings. Based on what was being said in that discussion, keeping the child's real name unchanged may be the only option you have now. I didn't follow the discussion through to tell you whether they eliminated the name change option but either way you win.

Hi
I wonder if you can help
Me and my partner would like to adopt
How do we start the process what do we need?
We are going to Tunisia in one week
Thanks