American visa

orlandobird

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding marriage visa to the US.

I'm asking on behalf of my brother in law who is Tunisian but also lives in America and has a American passport .he is marrying a Tunisian girl and obviously wants to get her a visa to be able to live with him in the US.
They plan to marry in Tunisia then apply for a visa.
Can you please tell me the process / difficulty / regulations / cost etc etc

Thanks in advance , all help is greatly appreciated.

Essem

Staff member
I don't have a clue OB. Has he been in touch with the Embassy?

orlandobird

I don't think so . I'm just concerned as I don't think he realises what is involved and I just wanted to gather some info just so I can tell him a few things so when the time comes he knows that it will be difficult .

Essem

Staff member
Will he be willing to go back to Tunisia if she isn't allowed to go to the US?

missmetal

Just out of curiosity, are you in Tunisia or in the US yourself? Your name appears you're in the US but you might not be :)

How did he get his immigration papers for the US? It will pretty much be a very similar process in terms of background checks, family history and all that. He'll have to prove that the relationship as in genuine, show any financial support and all that. So apart from the marriage stuff he'll probably want to look here

http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Trulymadlydeeply

Did the laws in the Uk change with regards to sponsored nationals divorcing then becoming a sponsor themselves? Thought they put a stop to it and rightfully so too IMO...

Jane BM

I know it was something they talked about, I'd need to check it out though.

missmetal

Did the laws in the Uk change with regards to sponsored nationals divorcing then becoming a sponsor themselves? Thought they put a stop to it and rightfully so too IMO...
He's American though....

I heard tho that UK sponsored person cannot sponsor someone...but not sure if implemented yet...Jane's on it :)

orlandobird

I'm
Just out of curiosity, are you in Tunisia or in the US yourself? Your name appears you're in the US but you might not be :)

How did he get his immigration papers for the US? It will pretty much be a very similar process in terms of background checks, family history and all that. He'll have to prove that the relationship as in genuine, show any financial support and all that. So apart from the marriage stuff he'll probably want to look here

http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

No I'm not in the US. Not sure how he first got his papers for the US . I think he was a student at the start.
He has a house and a good job so financially he should be ok.

orlandobird

Yes I think so as I know he really misses his home and family
Will he be willing to go back to Tunisia if she isn't allowed to go to the US?

orlandobird

I'm not in the US. I think he first went over on a student visa

http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html[/QUOTE

Trulymadlydeeply

I know an ex member posted everything need for a US visa not sure where maybe you could search it in our visa section? I'm on my mobile at the minute so not possible...

Jane BM

Ok, I've had time to check it out....this of course only applies to UKBA, but I've just trawled through their site and yes they've put a stop to Third Party sponsorship.....

The financial aspect of the application can only be down to the applicant and sponsor.....

missmetal

Sorry I'm confused by this.

When you say 3rd party sponsorship that implies you and possibly another family member want to sponsor a spouse.

Or does it refer to a divorced sponsor being allowed to sponsor a new spouse?

Also is there a limit to how many times you can be sponsored? As in if you divorce, can you be responsored?

Not sure how you found anything on the new site it's so horrible now.
Ok, I've had time to check it out....this of course only applies to UKBA, but I've just trawled through their site and yes they've put a stop to Third Party sponsorship.....

The financial aspect of the application can only be down to the applicant and sponsor.....

Trulymadlydeeply

Hmmm interesting MM, if the sponsored person gets divorced before obtaining ILR legally they have no rights to stay in the Uk, I suppose if they had someone waiting in the wings ready to oblige maybe they could argue the case...???

missmetal

Hmmm interesting MM, if the sponsored person gets divorced before obtaining ILR legally they have no rights to stay in the Uk, I suppose if they had someone waiting in the wings ready to oblige maybe they could argue the case...???
Ya that's the thing. They won't leave ok their own will they. So was just wondering if there was something in law.

Jane BM

Sorry I'm confused by this.

When you say 3rd party sponsorship that implies you and possibly another family member want to sponsor a spouse.

Or does it refer to a divorced sponsor being allowed to sponsor a new spouse?

Also is there a limit to how many times you can be sponsored? As in if you divorce, can you be responsored?

Not sure how you found anything on the new site it's so horrible now.
I don't know, you answer one question and you get 10 more...Lol:p

On the new site it actually comes under Long visit visas I think now, then ILR comes under settling in the UK. However, when you initially apply to settle here, you used to be able to include other people in the financial aspect, ie Parents etc, whereas now the financial responsibility of earning £18,600 is solely on the sponsor which has to be the spouse. So no more third party sponsorship.

As for in a case of divorcing, well yes in effect if you've seperated prior to ILR then there's a possibility you won't get ILR. On the application it does ask if you're still together, if you're not, it asks for your circumstances, so I'd imagine each case is judged on its own merits. Guess it depends to them whether you're working, whether you've children etc etc.

As for having a new sponsor, well if you've split prior to ILR and met someone else, who knows!!! There's nothing I can find in there that covers that!!! Lol....

There's no limit to how many times the UK spouse can be a sponsor, again at the end of the day they'd have to prove to the UKBA that they have a genuine and subsisting relationship. We've had members on here before who've been married a couple times to Tunisians and gone through the visa process. Long as you can meet the criteria, which remember ISNT just financial, then can't see why not!